Blue Swedish, Cayuga, and Welsh Harlequin and housing - PICS ADDED!

Duck_Shepherdess - I got a kick out out of your post....I like your sense of humor!

That is so CLASSY!!
thumbsup.gif

I love the front porch!! I want a secure water porch for my duck houses so bad!!
droolin.gif

I did have a thought about improving the house. Maybe you're already planning something like this but stores that sell vinyl flooring usually have cheap leftover scraps that you can put down for easy cleaning. My plan is to run the stuff partway up the wall too. A lot of it is textured to be less slippery.

Wow, that's inspiring! We just (well, November) got a Blue Swedish, Welsh Harlequin, and Khaki Campbell from Metzer -- wanted to get a Cayuga, but the date didn't work out for us. They still live in a bin in the laundry room at night, and I am anxious to build something along the lines of what you have so they can have their own space!

critterranch - Yes, the front porch flips up as 2 separate portions (you might be able to see the sets of hinges located on the sides). I figured it would make it lighter for my girls to lift at their ages (10, 8, 7)

duck_sheperdess - I sealed the plywood inside and I am planning on using the 'sticky' 12 x 12 floor tiles (We bought 4 boxes of them about 5 years ago for some stupid reason). I figured I could use those instead. Will they work, you think? My first thought was to paint it, but I didn't think a floor paint would hold up with all the moisture and poo from the ducks.

Eroc1_1 I keep looking at that house, its sooo nice.
tongue.png

A couple of thoughts on predator proofing.
I wonder if a raccoon could get hold of that hardware cloth around the edges and rip it down, they are remarkably strong. I think perhaps some type of trim running over the edge of the hardware cloth would reduce the leverage the raccoon could get.
Also I was told raccoons can undo any kind of latch that a three year old could figure out, people have been amazed at what they are capable of. Maybe this is overkill but after I had a raccoon in my duck house I got some cheap little keyed luggage locks for all the doors.

Last night we were 20 below, that's right -20 F!!! (That's after we were in the low 60s on Sunday!! Colorado!
roll.png
)
Anyway, with all the ventilation on my duck house I really worried they would be too cold, so I fasten old cloth rugs and a sleeping bag over the vents on my duck houses when its this bad. I think that will still allow for ventilation but also provide additional insulation through the fiber. That's my theory anyway.
Of course with your talent I'm sure you will come up with something much more elegant.
smile.png

Dances with Ducks - I actually thought about adding a few more screws and washers to help fasten the wire down better. I used 1 1/2" stainless steel screws (so they don't rust as easily) to secure initially. I may also have to add some wood where the welded wire meets the house. I forgot to add a place to secure it there. That 1" x1" welded wire seems pretty tough....
I have few pieces of 1 1/2' rigid foam insulation that I can cut down a little to fit the 2 bigger ventilation windows to help limit drafts if needed. I will add a clip to the front latch and the roofs....the big side doors aren't especially easy to open (not really worried about them).

Hattiegun - The lime green is our oldest favorite color....I kinda like it too as an accent color!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom