1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue-eyed turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Blisschick, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I'm curious as to how common this is. I have a poult that's about 3 months old, and he's really turning out to be a real beauty. He's mottled black and has deep gray-blue eyes. I know he's a product of one of my blue slates, who I've noticed have a ring of the same blue around the brown iris. I also once had a poult hatch with one blue and one brown eye, but unfortunately, it didn't survive. All my other turkeys have either black or brown eyes. Is my guy just one of those rare occurances, or are blue eyes fairly common among domesticated flocks?

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    My White Hollands have blue eyes. I have two cross breed turkeys White Holland/Bronze and they have blue eyes.

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I think they're rather striking to look at. No one expects to see something like that. He's the only one out of 21 poults that has blue eyes. That he's black makes it all that much more noticeable.

4. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    All of my 3 poults have this grey blue eye colour.

5. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Do you have any site problems with your blue-eyed turkeys. Blue eyes have been linked to blindness. Thats one reason they stopped breeding Blue-eyed White Hollands.

I did have a hen hatch a poult that had clear light blue eyes. I was sure it was blind. You could see no puple. It would peck everywhere until it found food. By about a week old it eyes changed and you could see that he was starting to see. The eye changed to a normal dark color. Very Strange.

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    No, I haven't noticed any problem at all. He does just a well and behaves just as normally as all the others.

7. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    The white gene on a black base is a blue eyed turkey. On a bronze base it is normal eyes.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by