Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I have a couple quick questions -
does anyone know what these dark chicks will look like as far as color when they grow?

And I was wondering about the orange neck -
My full grown hen looks like this, her "blue" is a little darker, but not much, however her neck is super orange. Is that considered "bad" for this breed? Will that orange neck breed into her chicks?

Personally I like the rest of her coloring the best of all the shades, but the orange neck is really not my favorite.

I m heart broken :( in the last two days my 7 wk old blrw has gotten a noticeable comb and wattles, hoping for some chicken expert advise.
any thoughts?

I m heart broken
sad.png
in the last two days my 7 wk old blrw has gotten a noticeable comb and wattles, hoping for some chicken expert advise.
any thoughts?
why are you heartbroken? It is a cute chick.
I have a couple quick questions -
does anyone know what these dark chicks will look like as far as color when they grow?

And I was wondering about the orange neck -
My full grown hen looks like this, her "blue" is a little darker, but not much, however her neck is super orange. Is that considered "bad" for this breed? Will that orange neck breed into her chicks?

Personally I like the rest of her coloring the best of all the shades, but the orange neck is really not my favorite.
She is a pretty bird..Many people would use her for breeding. I would not unless she was the best I had and could not find anything better. Golds/orange should never be used in a breeding program. It is very hard to breed out.It also has thick bands of the lacing color instead of the delicate lacing. You have to cull so many chicks and it keeps popping back up. It is cheaper to invest in good stock. Take your time. Do research. Purchase a really nice trio for breeding/showing purpose if you intend to show or breed. If it is just for egg laying, you have a perfectly beautiful bird and she will make you a lovely breakfast for years. If you have to use her, you need to use a black male and try to breed that out, than take it back to blue to improve lacing. This is just my opinion. My goal is to improve the breed. Your bird is a really nice bird. it is much nicer than many I do see. I still would not use her in my breeding program. You need to do what you feel comfortable doing and know what your goals are.

I love the BLRs! I ordered 8 straight run from McMurray for fun. Can't wait til they arrive...just another week and a half. :) Anyone have any they ordered from MM? How do you like them? I've been hearing their lacing isn't all that great, but that's okay...not looking for show quality...just layers.

She is a pretty bird..Many people would use her for breeding. I would not unless she was the best I had and could not find anything better. Golds/orange should never be used in a breeding program. It is very hard to breed out.It also has thick bands of the lacing color instead of the delicate lacing. You have to cull so many chicks and it keeps popping back up. It is cheaper to invest in good stock. Take your time. Do research. Purchase a really nice trio for breeding/showing purpose if you intend to show or breed. If it is just for egg laying, you have a perfectly beautiful bird and she will make you a lovely breakfast for years. If you have to use her, you need to use a black male and try to breed that out, than take it back to blue to improve lacing. This is just my opinion. My goal is to improve the breed. Your bird is a really nice bird. it is much nicer than many I do see. I still would not use her in my breeding program. You need to do what you feel comfortable doing and know what your goals are.
That is not actually a picture of my bird =) just one I found online that has the same orange neck feathers. The one I have is about 3 now, I got her a year ago as she had slowed down laying and they were using her in their breeding program. Your orange/gold info is exactly what I was looking for though!! Thank you so much! I won't be breeding her, she is getting on the old end of laying - still laying GREAT for me though, usually 5 eggs a week, but when I got her she was kind of skinny and obviously had been overbred, she had a completely bare rear that was very sunburned and her sister had some actual scabs on her bare butt, so I don't think their previous home was very good - but she is my VERY first chicken ever so she will be with me as long as she wants =)
The chicks in my pictures, do they look like they have orange necks? These are my first BLR babies so I don't know what to expect from them. I would like to breed them if they are good quality, but I don't like to perpetuate poor quality, so if they aren't great, they will just be layers. One day I would like to get into showing them. But I'm in no hurry there. I don't really have the time or the money for that yet anyways. I also prefer to raise my own birds rather than buy adults, I like to keep just a select few so I can really hand raise them and keep them as pets. The two I bought last year (my first chickens) were not handled at ALL and are very skittish and wild. I would like these guys to be more friendly.
Thanks again for the awesome orange/gold neck information! I love the birds that have correct feathering all the way up their neck. It really just looks so pretty, but I love my ladies too =)

All three pictures of the same bird, what color do you think and looking like a rooster? The comb and wattles are much more red than the there other BLR's I have.

Back
Top Bottom