Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

They are Splash colored-they won't get that "chipmunk " pattern. Not even all BLR will get it, depends on the breeding/lines.
thumbsup.gif
Yes it depends on the lines. My splash are all chipmunk marked but there are lots that have no stripes in other lines.

please do not stop your conversation for me, but i just wanted to jump in the thread to share pic of my new chicks (still hatching)

I have 4 different breeds under my broody, but I think this 3 are BLRW.... what do you guys think???

SPLASH

SPLASH

Maybe Blue (one with only the head showing) and the other is Splash

It's my first hatch ever so i'm almost as exited as my hen
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
it does breed true...
Respectfully I have to disagree. By the definition I understand, if Blue-Laced Reds bred true, then a BLR roo over a BLR hen would produce 100% true-to-type BLR chicks. As is they fit the definition of a hybrid variety and will until the desired genes are isolated. If I ordered an heirloom tomato seed and got as much variation as BLR chicks show, I would be upset.

Respectfully I have to disagree. By the definition I understand, if Blue-Laced Reds bred true, then a BLR roo over a BLR hen would produce 100% true-to-type BLR chicks. As is they fit the definition of a hybrid variety and will until the desired genes are isolated. If I ordered an heirloom tomato seed and got as much variation as BLR chicks show, I would be upset.

Are you talking about type, or about blue color genetics? Cause there's no amount of breeding or isolating that will change how blue is produced...

I didn't know that about the blue gene. In that case I'm afraid I'm a bit more sympathetic to the GL breeder I was talking to the other day.

I didn't know that about the blue gene. In that case I'm afraid I'm a bit more sympathetic to the GL breeder I was talking to the other day.

It is incompletely dominant, a blue bird is always heterozygous at that locus, therefore it will never produce the same as itself 100% of the time. It's just not biologically possible.

Back
Top Bottom