Blue Laced Red Wyandotte 5 weeks old pullet??

89D49D88-53EB-4CD8-B756-5DC680BDF64C.jpeg
I also have a 5 week old laced Wyandott, but mine is a SLW, Do You think she is a hen? She had red wattles and comb, but her feathers look like a hen, and they are small

View attachment 2562298I also have a 5 week old laced Wyandott, but mine is a SLW, Do You think she is a hen? She had red wattles and comb, but her feathers look like a hen, and they are small
Did you buy it as a sexed pullet or straight run? There’s only a 10% chance (most hatcheries) of ventilation sexing being wrong, I think.
Did you just give it a bath? I bathed my little Ameraucana chick and its comb really turned red with the warm water & blow dry. I think it’s too early to tell on feather-wise because male feathering doesn’t come in until later.
Both my Cochin pullet & my Wyandotte pullet had red combs at five weeks, so I’d say you are still in the running for a pullet (or a cockerel!). I watch my chicks interact with each other and only have had one pullet who chest bumped with the cockerels (making me think she was a he). Most of my pullets have no shown dominance in the brooder like the cockerel chicks have. Also the boys stand up taller and have thicker legs. I’ve had less than 50 chicks in my five years of having poultry, so I’m be no means an expert!

View attachment 2562298I also have a 5 week old laced Wyandott, but mine is a SLW, Do You think she is a hen? She had red wattles and comb, but her feathers look like a hen, and they are small
Heres one of my wyandotte males at 6 weeks yours looks like a pullet unless its the only male you have and might be maturing slower but i dont think its a male
20210307_142827.jpg

Did you buy it as a sexed pullet or straight run? There’s only a 10% chance (most hatcheries) of ventilation sexing being wrong, I think.
Did you just give it a bath? I bathed my little Ameraucana chick and its comb really turned red with the warm water & blow dry. I think it’s too early to tell on feather-wise because male feathering doesn’t come in until later.
Both my Cochin pullet & my Wyandotte pullet had red combs at five weeks, so I’d say you are still in the running for a pullet (or a cockerel!). I watch my chicks interact with each other and only have had one pullet who chest bumped with the cockerels (making me think she was a he). Most of my pullets have no shown dominance in the brooder like the cockerel chicks have. Also the boys stand up taller and have thicker legs. I’ve had less than 50 chicks in my five years of having poultry, so I’m be no means an expert!
We didn’t give her a bath, thanks so much though for the knowledge, we got her at Wilco, so a 10% male.

I know, I mentioned her being a splash laced in my first post... I know the title says BLRW, because she was purchased as a BLRW and the hatchery description said they could either be splash laced, blue laced, or black laced... so she’s still a BLRW, not a SLRW, right? I’ve never seen that second acronym used.
She would be a SLR. Hatcheries sell them all as BLRs probably to reduce confusion or for marketing purposes.

Back
Top Bottom