1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BO hens or roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by acnava4, May 26, 2011.

1. acnava4

acnava4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    These are 8 weeks old, 4 BO, well I through my black australorp in there too [​IMG] So far, there's only 1 that really looks BUFF to me? Do I have all roosters? Please tell me no [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

You look to have 1 buff there. I think the rest are reds of some type. The last one looks like a Barred Rock.

I'm no expert, but the only one that throws up a roo flag to me is the barred rock.

That little buff girl is a beauty.

Blessings-
    Em

3. acnava4

acnava4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Oh no! Don't say that, she's my favorite! lol...that would be my luck! And thank you, Henrietta is my other favorite <3 biggest sweetheart ever. I'll have to look up the BR, not familiar with them, and we were told she's a black australorp.

4. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    The last of your "buffs" is your only buff...the others look like my Rhode Island Red babies...they all look like pullets. The other is definitely Barred Rock and looks rooish to me!

5. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope, that's a barred rock. BA would be totally black, and I believe black/gray legs.

Em

6. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    The BR looks like a girl if it was a boy it would have more white also the legs would be all yellow it wouldn't have the black...oh yea they look to be all girls

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  7. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Quote:I have BRs that look like that....and they are roos. They have a really red comb compared to the pullets...

8. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Well here's mine and I know shes a girl [​IMG] sooo In my opinion it tis a girl

[​IMG]

9. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    They look to be production reds, or hatchery RIRs, all pullets. The buff colored one, also a pullet, looks like she has green legs. Is that just from the camera? If not, she would be an EE, although the rest of her body looks just like a buff orpington--- but buff orpingtons have white legs. The last one is a Barred Rock pullet.

10. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:I have BRs that look like that....and they are roos. They have a really red comb compared to the pullets...

are yours full grown? because darker feathering almost always means girl. BRs tend to get bigger combs than other breeds so that might be throwing you off. I'm going to say they are all pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by