Blue egg layers in China

⑥WenShang Luhua chicken
First of all, I want to say, "Luhua" in Chinese means the flowers of reeds. Chinese people like to name animals with something similar once. Though they look very much like barred rock chicken, but I'm sure they are not the same breed.

Wenshang Luhua chicken has a long history. They come from the northern China of Wenshang County in Shandong province. As early as the Ming Dynasty, local people began to feed a large number of this chickens. During the Guangxu period of the Qing Dynasty, there were records of "Wenshang Luhua Chicken" on the records of the people and Wenshang County.

Although they were very popular in ancient times, they almost disappeared in 1949 after the founding of New China. When people discovered this, they were less than pandas.

Later, as many foreign breeds came into China, the cost of raising Luhua chickens became higher and higher. Take barred rock, which is similar to them, for example, Luhua grew slower, thinner, smaller and p
layed fewer eggs than barred. As a result, most chicken farmers slowly eliminated Luhua chickens and turned to foreign breeds or hybrid breeds (including barred rock, a substitute for luhua). Very soon, the origin of Wenshang is also hard to see Luhua chicken.

Until 2004. The turning point came when Luhua Chicken Association was established in Wenshang, a national conservation farm and a standardized chicken house were established, and the most advanced hatching equipment in China was used. Since then, pure Luhua Chicken has been truly preserved.

But now, most people still think their barred is Luhua.However, I think the color of the Luhua should be cockoo, not barred. Though they are very similar.

Luhua chicken has 130-150 eggs per year, up to 180. Their eggs are pink or white. 5% of the Luhua chicken has blue eggs.Now China's chicken lovers have chosen specialized breeding of luhua chicken with blue eggs. And has succeeded. They get nearly 100% of the blue eggs.

Most of the Luhua chickens are white with skin, feet, and beak.
Their tail feathers are upturned to make them look like China's ingots. At the same time, Luhua comb is very special, rooster comb is not big, but the hen comb is not small.

Their tail feathers are upturned to make them look like China's ingots. At the same time, Luhua comb is very special, rooster comb is not big, but the hen comb is not small.

this is Luhua chicken:
9338D65F95D3650875B1AF7357A787A4.jpg
-3aa476ff99af654e36cc94860ca25170.jpg

IMG_20181113_154429.jpg

800161351.jpg

ROO&Hen:
-70ece4ac130914a3cc180c485184da2.jpg
hen:
-1ada58a761c438a86cf0ae81a4f787eb.jpg

eggs:
31B48AE303F89A1D2C7FA089536419CD.jpg
-859689147.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_154429.jpg
    IMG_20181113_154429.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 7
Good grief! Do you live at the chicken farm? That's a lot of chickens and eggs!!! But. Thank you for the info. Just curious. Does anyone ship eggs or chickens from China? Don't get me wrong. I'm only interested in history. I'm allergic to eggs...Long story. Yes, I have two rescue chickens but I generally don't eat the eggs. I give them to family. On the other hand, I find it disturbing that there is so little information out there about chickens, etc of other countries. I don't like to travel but am always really curious. The background of your home, etc. looks so lovely. I live on Oahu and there are places here that the mountains and mist sometimes look like that. You are lucky.

Good grief! Do you live at the chicken farm? That's a lot of chickens and eggs!!! But. Thank you for the info. Just curious. Does anyone ship eggs or chickens from China? Don't get me wrong. I'm only interested in history. I'm allergic to eggs...Long story. Yes, I have two rescue chickens but I generally don't eat the eggs. I give them to family. On the other hand, I find it disturbing that there is so little information out there about chickens, etc of other countries. I don't like to travel but am always really curious. The background of your home, etc. looks so lovely. I live on Oahu and there are places here that the mountains and mist sometimes look like that. You are lucky.

Apologies if I posted twice. Early morning for you, late at night for me. In fact, my brain was trying to figure out if you were ahead many hours for me or vice versa. I think you are ahead. Anyway, thank you. I enjoyed reading your information. Good night!

Thank you for your reply. Actually, I am just a chicken lover. I have other work to do. I work for a radio station. I live in the city, not in the countryside. I don't have a farm. But luckily, I have my own yard and a rooftop. I keep chickens there. I only have more than fifty chickens. I like to learn more knowledge and bring it to my friends. And some of them are chicken farmers. When I wanted to publish some Chinese breeds here, they gave me a lot of pictures of their farms.

I’m impressed by your historical knowledge of the differing breeds, not to mention your written English.
Which are the best cold hardy breeds you have in China?

I want to apologize for my written English. I've always lived in China, so I rarely speak English, and I only use it when I travel abroad. When I went to Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam, I thought I could express myself, but when I went to New Zealand last year, I felt I couldn't keep up with the local people. So I am sorry that I can only use my written English to answer as much as possible.

If you want to ask the chickens who endure the cold, I can only tell you that the chickens who live in the mountains and the chickens in northern China are very cold-resistant, but I think they are more cold-resistant than the breeds of chicken farms, such as ISA brown, Hy-line, White Leghorns and so on. These chickens are hard to survive in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom