Blue-eyed turkey?

Blisschick

not rusty
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Shepherd, Texas
I'm curious as to how common this is. I have a poult that's about 3 months old, and he's really turning out to be a real beauty. He's mottled black and has deep gray-blue eyes. I know he's a product of one of my blue slates, who I've noticed have a ring of the same blue around the brown iris. I also once had a poult hatch with one blue and one brown eye, but unfortunately, it didn't survive. All my other turkeys have either black or brown eyes. Is my guy just one of those rare occurances, or are blue eyes fairly common among domesticated flocks?

I think they're rather striking to look at. No one expects to see something like that. He's the only one out of 21 poults that has blue eyes. That he's black makes it all that much more noticeable.

Do you have any site problems with your blue-eyed turkeys. Blue eyes have been linked to blindness. Thats one reason they stopped breeding Blue-eyed White Hollands.

I did have a hen hatch a poult that had clear light blue eyes. I was sure it was blind. You could see no puple. It would peck everywhere until it found food. By about a week old it eyes changed and you could see that he was starting to see. The eye changed to a normal dark color. Very Strange.

The white gene on a black base is a blue eyed turkey. On a bronze base it is normal eyes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom