BLUE earlobes. Not white, BLUE. Normal?

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
I never noticed it, but my EE girl Cocco has BLUE earlobes. I know she's at least 2+ years, possibly 3+. And they are BLUE, and she does lay blue eggs. My spitzhauben girl, Skye, also has VERY blue earlobes.

I'm not talking blue tinted, I'm talking full-blown neon baby blue earlobes.

I can get a picture, if needed.

Is this normal?

I've seen it before. My only hatchery-based Easter Egger has blue earlobes, though she lays (if ever) light brown eggs. Also, Silkies have a very blue earlobe and lay light brown eggs.

Quote:
I can't be sure of her bloodlines, I saved her from a horrific auction. But Skye is a hatchery bird from Ideal.

I had heard of silkies blue earlobes, but I've never actually owned a silkie to see them. And I'm sure neither of my girls have silkie blood.

Is this genetically normal, I guess is my actual question. Does it have any genetic implications? It seems strange that a white egger has them, but so does my blue egger.

Quote:
I always thought it did..... so it's just another myth hid as fact?
sad.png

Yep. No genetic basis whatsoever. Mediterranean breeds tend to have white earlobes and lay white eggs; american and asiatic breeds tend to have red earlobes and lay brown eggs, but htere are a number of examples of white lobed birds who lay brown eggs and red lobed birds who lay white. I'll try to think of examples, but it's late.

Back
Top Bottom