Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

The color can vary a lot-just depends on the breeding. The first 2 years we had lighter chicks too. The last 1-2yrs they have become darker and end up being darker as adults too.

Splash

Blues

Blue, Blue, Black, Splash, Blue

Just a few of mine-
Might just be my computer screen too. But blacks are usually pretty dark.

cutie patooties! <3
in my first batch from breeder #1, I could tell their coloring by their down fluff on their butts, it was blueish for blues. I notice that about your blue chicks, too Peaky

I've had a couple of batches from chickenhill since then, and all the bellies on hers are yellow/white ish. I was kinda thrown off by it at first, because it was different than the blrw chicks I hatched before! but it seems that even black blrws from chicken hill's line have yellow bellies. it is crazy how it can change from line to line

here is a Black blrw from her line, this one is grown up now, so I'm certain it's black - also a cockerel.
cant see the back stripe. the yellow tummy threw me off lol

far left - black
green2x - blue
laying down - black
far right, pink+green - blue
2 center chicks - splash
...I should have been looking back at pics of these sooner! lol
I didnt take enough of the back stripe.

after seeing those chick pics, I think this is
splash, splash, blue!

Last edited:
I understand how the normal BBS genetics for coloring works, but what about the difference between dark blue and light blue...is that just driven off the bloodlines of the birds?

Bl
I understand how the normal BBS genetics for coloring works, but what about the difference between dark blue and light blue...is that just driven off the bloodlines of the birds?

The blue is a diluted black. It doesn't breed true in chickens so you get different shades of blue. Constant culling and breeding of the best is necessary.

yes it depends on the lines. different melanizers may be present, as well as what shade of blue the breeder prefers. I prefer a medium to dark blue myself, but Foley is going more for the lighter blue I think, from looking at his pictures.

Looking for opinions on this BLRW cockerel, 5 mos old. you can be brutally honest
wink.png

His stance is off in this picture and it is hard to see the bones. Wrong color hack feathers. They are too brassy...however some lines moult out better on final adult moult.

I see his neck line in this photo and you can see his bones. He should have flat shoulders and his neck should curve into those flat shoulders. Wyandottes are all about curves, circles and width.

His shoulds show again they are not flat..they are high.

nice photo..His wing tips are pointed down..from improper shoulder placement. They should be tucked up a bit higher.

flat chest.. narrow front

hocks are touching..the legs should be wide apart and thick like tree trunks. These legs are slender and close together..Beautiful color legs!!!
Tail looks wide enough..nice lacing and it should improve with age..the whole bird will improve with age. Ask again in 6 months..

You already know this bird does not fit into the sop yet. He is beautiful..he is not Wyandotte type yet. Could he mature enough to fit in? Possibly.

Quote: beautiful pictures and chicks..

Tail looks wide enough..nice lacing and it should improve with age..the whole bird will improve with age. Ask again in 6 months..

You already know this bird does not fit into the sop yet. He is beautiful..he is not Wyandotte type yet. Could he mature enough to fit in? Possibly.

beautiful pictures and chicks..
Thanks Delisha!! That is so helpful. I will keep an eye on the wing tip and shoulder angle for sure. one of his brothers had a very droopy wing, this guy's was high by comparison. it is so cool to start seeing these things.

on his legs touching, did you also see the 2nd post I made with photos head-on? the legs are a little further apart in those photos. are they still not wide enough in those angles? not arguing, just trying to "see it" :)

here are the chest pics link. now that I am looking at his legs, they look REALLY close together! a lot of wyandotte males I see almost look like cornishX with their wide stance. Donatello does not have this, I now see..

Back
Top Bottom