Blue jays killing baby birds

nuts4chickens

Songster
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Kingston, GA
Where we live used to be a bird sanctuary many years ago, so we have a plethera of all kinds of pretty song birds, etc around. It started with a tiny wren building a nest in the bush by our front door. Me and the kids watched as she carefully aranged every twig, followed by 4 tiny little blue and brown speckled eggs. We watched her set, then hatch the tiny babies, and every day we would secretly peer into the nest which was at eye level to have a gander at the tiny little ones. Then, suddenly one day the featherless little ones were gone. All four of them. Then next was a mocking bird. Again, she built her nest in an adjacent bush and although her nest was easy to peer into, she was much more protective so we were very careful as to not get divebombed. Same thing, 4 tiny babies hatched. Then a few days later, GONE... All four. Nest totally wrecked. Then there were the cardinals. Same thing, nest in a bush, easy to look into. 4 eggs. Hatched. A week later, before they feathered... GONE. We couldn't figure out what in the world was getting all the baby birds. Well- I finally figured it out. We have a bluebird house in the backyard, and I saw a blue jay carrying something large across the yard and drop it. I ran outside to see what it was, and low and behold... an almost fully feathered bluebird chick without a head. A few feet away...was his brother, or sister who had met the same demise. I HATE BLUEJAYS! These bluebird chicks were about the same size as a day old chicken chick. Although I don't have baby chicks right now, it makes me uneasy thinking it could pick off a few chicks from a broody, too. I have never heard of bluejays killing other baby birds. But I googled today, and much to my surprise, they indeed ARE known for being nest snatchers. Thinking about breaking out the old pellet gun. My yard is full of these maniac birds!

Blue Jays are an indigenous species and that is part of their food source. I know I wouldn't want to see it either, but since they are a native species they are just doing what they should be. Blue Jays are actually small crows, so they are kind of rough.

I hate starlings, english sparrows and eurasian collared doves. The first 2 deprive our native species of natural cavities to nest in and the third is displacing our native dove species.

Why hate the jays? They are doing what they must to live. It is nature, nature is cruel. I have seen jays kill mice before, it is just the way it is. I don't hate the invasive species either, it is not their fault people brought them here. But they do not belong, and need to be controlled or eradicated if possible. Starlings and english sparrows kill native species of song birds, you just don't normally see it. They compete for nesting spots and food. I have seen english sparrows kill wren chicks for the nest, not for food.

Last edited:
I was just kidding about the pellet gun. I guess I just learned something new today. Wish I knew more about wild birds. It was just sad especially to see the cardinals gone. I read up on them a little bit when they built their nest. Just really interesting. Maybe I have found a new hobby in birdwatching. But I think I will still keep jays on my "not like so much" list...pretty birds, just barbaric little creatures!

I didn't know blue jays were so aggressive.I have been trying to protect the blue birds from wren and house sparrow attacks. And here I liked the blue jays because they make a fuss when the hawks are around. A few days ago a crow was stalking a robin nest and took a baby right from the parents.Quite sad to see. Nature can be so harsh.We nursed 2 cottontails last summer and the day after we released them we were witness to a cat killing them.Awful sight and sounds for my then 7yo ds to deal with.

Maybe the nests are too close to the blue jay nest/territory? I read to space all my bird houses so the birds from one will not attack the neighboring house.

I had several nests of bluebirds go missing this year, and I just couldnt figure out what it was. I didnt think it was a snake, because I have such a rodent problem. Now I wonder if it wasnt blue jays. Ive never seen any around my bluebird house, but I do have jays around.

Hi! I've seen crows 'raid' blue jay nests and carry off blue jay babies lots of times here.
It's nature.
smile.png

Lisa

Remember too that blue jays are corvids (crow family) and can be aggressive and territorial. But like already said, it is nature.

Back
Top Bottom