Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

OK, one more of the chicks. This one chick was the first to use ramp to coop and refuses to drink from water fountain. Very independent compared to the others. And I love posting these pics on threads asking if they should insulate and or heat their coop. Taken this morning at 7 am, snow is starting to fall and temp is 24 F.

View attachment 3328315
I’m with you re the cold weather. First time I had a broody she started sitting in February with temps in the 20. Hatched out every egg and the chicks would play in the cold away from her for hours at a time. Made me realize neither the chicks nor the chickens are as vulnerable to the weather as people make them out to be

Miss Hennie gave us such a scare this week! She had a mild prolapse and I was so stressed out we’d have to cull her (or worse, find her disembowelled in the yard 😩). A little steroid cream and crate rest after I pushed it back in, so far so good 🤞🏼 She’s laid several eggs safely since, but I’m constantly on edge still

View attachment 3328239View attachment 3328240View attachment 3328241View attachment 3328242View attachment 3328243View attachment 3328244
I don’t know how you manage to have that much grass. My chickens scratch up every bit of ground in their fenced in area.

Hi all! After drooling over this variety for years we were finally able to get one! She's from Meyer hatchery, so I don't expect her to be quite up to standard but I'm hoping for half decent lacing at least. We were hoping for blue, but we're limited to 6 chickens so we only got one. We were slightly disappointed when our chicks arrived and our wyandotte looked like she was probably black laced.

But i know that blue can be so dark as to look black, so I've been watching and hoping as her feathers started coming in over the last 3 weeks. View attachment 3837644View attachment 3837645View attachment 3837647After looking closely in natural light this evening I think she's a dark blue, but I'd love to hear the opinion from someone who has experience with this color.
I think she is a back
My girl is a Black laced Red Wyandotte with a straight comb
20240514_112629.jpg

What age does the green iridescence usually start to come in on black feathers?
On my black laced red pictures in my above post, her iridescent showed at 15weeks. Maybe a little sooner. If in the sun when she was younger you could see it but at 15 weeks it was visible all the time

Hi all! After drooling over this variety for years we were finally able to get one! She's from Meyer hatchery, so I don't expect her to be quite up to standard but I'm hoping for half decent lacing at least. We were hoping for blue, but we're limited to 6 chickens so we only got one. We were slightly disappointed when our chicks arrived and our wyandotte looked like she was probably black laced.

But i know that blue can be so dark as to look black, so I've been watching and hoping as her feathers started coming in over the last 3 weeks. View attachment 3837644View attachment 3837645View attachment 3837647After looking closely in natural light this evening I think she's a dark blue, but I'd love to hear the opinion from someone who has experience with this color.
She looks like a blue to me ive gotten ones from meyer begore mine where males at the time sadly dogs killed them before i got to use them this was mine from 2015 not sure how there stock is now
FB_IMG_1716173708013.jpg
Screenshot_20240519_225552.jpg
Screenshot_20240519_225626.jpg
Screenshot_20240519_225710.jpg

Back
Top Bottom