Blue columbian?

wishful

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 2, 2010
Tacoma, WA
Is there such a thing as blue columbian? (Also, on that note, is it "columbian" or "colombian"? I've seen it spelled both ways and I'm confused.) I don't mean like coronation - though that is pretty. I mean the marks on the neck and tail would be black and then where it's white (or buff) in other colours, that part be blue? Does that even make sense? I guess it might not exist since the chickens who didn't get the blue gene and ended up black would just look like black chickens and not exactly be exciting. But I think a blue columbian like that would be rather pretty.
smile.png
Though I should probably studying for my finals right now instead of wandering BYC reading about chicken genetics. >.<

yes there are blue colUmbians... easy to make, mate a blue birchen/ partridge to a columbian and keep mating the offspring back to columbian.

Most people, when thinking of blue columbian, think of the coronation coloration (only with andalusian blue, not lavender/self-blue). I've never seen a bird like you're describing, but that's not to say it isn't possible
smile.png

A blue columbian, as in with the black hackles and blue body, would not be possible. Blue dilutes black, so if the body is blue, the hackles would be as well. As mentioned above, blue birds can appear to have black hackles, although it's really just a dark blue.

Ok, thanks
smile.png
I didn't think it was possible, but figured I'd check. I should have realized the blue gene would have diluted the hackles as well. Somehow I was thinking it wouldn't affect them.

But to me what would be AWESOME would be like a reversed Light Columbian, like with a black body and white hackles and tails. Though I dont think that is possible either.

Yeah, I think I saw a thread about that. That would be really pretty
smile.png
Now I wish I had chickens so I could mess around with breeding and see what turns up. And then eventually figure out some breeding project to work towards. Darn those birds, why do they have to be so pretty?

Yep there was a thread about it, it was funny because I had already been thinking of it and then somebody else posted a thread about it.

And yep, you gotta get you some chickens sometime, genetics and projects are so fun, but they take a lot of time and work.

I know this is an old thread, but I just had the idea of having a blue buff Columbian color? Not sure that's what you would call it, but basically take a buff brahma and replace the black hackles/tail with blue or lavender. Sort of like a blue wheaton I suppose just that there would be the lacing around the neck.

Any genetics guru's know how one would go about the process if its at all possible?

Back
Top Bottom