Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

does anyone have pictures of each chick at hatch for blue, black and splash? Murray Mcmurray has a video of chicks o their webpage for their BLRW and the chicks look weird to me. I have never seen any of these chicks that weren't chipmunk.... Are the splashes different?

does anyone have pictures of each chick at hatch for blue, black and splash? Murray Mcmurray has a video of chicks o their webpage for their BLRW and the chicks look weird to me. I have never seen any of these chicks that weren't chipmunk.... Are the splashes different?

I only have blue and splash. I really want a black.

So my 2 splash "girls" have been maturing nicely and are now 25weeks old. No eggs in sight but one has me scratching my head. She has some interesting features showing up. They seem rather boyish to me though she seems rather old for these traits to just now be showing up, and though there seems to be some boyish traits 'she' remains pink in the face. Just wondering others opinions.

My three pullets just started laying last week, at 22 weeks and are doing very well.

Good to hear it! Our BLRW "chicks" are about 4 months old now, so hopefully we'll be getting a good amount of eggs from them this spring.

I have heard from more than one source that Murray Mcmurray gives only splash variety. I would look elsewhere if you are trying to get blues and blacks. I recommend slackwater if she's still hatch mode. Small breeders are the way to go and the prices can be just as reasonable.

So my 2 splash "girls" have been maturing nicely and are now 25weeks old. No eggs in sight but one has me scratching my head. She has some interesting features showing up. They seem rather boyish to me though she seems rather old for these traits to just now be showing up, and though there seems to be some boyish traits 'she' remains pink in the face. Just wondering others opinions.

We played this game for a very long time. Wyandottes are fun to sex. lol I am seeing a cockerel in the bottom pic here, but I only say that b/c of the feather pattern and would appreciate it if someone with more experience would chime in. 25 weeks is a bit late. 16 weeks was when our boys became apparent.

Good to hear it! Our BLRW "chicks" are about 4 months old now, so hopefully we'll be getting a good amount of eggs from them this spring.

I have heard from more than one source that Murray Mcmurray gives only splash variety. I would look elsewhere if you are trying to get blues and blacks. I recommend slackwater if she's still hatch mode. Small breeders are the way to go and the prices can be just as reasonable.

We played this game for a very long time. Wyandottes are fun to sex. lol I am seeing a cockerel in the bottom pic here, but I only say that b/c of the feather pattern and would appreciate it if someone with more experience would chime in. 25 weeks is a bit late. 16 weeks was when our boys became apparent.
THANKS FOR THE INFO! I would like to get some splash, so maybe it will be ok. I am just doing research right now. I already have a ton of blues.

THANKS FOR THE INFO! I would like to get some splash, so maybe it will be ok. I am just doing research right now. I already have a ton of blues.

Hey, no problem! BTW, love your username. We have a houdini chicken. She's the smallest of all our Black Australorps and can get out/in anywhere; a true master. She's the only BA we have that earned herself a name. :D

If anyone could check this link out and give me their opinion on our wyandottes I would really appreciate it. I am only trying to learn what is good and acceptable and what we should work on. We aren't showing or anything(yet), we are just looking for pretty backyard birds, however, there is no reason NOT to work towards the proposed standard, IMO. I have Foley's book, as well as the APA's SOP Wyandotte book, but I wanted to see if my understanding is correct or if I am missing something.

Here's the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/279470/the-wyandotte-thread/11440#post_16061188

TIA

Last edited:
Hey, no problem! BTW, love your username. We have a houdini chicken. She's the smallest of all our Black Australorps and can get out/in anywhere; a true master. She's the only BA we have that earned herself a name. :D

If anyone could check this link out and give me their opinion on our wyandottes I would really appreciate it. I am only trying to learn what is good and acceptable and what we should work on. We aren't showing or anything(yet), we are just looking for pretty backyard birds, however, there is no reason NOT to work towards the proposed standard, IMO. I have Foley's book, as well as the APA's SOP Wyandotte book, but I wanted to see if my understanding is correct or if I am missing something.

Here's the link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/279470/the-wyandotte-thread/11440#post_16061188

TIA
Thanks, My darling Houdini duck got her name from when we brought her home. I put little duckling her and her little duckling husband in the run with the chicks and went inside for a while. I was sitting on the couch and suddenly I asked my fiance, why do I hear a duckling peeping in the driveway? Went outside and she was allll the way around the front of the house going for a walk up the road. She squeezed right through the chicken wire!

Back
Top Bottom