Blue kote application

Th55

Chirping
Jun 24, 2018
Camden, Arkansas
Need recommendations for which type of blu kote applicator to get? Currently my primary use is to mark quail for breeders and medical treatment as required.
The stuff I see on the forum reminds me of Prussian Blue machinist dye, one drop of that stuff can paint a school bus.
Prefer not to look like a smurf after marking birds.

Last edited:
I understand the idea of the zip tie and that it can work great. We did have a bad experience with our goose we got from Metzers farm..they are supposed to fall of as they grow...I think those aren’t even zip ties..just like rubber expansions...but ours didn’t fall off...when we got our bird from the previous owner his leg was swollen...first thing we did was cut it off. It left a mark. Anyways..is there anyways...and I have no clue if this would work...but what about trying the long tube that goes on the WD40 bottle onto the blue Kote bottle? Maybe you just need to wear gloves when marking the birds.... I know it’s a pain.

I spritz with standard spray blu-kote to mark my cocks as I prefer to swap in a new cock annually and having them marked makes it much easier for me to observe the dynamics within the covey and ensure that he's 'doing his job'. I spray it on the breast feathers and it lasts several months (my quail have never molted, so if yours molt, your mileage may vary). I tried just spritzing a foot, but found that the pigment would wear off in less than a month.

I have zip ties but as difficult as they are to hold sometimes I figured getting a tie on a leg by myself would overshoot my patience level.

Back
Top Bottom