Blue Laced Red Wyandotte 5 weeks old pullet??

Don’t give up so easily! ❤ It’s still too early to be sure. Wyandottes pink up early, pullets too. My BLRW pullet looked very much like that at the same age. Wait until 12-14 weeks and then repost if you are still in doubt. 😊

Thank you! I'm not giving up hope... I'm still calling this chick "Lacey," and I've been googling wyandottes combs all day trying to find more than the two happy hen endings I've found with red combs/wattles this early. But even if it is a roo, we will keep it. In fact, we just finished building a new coop for the future extra roosters. I've read that bachelors can happily live together, so that's our plan. I'll put one or two roos in with my hens (I think I'll have 14 hens altogether with my layers and these chicks) and the extra boys will live a celibate life together in the second coop/run and hopefully like it that way.

I plan on coming back to update this thread with a crow or egg story. So many of the gender threads leave me wondering what ended up happening.

Thank you! I'm not giving up hope... I'm still calling this chick "Lacey," and I've been googling wyandottes combs all day trying to find more than the two happy hen endings I've found with red combs/wattles this early. But even if it is a roo, we will keep it. In fact, we just finished building a new coop for the future extra roosters. I've read that bachelors can happily live together, so that's our plan. I'll put one or two roos in with my hens (I think I'll have 14 hens altogether with my layers and these chicks) and the extra boys will live a celibate life together in the second coop/run and hopefully like it that way.

I plan on coming back to update this thread with a crow or egg story. So many of the gender threads leave me wondering what ended up happening.
Yes, would be nice when people find out for sure what they have, that they post an update so that we can hone our sexing skills!😊
I have seen in many instances with Wyandottes more than other breeds, that people come back and say that what everybody said was a boy ended up being a girl. Just saying.

So awesome you get to keep your boys. Hard to give them up once you’re attached!
I’m looking forward to it! We’ve had chickens since March 2016, but culled the 4 roosters we hatched out that year because they were attacking my young kids. We’ve bought sexed pullets since then until this fall. My eldest wanted silkies and they are straight run only (from what I’ve found). So we have a three silkies (who all look male at 10 weeks, but they say they are hard to figure out), one showgirl who I think is a pullet, a crowing Ayam Cemani cockerel, a crowing White crested black Polish cockerel, and the Cochin in my profile pic looks like a cockerel to everyone. The Cochin and this BLRW are lap chickens. They love riding around on our shoulders and sitting on our laps.

She looks like mine! I vote pullet. Any excuse to share photos, eh 😁

Screenshot_20200922-193741_Gallery.jpg

I’m looking forward to it! We’ve had chickens since March 2016, but culled the 4 roosters we hatched out that year because they were attacking my young kids. We’ve bought sexed pullets since then until this fall. My eldest wanted silkies and they are straight run only (from what I’ve found). So we have a three silkies (who all look male at 10 weeks, but they say they are hard to figure out), one showgirl who I think is a pullet, a crowing Ayam Cemani cockerel, a crowing White crested black Polish cockerel, and the Cochin in my profile pic looks like a cockerel to everyone. The Cochin and this BLRW are lap chickens. They love riding around on our shoulders and sitting on our laps.
My BLRW is a lap chicken as well. She is 15 weeks now. Such a sweetie. My one and only boy is a 21 week old silkie. Just love them. He is a sweetheart still, even now that his hormones have kicked in!🥰
Post photos of your silkies In the gender thread and there are many people here who are fairly good at sexing them at this age. Make sure you get a good profile shot and a head on shot well lifting up any feathers if you need to to visualize the comb.
608DE6CE-EFCF-4735-B4F6-2A3834C413BD.jpeg
B12E9603-14F7-41D2-A3D9-82ADD42D2380.jpeg

Oh my!! She's beautiful! I hope mine looks the same in ten weeks (and not like a roo!).

You're silkie is cute too! I had a pair of white silkies when I was a teen. Ruth and Boaz. :)

My straight runs are posted here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-now-8-9-weeks-old-7-likely-roosters.1421274/

It's been nearly two weeks and they are 10-11 weeks old, but they haven't changed much since I posted. Two are crowing, but one was crowing at 6 weeks and the other began right after I posted his photos!

No wattles or color on the showgirl still and her comb has stopped growing. Hurray! (So I think she is a she like the byc commenters said.)

Wattles and comb color on the white silkie still, wattles and huge comb on the black silkie, the blue still has a mohawk (no wattles or large comb though). Cochin looks the same too. I really hope some of those mysteries are pullets, but they all seem to be roos. I do plan to update with pics when things change or become obvious on genders.

Thank you!!

I think it's too early still! I have 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and one of them would get red in the comb and wattles it was excited or running around, which was often lol, super early, like 5 weeks old or maybe even younger. I really thought there was a high chance it was a roo, and was told as such as well, but now at 12 weeks she is all girl! Comb still gets red when she's crazy, but comb and wattles never really grew. So I wouldn't completely rule out pullet yet!

Back
Top Bottom