1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bluekote and ivermectin question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bobbieschicks, Dec 10, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    1. Tonight I treated everyone with ivermectin. They are all in the coop. Should I leave a window open to air the place out or will they be okay closed up smelling that stuff? There are cracks and vents in there. Tonight will be in the upper 20s.

2. I put Bluekote on my pullet's comb because her mate had torn it while mating. How long before the blue goes away and she's back to normal look. She looks pathetic right now. That stuff is messy! Is there a less messy way to treat cuts on the comb?

Thanks!
    Bobbie

2. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    So I decided to open a window for them. I chose the lowest one in the back behind the roost ladder. It's hardware clothed with 1/4" hardware cloth and I feel pretty confident it will be secure. Do you think that it's necessary? I'd feel more secure if it were closed, but I don't want to effixiate my poor chicks.

3. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    No answer on the blue kote?

They were fine this am so I closed the window. The smell was gone.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Don't know about the ivermectin, but when I spray blu-kote on my hens for missing feathers it wears off in 2-3 weeks. You can get it off your hands by just washing them a lot for 2 days, or put a little bleach on your hands. The blue stuff is gentian violet which is an antifungal dye which is used to stain microscope slides, so you might have used it in science class.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

The blu-kote wears off the skin in a couple of weeks ~ on feathers it can stay until the feathers are replaced.

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by