Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ilovemydog, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I'm new to this variety/breed. My son wanted his own flock of "rare" birds so picked up some breeder eggs for Easter Hatch. From what I've been reading on them it seems we reaccuired some Europe and some lines were recreated from scratch. Records show we first produced them late 1800's and shipped some to England. They petered out here in the States and were reintroduced and recreated late 1900's.

Like I said, new to this variety but that's what I'm getting about history of them so far. The Foley line, which I have, I'm pretty certain he recreated. Took him a decade.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Here's some photos of some of the parent stock. He had three pens set up. Six that hatched were Black cock over Splash hens pen, three hatched from the blue over blue hens and two hatched from Splash over black and blue pen. Have 11 chicks, will post photos later, need to clean their butts this morning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dlamb82

dlamb82 Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    VA
    So I finally got my first blrw chicks three weeks ago. One I know is a splash for sure the other two I was hoping were blue but I think they’re black as I haven’t noticed any blue yet on either one of them. I have a few pics of 2 of the three I took this week. They’re 3 1/2 weeks old and will be 4 weeks at the end of this week. Thoughts on color?

Attached Files:

4. northeastDad

northeastDad Chirping

Mar 3, 2017
    New York
    Not the best pics but blrw at 8 weeks

Attached Files:

5. northeastDad

northeastDad Chirping

Mar 3, 2017
    New York
    I have very light to dark birds out of the 17 chicks

mixedUPturk likes this.
  6. Tiana's chickens

Tiana's chickens Songster

Dec 7, 2017
    Has your girls started laying yet? I'm so I love with your girls too :love. I want to breed mine to look like that, their are none like that where I live.
    Also, might seem like a random question but what did yours look like as chicks? Did they have stripes on the back or solid dark?

mixedUPturk likes this.
  7. Chickenbrainiac

Chickenbrainiac In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2019
    mixedUPturk likes this.
  8. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    Man I had someone in a local group offering these yesterday and it took everything I had not to buy one. Ten chickens for a backyard in the suburbs is plenty, lol. But damn don't they look good!!!!

mixedUPturk likes this.
  9. LuvinBlueBirds

LuvinBlueBirds Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    SE Idaho
    Does anyone know how the presentations for APA approval have gone?

mixedUPturk likes this.
  10. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Help! This is not a show quality bird, but I'm getting mixed responses on gender.. about 10 wks old.... I'm suspecting a cockerel..

Attached Files:

mixedUPturk likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: