Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there enough prize money at these shows to make this a profitable venture? If they were not breeders it seems they would not be motivated by promoting their strain. Did they then market the birds to breeders?

It seems there would be significant expense hauling hundreds of birds around the country

History of this nature fascinates me. Thanks for the stories

Quote:
I didn't think anything of it Jared. As you say things can come across differently in this format and I was in a hurry. Your questions were reasonable questions. I'm out the door now for the weekend. Just checked in for a few minutes.

Walt

Quote:
There was so much money in it that people did it for a living. Try to find the "Stringman" book. It is unbelievable to see how many birds they moved around during the fair season. They bought and sold birds as they went along to further their income. Birds were shipped Railway Express or carried in old trucks where the boxes looked like something you might see in India.....stacked very, very high. It is a very interesting read.

Off for a poultry show........

Walt

When you go to the Ohio National you are going to see all the top breeds and thier owners. Get you a exibitors sheet so you can see who owns the birds you have a interest in. Then if there and there will be a club table tell the person who is running the table you want to get say some barred plymouth rocks from exibitor number 101 and could you get him to see me. Now this place is big. Give him your cell phone number and most likely he can call you and you can say meet me in front of your bird cages at 1 p.m.

If you dont have a cell phone tell them to meet you at the show coops at a time and tell them what you are wearing.

Also, you can make arrangements to go to thier homes and pick up some eggs in the spring and bring them home and always take the chance of having eggs shipped to you but most of them a good breeders and may not do this.

If they will selll you a breeding pair or trio then buy them and your set. Ask them for a breeding trio or pair not a pair to win with.

Pay them what they are asking. You are getting more than just a pair of chickens. You are getting them as a mentor as well. You can not take these birds and ask us question on how to breed them you need a mentor. Most important issue in my book in getting a new breed.

Next Join the breed Club support thier cause. In my case I will not be there to ask you to join the Plymouth Rock Club but If I was I would promise you a good newsletter four times a year loaded with information on how to breed and raise Plymouth Rocks. Also, we will get you in touch with the local breeders to help you reach your success with your birds. We dont want you to fail because you dont have someone to talk to for advice.

You will have a lot of fun and you should take lots of pictures and then share these with us on this thread.

I was there in 2002 when I was Presidnet of the Rhode Island Red Club we had a great show and I made a video of two hours filming all the large fowl and the bantams then had a one hour panel discussion on how to raise Rhode Island Reds. I never thought 8 years latter I would Natioanl Secetary of the Plymouth Rock Club but things happen. I wish I could have time off to be there to run a table for the Rock Club but maybe next year.

There are a lot of meetings to go to and exibits to see. Its worth driving and staying for this event even if for only one day. Saturday is the big day if you are wanting to just look.

If you want to buy birds better get there Friday and hit the cages as a lot of them are sold that day.bob

Last edited:
Quote:
The Stringmen were an interesting part of America's Poultry History. At the high point of poultry shows there were a number of them that traveled around the country with "strings" of several hundred birds. Some even had more than one string so they could cover 2 or 3 fairs at the same time. During this era fairs offered some of the best shows in the country. Here in NY there was a time when our State Fair hosted a 6-7 thousand bird show. It was the Stringmen that made these shows possible.
These Stringmen usually bred some birds themselves but bought the bulk of their strings from other breeders. They had to be excellent judges to be able to go from flock to flock & quickly pick out birds from their string. It was important to them as these fair shows were how they made their living.
I'm fortunate to live near John Hayes who was one of the last of the Stringmen & have heard stories of the time of the Stringmen from him.
There is a book, The Stringman's Scrapbook" that documents the history of the Stringmen. It's out of print but it can sometimes be found on EBAY or at ABE.COM.

A good friend on mine is Jack Patterson. He helped me get my White Orp pair. He also says he is just an ole stringman. But he is Doug's mentor. I HIGHLY value his knowledge and would do anything for him. He is also responsible for fillin our Indiana State Fairs with birds. He brings in his own Stringmen buddies. A really great eye. He is the one who tells me he first looks at the width of the head then the back. Then he starts to judge. He is my personal poultry Bible for me to ask all the dumb questions and get the strait truth. We need more stringmen like Jack.

Is this "The Stringman's Scrapbook" the one by Marion Nash? If so , Amazon has ONE paperback, used for 85.00 - out of my price range right now, as I am saving my pennies for Ohio, but there for someone to grab.

Quote:
That's the one. Try abe.com [American Book Exchange] Do an advanced search.

Quote:
There was so much money in it that people did it for a living. Try to find the "Stringman" book. It is unbelievable to see how many birds they moved around during the fair season. They bought and sold birds as they went along to further their income. Birds were shipped Railway Express or carried in old trucks where the boxes looked like something you might see in India.....stacked very, very high. It is a very interesting read.

Off for a poultry show........

Walt

It seems that this era must have represented a time when exhibition and production poultry were tied together. I would guess that those birds that did well at shows were also the stock a good poultryman might take home to breed up his flock. It just makes sense to me that many folks from the farms were intersted in what good fowl looked like, not just the few exhibitors.

Thanks for the response. I can't imagine that in today's climate one could make any money exhibiting, but that the financial benefit must come from getting ones line known.

At our state fair I over heard Jack talking about handing out checks to a couple of his Stringmen buddies. And I think a couple of them were getting up to several hundred dollars. Jack says, one can make enough from being a stringman to pay all expenses including feed while on the road. I believe the gentlmen I bought my White Orps are stringmen. Jerry said he does what has been already stated, he picks up good looking birds to show and breed and let loose to people like me for a fair price. Jerry wanted just what he paid for his original pair of Whites ($60). I gave him $70. I always tip those who give a great service!

Last edited:
There is a guy in Saltsburg, PA I know that will get calls all the time to fill shows.
He takes the birds there in a pickup truck and a smaller livestock trailer and from what he told me he gets paid pretty good.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom