Blue Plymoth Rocks??

Quote:
Thanks for clearing up the leg color issue. They are the sweetest chickens I have owned.

I have the Bantam Standard, not the APA Standard, which of course, may differ. However, for Bantam Blue Plymouth Rocks it states, "SHANKS & TOES: Yellow, any other color than yellow or dusky yellow to disqualify."

In general, every breed has ONE skin colour (white, yellow or slate/black), regardless of leg colour. However, the skin colour limits the leg colours available. Slate or black legs require white or slate/black skin. Pink/white legs require white skin. Yellow require yellow skin; willow (green) require yellow skin.

I'm sorry Sonoran. You are right. Yellow IS the base color for all rock feets. However, on a blue/black the front of the leg is significantly blue/slate or black and it's virtually impossible to tell on the girls (in particular) that the under-foot, sometimes back of leg, is yellow.

I'd be quite worried about pigment levels/genetics though in one with all yellow legs.

Quote:
I'm not sure what Standard you're reading. Mine says yelloe or dusky yellow, yellow preferred. Per the APA Standard leg colour not appropriate to the breed is a disqualification.

Quote:
I'm not sure what Standard you're reading. Mine says yelloe or dusky yellow, yellow preferred. Per the APA Standard leg colour not appropriate to the breed is a disqualification.

When was that written? Before or after BBS became accepted in the US?
If that's the case, LOTS of people with BBS birds have coops full of DQs.

??? My Bantam Standard is the 2005 version; I believe the latest APA standard is 2001 (please correct me if I am wrong; I do know a new one is due out soon). There are changes to the standards between publications, but I think something like that would have been well communicated.

If it was listed in the standard, it was recognised. BTW, splash is not a recognised variety for bantam plymouth rocks, I am pretty sure not for large fowl, either.

As of the last ASOP 2001 in Large Fowl there are only Barred, White, Buff, Silver Penciled, Partridge, Columbian, and Blue. No Black or Splash.
All the recognized colors are to have eather Yellow or Dusty Yellow depending on variety with Yellow preferred..

Chris

Last edited:
My bad- I'm used to using BBS when referring to Andalusian.

What does it say about Orps? Are they all supposed to have white legs, no matter what color they are? It just doesn't sound right.
idunno.gif

I'm gonna have to go look at my birds again
tongue.png

Last edited:
Not to go off topic but with the Large Fowl Orps.
Buff - Shanks/Toes Pinkish White
Black - Shanks/Toes Black in young, Dark Slate in adults
White - Shanks/Toes Pinkish White
Blue - Shanks/Toes Leaded Blue
All variety to have Pinkish White on the bottom of the feet/toes

Chris

Last edited:
As a breed requirement, all breeds have one colour of skin. THe skin colour dictates the leg colours that can be created. Yes, there are differences between different varieties in leg colour, but skin colour is a constant, ans as I said earlier, skin colour dictates the available leg colours. Some breed standards are extremely particular on leg colour (for example ameraucana). Rocks seem to be in the middle as to being particular. They do allow dusky yellow (which is basically a thin black tint over the yellow).

Quote:
OK- didn't mean to be a thread stealer. I just assumed that the standard for rocks was the same as orps when it came to leg color & andalusians. So, my orps are good. Have to wait til the rocks hatch to see
wink.png

ETA: Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom