Blue Slate Turkeys.

7205_blueberry.jpg

Blueberry Blue .......... love her, she thinks she's a dog. I also have 2 toms also.

No one, and I mean no one can come into the yard with out holding her or at least petting her..................... she won't let you. She will lay in front of you, follow you, churp and peep or try to jump off something shoulder level so you will catch her and hold her.
lol.png
Silly Turkey

I have been crossing the Blue Slate with a Ridley bronze.
Hens are pure slates and the tom is a half/half cross and is black.
The picture is of the pure slates. And my black tom before they were picked out of the flock for breeding.

I have noticed some interesting colour patterns coming out from the cross.
The Ridley has strong genes coming through with some poults being the traditional Ridley markings.
Almost all the slate poults end up with a browning dirty looking slate colour with some patterns slightly showing through.
Some way more them others.
After looking at the Lilac turkey it seems that after cross breeding between the two types the slates are starting to look more like a Lilac.

i
If you notice just above the traditional turkey pattern one (ridley bronze) on the lower right, you could see the browning/red effect showing through in the poult's grey colouring. I have a feeling that one is going to be looking a lot similar to a lilac then a slate.

It looks like I am making Lilacs.
http://www.porterturkeys.com/lilac.htm

"There has been and still is a lot of controversy on just what a Lilac turkey is suppose to look like. I have done some extensive research and also did some test breeding's myself and I have came to the conclusion that a Lilac turkey is really just bronze based with two slate genes. Genotype of b+b+DD. A light slate colored body with a pale reddish tan tail and slate colored band ending in a creme or white tip. The red gene is not involved in this variety, the pale reddish tan tints in the tail is just the bronze gene expressing through the slate color. They will breed true."

I have a NEW focus now.
I no longer breed mutes,lol.

I ordered Blue Slate poults from the feed store down the road. They didn't arrive until May. I love them. They are the first turkeys I've had.

Only two months old and growing very fast. I clipped their wings because they were flying out of the run and crashing into things.

Out of five, one is starting to gobble this week. At ten weeks old! Started strutting a little bit too.

Back
Top Bottom