Blue sex links

Littleshadow

Songster
Jul 5, 2017
Yes I know they aren’t a breed but rather a cross.

How many people out there breed blue sex link chicks?

We had two blue splash langshan roosters over about 30 cuckoo marans hens. (Accidentally got sex link)

Male chicks are blue with a white yellow splotch on there head while females are solid blue when hatch.
Because of the langshan father these chicks are also feather legged. Just lighter feathered with no feathering on the middle toe.

I miss breeding my sexlink babes and have considered doing it again.
The offspring (female) always had a very dark egg that usually had purple (yes purple, pastel purple) specks. They were also pretty friendly and massive birds! The few batches I actually sold people were very happy with the outcome.

So anyone else do blue or blue/black sexlink? Where you happy with the outcome?
I don’t see many blue birds in people’s flocks around here so we always had chicks scooped up fast! Even the males.

Have any of you done blue sexlink? Or any other sex link cross besides the typical RIR over barred rock?

Yes I know they aren’t a breed but rather a cross.

How many people out there breed blue sex link chicks?

We had two blue splash langshan roosters over about 30 cuckoo marans hens. (Accidentally got sex link)

Male chicks are blue with a white yellow splotch on there head while females are solid blue when hatch.
Because of the langshan father these chicks are also feather legged. Just lighter feathered with no feathering on the middle toe.

I miss breeding my sexlink babes and have considered doing it again.
The offspring (female) always had a very dark egg that usually had purple (yes purple, pastel purple) specks. They were also pretty friendly and massive birds! The few batches I actually sold people were very happy with the outcome.

So anyone else do blue or blue/black sexlink? Where you happy with the outcome?
I don’t see many blue birds in people’s flocks around here so we always had chicks scooped up fast! Even the males.

Have any of you done blue sexlink? Or any other sex link cross besides the typical RIR over barred rock?
They sound lovely. We don't breed anything but I do enjoy buying chicks of all different sorts. I think it is fun to have unique looking hens and unique looking eggs. :)

My best advice would be to use a splash rooster. That way all the chicks are blue. Then again if you like getting half black a blue would also work!

We started with a blue langshan but our luck was terrible and we got about 4 out of twenty chicks that were blue. After that we paired on a couple splash Langshans so we’d get all blues.

The next route I go will be either splash Cochin over barred Cochin (to get those purebred blue sexlink Cochin babes) or splash(blue)/splash duckwing OEG over barred/cuckoo OEG (bantams). That way they are sexlink “purebred”.

Either way I’m hoping to start that project up next spring though my plans might change before then!

I have too many projects I wanna start! But those blue sexlink chicks were a lot more popular then any other chick I ever had to offer!

Back
Top Bottom