Blue Copper Marans chicks pullets or cockerels?

Thanks all for your input! Can anyone explain about the black comb? Is that common to specific breeds, and ar what age would it change to red?
It's just extra Melanizers from the Extended Black Genes. Blue is diluted black.
The dark face may stay, but it oftentimes fades, or goes away as the chicken ages. This is completely separate from Gypsy Face, a dark facial pigment that's also sexlinked.

It's just extra Melanizers from the Extended Black Genes. Blue is diluted black.
The dark face may stay, but it oftentimes fades, or goes away as the chicken ages. This is completely separate from Gypsy Face, a dark facial pigment that's also sexlinked.
Interesting! I was surprised to see a black comb, I've never had a Blue Copper Marans before.

Interesting! I was surprised to see a black comb, I've never had a Blue Copper Marans before.
It can be surprising to see if you'd never experienced it on a different breed.

Here's dark face before it fades. Not as extreme as your bird though.
20230621_094055.jpg
20230721_175628.jpg
And mostly gone.
20230904_135223.jpg

@16 and me I really hope you update with results when the genders are truly known. My money is on the're both pullets.
Absolutely! I can see now how difficult it is to identify at such an early age. I've seen every possible outcome in the answers! I will post updated pics in a few weeks, and see if the responses change & once confirmed, I'll post again! This is quite a learning experience!

Absolutely! I can see now how difficult it is to identify at such an early age. I've seen every possible outcome in the answers! I will post updated pics in a few weeks, and see if the responses change & once confirmed, I'll post again! This is quite a learning experience!

I have 6 of this same breed that are 6 weeks now. Mine looked just like yours and so far all still have tiny combs.
If yours are boys Imma eat my hat. :D

Back
Top Bottom