Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Thanks for the help...German Girl, when you say "My Girls faces/waddles are very pale compared to the boys and also still much smaller."- what is still much smaller, the chickens overall body or the waddles and combs? i seem to have 3 different types/colors of combs and waddles:
1- large and red- males
2- sorta large and pale- not sure
3- small and pale- females

the other problems is the #2s seem to be bigger bodied birds so im thinking males but hoping females. I think i have 3 for sure females, 1 not sure and 4 positive males.

These were hatched around April 18th. So like 10 weeks oldish.

i am really hoping for another female, perfect world would have been 6 and 2 roos to choose which is better but not the way it usually goes it seems.

Not sure if you are planning on breeding these, but if you are I personally would get rid of all your roos and find a nice black blr to cross with your hens. That should give you more blue laced chicks instead of just splash, which it looks like you have. JMO... :)

Thanks for the help...German Girl, when you say "My Girls faces/waddles are very pale compared to the boys and also still much smaller."- what is still much smaller, the chickens overall body or the waddles and combs? i seem to have 3 different types/colors of combs and waddles:
1- large and red- males
2- sorta large and pale- not sure
3- small and pale- females

the other problems is the #2s seem to be bigger bodied birds so im thinking males but hoping females. I think i have 3 for sure females, 1 not sure and 4 positive males.

These were hatched around April 18th. So like 10 weeks oldish.

i am really hoping for another female, perfect world would have been 6 and 2 roos to choose which is better but not the way it usually goes it seems.
The waddles are smaller and pale on my girls and the body size as well.
Yeah we have 5 Roosters, we will eat 3 for sure, I'm hoping I can keep my 2 favorite roos. Ours hatched on April 3rd

hope these pic help a little

to show you their colors.
his feathers shine golden in the sun.
3 of our boys

Hen & Rooster

That is a good idea, but the question now is where to find that bird.These dont seem to be very common in my area and i had to order from Murray McMurray to get them.

I will check out the indiana page on this site to find one. I will plan to keep the darkest, best looking roo and eat the others i guess. Then if i get a good dark one then make a decision on the roo i kept.

I do like my pullets alot, they are pretty.

Any suggestions as to where to find a dark roo?

thanks

So I bought 15 BLRW from Murray McMurrey (dont hammer me to bad on this) and i split them with a friend. I dont know what type of BLRW, not black and I assume splash. I have 8 and it looks like 3 hens and 5 roos but still hard for me to tell, can you all help a little. they are my 1st BLRW. They look different, some a little darker, some more brown and a couple (hens maybe) much more blue. The roos will either be sold on craigslist or in the freezer by Nov....if they are large enough. Any comments at all would be great. thanks not sure here, left one has much more red on comb, other more pale. should be hen in back and roo...maybe hen in front? i think there are 2 hens in back 2 roos in front...? i think i have 2 roos here and the right one is beautiful, little smaller than the others i think r roos but very friendly and darker in color. any input at all would be great. thanks -Matt
I just got my 15 BLRW on Saturday from MM, they are all doing really well and are some of the prettiest chicks I've ever had!Do any of the 15 look like they're going to be the blue or black? I think the splash are very pretty but am hoping that some are blue. My chicks seem to be either light with pale blue backs or light with darker blue and darker heads and backs.

That is a good idea, but the question now is where to find that bird.These dont seem to be very common in my area and i had to order from Murray McMurray to get them.

I will check out the indiana page on this site to find one. I will plan to keep the darkest, best looking roo and eat the others i guess. Then if i get a good dark one then make a decision on the roo i kept.

thanks

I have two but I am far away in Oregon!

I will check out the indiana page on this site to find one. I will plan to keep the darkest, best looking roo and eat the others i guess.  Then if i get a good dark one then make a decision on the roo i kept.

thanks
. Yes, Any breeder either on this forum or otherwise that has Jerry Foley stock from say the last two years or so should be able to supply you with a nice black roo. Jerry himself isn't selling this year because he and some others are working on getting the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte excepted by the APA I believe... It is worth it to look at his website, Jerry's Waterfowl, his birds are gorgeous!! Likewise those that have his most recent lines have nice birds as well. Chicken Hill has birds from his lines, but I'm not sure if they are selling anymore this year. There are others as well, "Feel free to speak up people", as I don't know everyone on here. I recently bought four BLR Wyandotte chicks from Sunnyside Up Micro farm and I am very happy with their color, two blues,one black and one splash, by my request. She has Foley and Sterling lines I believe. I started with ten chicks from Murray McMurray lines from a local breeder and just sold them all at five weeks old because I knew I wouldn't be happy with them. They went to a really nice home and now I have chicks I can get excited about!:-D You will pay more for quality chicks, but it is SO worth it! Good Luck.

I will check out the indiana page on this site to find one. I will plan to keep the darkest, best looking roo and eat the others i guess.  Then if i get a good dark one then make a decision on the roo i kept.

thanks

Im in Cincinnati,Oh. Bit of a drive,but I would be glad to help. I have a few nice black cockerels now. These birds blow me away with there good looks. Best of luck in your search.

Speaking of BLACK BLRW..... I have a very nice Cock that I got by accident from Jerry Foley. He said it was my lucky day and I am thinking now he was right LOL. After really looking over my roos he is the nices one i have. I am going to put him in a breeding pen with I think 8 pullets. 2 are black and the rest are blue. We will see what I get. I am ok with getting more blacks from the cross because I also have a HUGE Splash cockerel growing out and I can use the nicest black pullets with him. Not sure that I have any black cockerels yet but I am sure I will soon enough. I know we are planning a trip to Louisville KY in the fall if that would help.

I will get some pics when I move them out to the breeding pens.

Back
Top Bottom