1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Sumatra chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dreamcatcher, May 13, 2009.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Indiana
    Does anyone have pics of day old to week old blue sumatra chicks? I need to compare the 2 I have with others. My hubby had gone to a local feed store to pick up some chicks, when he got there a couple was arguing with an employee of the store that they had ordered 11 sumatra, and only 9 of them looked alike, and were yellow and black. 2 of the chicks are a blue color and they took the other 9 and left so hubby told the girl he would take them with the others that he was going to get. I have been looking online and the only ones i find say black sumatra. I will get pics up when I get my camera back from my friend. Thanks

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
  3. sahminaz

sahminaz Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    The two greyish ones sitting on the feeder are blue sumatras. They were just over 1 week here.
    [​IMG]
    Now at 2.5 wks.
    [​IMG]

From what i've read the ones with yellow are splash sumatras. We had two blue(grey) but one died. Our replacement looks more like a splash(yellow/grey). Gloria is definitely a blue sumatra.

Scroll to the bottom here to where it says blue and black sumatra(they are side by side).

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  4. dreamcatcher

Mar 16, 2009
    Indiana
    Sahminaz thank you very much, my chicks look exactly like the 2 on the feeder. Can I ask why you chose this type as I have read they are not good layers and mainly are an ornamental chicken. Thanks for the responses.

5. sahminaz

sahminaz Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Oh I didn't know they weren't good layers. They were in the bin at the feed store i got my chicks at. I'm a newbie.

6. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    gorgeous chicks.

7. dreamcatcher

Mar 16, 2009
    Indiana
    This is what I found:
    Black is the most common variety, but it additionally comes in blue and white varieties. Males usually weigh between 4 and 5 pounds, and females weigh between 3 1/2 and 4 pounds. Hens lay about 100 white eggs a year. Both males and females have no wattles, and males often have multiple spurs[1]. The breed is considered a primitive one; the Sumatra retains a strong flying ability, unlike most modern chicken breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by