Blueberry @ 6 weeks - looking like pullet or cockerel?

It's too early for me to guess yet. (It's way too young to have any gender specific feathering) Could you post more pictures in a few weeks? It's definitely a cutie. :love

Hi! I’m not sure if you discovered who is who already but I also have female sage eggers from Alchemist and they’re about 12 weeks old now but I’ll attach a pic. The one you have here is a coco egger :) my sage eggers didn’t have that big of a comb at 5 weeks. did it turn out to be a boy or girl?

Attachments

• 0E996D1F-9812-4374-8A72-E5241161778A.jpeg
    0E996D1F-9812-4374-8A72-E5241161778A.jpeg
    662.2 KB · Views: 6
Hi! I’m not sure if you discovered who is who already but I also have female sage eggers from Alchemist and they’re about 12 weeks old now but I’ll attach a pic. The one you have here is a coco egger :) my sage eggers didn’t have that big of a comb at 5 weeks. did it turn out to be a boy or girl?

Hi there! Blueberry is about 11 weeks old now and the comb is pretty much the same size as it was when I posted the photos at 6 weeks! It's barely grown at all and is still quite pale, the same as the azure egger girls. I still don't see any signs of male feathering so I'm hoping it's a she =)

It could be a cocoa egger, although I also have a bird that is black with copper on the neck and some green iridescent feathering, which makes me think that one is my cocoa egger. That means that Bleubs should the sage egger. Her coloring has lightened a bit, but she's nowhere near as light as your girl here. Gorgeous bird, BTW! Do you have other birds from Franchesca as well?

They're all a hoot and I'm enjoying them all immensely, regardless of which color eggs they may lay for me someday :)

Hi there! Blueberry is about 11 weeks old now and the comb is pretty much the same size as it was when I posted the photos at 6 weeks! It's barely grown at all and is still quite pale, the same as the azure egger girls. I still don't see any signs of male feathering so I'm hoping it's a she =)

It could be a cocoa egger, although I also have a bird that is black with copper on the neck and some green iridescent feathering, which makes me think that one is my cocoa egger. That means that Bleubs should the sage egger. Her coloring has lightened a bit, but she's nowhere near as light as your girl here. Gorgeous bird, BTW! Do you have other birds from Franchesca as well?

They're all a hoot and I'm enjoying them all immensely, regardless of which color eggs they may lay for me someday :)
Oh it sounds like we probably got ours around the same time! And mine are just barely starting to get reddish combs and wattles, so it sounds like yours is probably a she as well :)
Yes! I ordered 2 female sage eggers and 1 female azure egger. It's nice to know they were guaranteed girls! I also added a silkie on last minute but Franchesca didn't have one at the time so she gave me two seramas, one ended up being a boy and one is a girl. I don't usually rave about a lot of business but I looove Alchemist. I would have loved to get a coco egger but I couldn't keep the possible boy.
Is it possible he/she is actually an olive egger? I was looking through alchemist’s site for fun and she looks very similar!
They're definitely more skittish/athletic than the birds I hatched & but I'm super happy with them. They get more fun everyday!
I'll be interested to see what color Blueberry ends up laying but she's gorgeous either way! I haven't seen a sage egger her color from Alchemist before. Was she dark as a chick as well? Both of my sage eggers have "mohawks".. it took a little bit of guessing when they were younger as to which ones were sage/azure but I figured out that the sage eggers are a little bit lighter with less head floof while my azure has a big dark mohawk and darker neck feathers.
This is a pic of them at around 2 weeks old:
IMG_3557.jpeg

The seramas around 6 weeks:

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 3.35.12 PM.png

And the 3 bigger girls recently:
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 3.35.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Alchemist Farm in Northern California! https://www.alchemistfarm.com
I was going to ask if you got him/her from there, I was looking at their chickens a couple months ago! My only input is for 6 weeks the comb is pretty pink. I have seen bigger combs on chicks that ended up being girls, but they stayed yellow much longer. My Speckled Sussex that turned out to be a boy had a lovely little comb that turned pink at 5 weeks, while everyone else stayed yellow until much later. His saddle feathers didn’t start coming in until about 11-13 weeks, so you can’t rely on that yet since he a
Hasn’t hit his full juvenile molt yet. My guy’s wattle area started to pink up at about 6 weeks too. My vote right now is a cockerel, but within limits, every chicken is different, so I have my fingers crossed for you, sage eggs would be pretty amazing!

Yay! I hope she is a she! I just stumbled onto this thread, will you post egg pics if she is indeed a she?

Is it possible he/she is actually an olive egger? I was looking through alchemist’s site for fun and she looks very similar!

I'll be interested to see what color Blueberry ends up laying but she's gorgeous either way! I haven't seen a sage egger her color from Alchemist before. Was she dark as a chick as well? Both of my sage eggers have "mohawks".. it took a little bit of guessing when they were younger as to which ones were sage/azure but I figured out that the sage eggers are a little bit lighter with less head floof while my azure has a big dark mohawk and darker neck feathers.

Certainly ANYTHING is possible! What I ordered was:

1 - Welsummer unsexed
1- Cocoa egger unsexed
2 - Azure egger female
1 - Sage egger female

I don't believe I actually received a Welsummer, as the two chicks with that coloring have crests and Welsummers should not have a crest. I have a third bird that looks similar, but without the coppery chest and neck, and also has a crest. These three birds are probably Azure eggers and/or Sage egger girls. Here's a few pics!

Dottie (yes, her crest is the MOST INCREDIBLE!):
IMG_7858.jpeg

Lottie, who didn't want her photo taken today. She looks just like Dottie, but with 1/100 of her crest (thought for a minute this was the Welsummer, but the crest says no):
IMG_7911.jpeg

Cleo:
IMG_7906.jpeg

As far as Blueberry is concerned, it was dark as a chick, but not quite as dark as the black one. I'm pretty sure the black one is the Cocoa egger, as it looks very much like a BCM. Here's Blueberry at the top, and the black one at the bottom. The combs are a wee bit bigger and pinker than the three above. There could be some pointy saddle feathers coming in on Bluebs, but all the birds seems to have that same sort of fluffy down in that area so 🤷‍♀️

IMG_7845.jpeg
IMG_7919 (1).jpeg

IMG_7861.jpeg

IMG_7917.jpeg

I was going to ask if you got him/her from there, I was looking at their chickens a couple months ago!

Alchemist is really an amazing farm! I love what she is doing to provide food for low income families in the area by committing to donating unsold male chicks, and I love her commitment to sustainability. It makes me really proud to support her efforts!

It also helps that her birds are pretty darn cute, and bred for docility. As an urban farmsteader, my neighbors will thank me for that =)

Back
Top Bottom