Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Thank you guys so much for the advice about my mites. I really appreciate it! I bought some powder (It's not called sevin, but I think it's the same thing, I'm in Canada... it's for cattle etc and chickens) and says to use in litter and if necessary, on chickens at 4.5oz per chicken. I dusted their coop (but I'm going to completely gut and clean it today) and dusted all the chickens. I could still see mites the next day on the one who originally had them, so I dusted him again and all the mites were dead yesterday! I will replace the litter with new stuff with the dust in it and then I think I'll introduce them to my flock. I sure hope this is the last of it. I'll be sure to check bums often!

Willow
Another trick is to take a leaf blower and after you dust the coop, use the leaf blower in there. It gets the dust all over and into the cracks. Use a mask, of course. Then you may want to use some DE to help keep the mites at bay. Good luck.

I cant keep him because I am in town, hopefully he will take awhile to crow so I can keep him for a bit. Mainly I needed to see if he needs to go to freezer camp or if I should bring him to a swap. I bought him as a day old chick to keep my SFH day old chick company, unfortunately he got very manly very fast!!

I am in need of a good rooster! Where are you located?

Can I get some opinions on this guy??? he is 7 weeks, he seems to have a good round shape (he just finished pigging out and has a super full crop)

just noticed the border collie photo bomb!
if I do say so, he's got quite nice lacing for his age... his brother is slower to fill in the feathers, being a couple weeks younger. looks like he'll have his daddy's color too. mine is going to be black laced. but that means it's from my roo and the foley girl (also black laced) so he'll be going with my splash laced girl, as long as type and color hold up.

i'm glad to see progress photos of your boy btw... so far looking like a Wyandotte should IMO. I hope i'm not being prejudiced in any way and welcome others' opinions too.

edit: I had the trio penned for only a short while this spring, then had to evict them to make room for chicks and broodies. but if the quality of the chicks I've seen is any indication, i'll be penning them again later this summer.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarie

I cant keep him because I am in town, hopefully he will take awhile to crow so I can keep him for a bit. Mainly I needed to see if he needs to go to freezer camp or if I should bring him to a swap. I bought him as a day old chick to keep my SFH day old chick company, unfortunately he got very manly very fast!!
if you can't keep him and we can meet back up i'd be willing to take him back too... I always like to keep a spare for any breeding pen.
sorry, sometimes my quotes don't work right...

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarie

if you can't keep him and we can meet back up i'd be willing to take him back too... I always like to keep a spare for any breeding pen.
You bred this bird? I really like him..
I hope you do take him back..he sure has nice potential..a really really nice bird. Impressive for a young one.

This is Blue. Aprox 8 weeks old. What do you think? His color in person is very 'mahogany ',in the pictures in the morning sun is harder to tell.

Eight and a half, actually. They are smaller in person, I'll try to measure him at a natural height. Keep in mind, he is standing next to a 2x4 on the last pic. He is fully feathered though, which I have not seen much in others his age on this thread.

Last edited:
Quote:
You bred this bird? I really like him..
I hope you do take him back..he sure has nice potential..a really really nice bird. Impressive for a young one.
I can't take credit for the parents, just for finding the right ones to put together.
wink.png
always get the best you can, it'll save headaches down the road, and time and $ on feed.

here's the page I keep in my breed book when I go to swaps, to show the parents (if I have chicks from them)...

the black laced is a foley girl, the splash laced from Canada and the roo, no idea his lines, but I like him.
they each have imperfections, but seem to balance each other out. i'm anxious to see how their chicks mature, but only have 2 boys to compare to.

Back
Top Bottom