Blue Wyandote anti social

ChickenKnox

In the Brooder
May 24, 2015
Hello everyone!

This is my first post and I have a question about our Blue Wyandotte's antisocial behavior.
We have 3 hens. Johnny Cash (our golden wyandotte), Roy Rogers (our silver) and Townes Van Zandt (our blue)

Townes has never been particular social which is strange because as a chick she was handled the most, she was the one that needed the most help. She always had poop on her butt and we washed it regularly.

Now they are all a year old and when it comes time to pass out treats Johnny and Roy come running up and Townes is ALWAYS looking on from under a bush. On the rare occasion she does get a treat she always looks at it for a half second (which usually results in someone else coming to snatch it up) but if she does get it in her beak she runs off with it and eats it slowly.

Now I just thought this was her personality but more recently she just hasn't been looking right, her feathers are all askew, and she is just looking a little haggard. She still has the same amount of energy as the other ones and I haven't actually witnessed the other two picking at her. In fact, she is usually the first to chase after crows and even a cat on a few occasions. She is much more aggressive than the others. She charges me if I stand at the run entrance or I block her from coming out. The chickens are let out of their run and they free range in our yard almost every day.

Anyway, the reason for my post is I want to know if this is normal. Like I said before I am not so concerned with her behavior as I am her ragged appearance. I want to make sure she's getting what she needs.

Also, Only one chicken is laying and I am positive its not her.

Thanks for you help

-Chicken Knox

She is probably molting, which is uncomfortable, you shouldn't handle them too much during it, and I would guess she is bottom hen, that's why she stays back, it's good social etiquette to respect the pecking order.

Welcome to BYC!!

How old are your birds?
They usually have their first full adult molt in the fall at about 18 months old.

Thanks for responding to my questions, Sorry i never got back.
This bird has since been eaten by a raccoon.
-Sad Face

Back
Top Bottom