Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we started this new thread we have a great interest in getting started with these old Breeds that graced our poultry yards many years ago, however I am faced with a problem. The only way many of these hobbyists in poultry can get started with breeds such as Plymouth Rocks and Rhode Island Reds is with hatching eggs. The problem is many of these beginners are graduating from getting a box of baby chicks in the mail to using an incubator. I have received messages from folks stating that they do not have an incubator or have the skills to use an incubator.

What kind advice would you tell these new people on getting a new incubator for a small home flock? Which model would you suggest for them? Remember, having eggs shipped to your home is a risky venture and normally the hatches are low even with the most skilled user or best incubator on the market. These eggs need to be in a unit that is almost fool proof and have a good thermostat.

Any suggestion for our friends who want to graduate from the baby chick box to hatching their own?
Thank you .Bob

Quote:
I would say prepare before you even order the eggs make sure that you know how to operate the incubator and that it hold temperature. Maybe even try out hatching a few "less valuable" eggs from your backyard or hatchery birds and see how you do their.

Don't skimp when buying an incubator some are much easier to use then others. I have found little giant incubators cause a lot of trouble and don't use them. My hovabator works pretty well in a room with good steady temperature. The champion by far was my Brinsea incubator which is very good at automatically controlling temperature and doesn't need adjusting.

Quote:
We use the Genesis Incubator by GQF. Plug it in, fill the tray with water and set the eggs. It is easy. Hatches are very good. Great beginner or experience breeder incubator. Hatched some last week and have ducks hatching this week! we remove a couple of trays and use a small basket from Dollar Tree and zip tie two together to make a covered hatching basket. Line the basket with a paper towel and cleanup is easy. Can stagger hatches. We did buy an older Hovabator at a swap that we will use later as a hatcher. After I install a Genesis thermostat in it.

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24_28&products_id=213

47716_genesis_incubator.jpg

1588 Genesis Pre-set Thermostat
1588 Genesis. Pre-set! 110 volt, 18" x 18" x 9-1/4". Simply plug it in, then add water and eggs. Nothing to set up or adjust. This circulated air Hova-Bator comes with a thermometer, plastic bottom liner and regulates itself in the 99.5 degree F range, with built in sensors that prevent the "burn up" of eggs. Like all incubators, the 1588 requires a stable room temperature and should not be used in areas like sheds or barns.

110, and 12 volt. An optional 12 volt automotive plug is available for this incubator. To purchase the 1730 12 Volt Automotive Adapter click on that option and add to cart. If you want the 1588 also you would need to add that to your cart seperately.

Purchase alone or combine as shown
1588 only ( $120.55 ) (5lbs)
1588 w/1611 Automatic Turner ( $155.95 ) (10.2lbs)​

Last edited:
A simple search on this board will get a person all the hatching information they can stand. In my mind one of the real strengths of this board has been the attention to hatching shipped eggs. I think many beleive that the Hobator 1588 I beleive is one of the better incubators for a couple hundred bucks. Again a search will get you detail.

I cant emphasize enough the importance of understanding the risk hatching shipped eggs. Great thread and it is my hope that it can stay very much on track with the true heritage breeds

Sometimes you can find some one who will hatch for you for a nominal fee. And what about a couple of mature Silkies or bantam Cochins?

This thread is very generic and broad. I subscribe to several breed specific threads. Would be nice to know what Heritage breeds everyone raises. Perhaps a thread/poll that is linked to this one.

Quote:
Might be a long list for a poll. I don't know if anyone else here raises dorkings- I know a few others have favs (Henry is a big supporter and there is a thread here.) I posted about my red dorkings on #1100 but either nobody else has hints/tips, or the feedback is so bad it can't be repeated on the forum....
tongue.png

Quote:
For those that is thinking about hatching eggs the single most important word I can tell you is preparation.
Don't get caught with a box of hatching eggs, incubator and turner and not knowing where to start.

1 - Are you going to get small incubator just to get your feet wet and see how you like it or are you going to go all out on a big cabinet incubator?
- For some one just starting out and wanting a smaller unit I would suggest looking in to a Brinsea's Octagon 20 ECO with autoturn cradle or a Lyon Turn-X Incubator TX-6A with turner.
- If your starting out and wanting to get cabinet incubator then look into a 1502 SPORTSMAN incubator and hatcher or a Brinsea Ova Easy 190.

Once you get your incubator take it out of the box and get it set up. Make sure you have it set and you know how to use it before your egg arrive to you..
Once you have the incubator up and running/ set then you can order your eggs.

Chris

Here are some Charts that should help the beginner out.

Daily formation of a embryo -
33115_embryo3.jpg

The make up of a egg -
33115_egg_parts_diagram.gif

Incubation chart -
33115_04-05umisscareincubation3.gif

Chris

Genesis Incubator by GQF

Wow you have been busy since I went to sleep. got up at 10:30 A.M. the heat last night was unreal at 11:45 P.M.when I went to bed was 81 degrees. We broke a record for the high for the day and I am sure for the low for the day. The mean Cold front that hit the mid west two days ago is on its way and we will get down to the 40s tonight or tomorrow. Sounds like a alot of people are going to catch colds with the change of weather.

I have a freind who got a Genesis for Christmas a few years ago and uses it as a hatcher with his Rollex model. That machine is high in cost but he told me the Genesis is just as good as his Rolex and would not think once for having one or two to put his eggs in.

He told me do not compair this unit with the common units you buy in a feed store. This machine is well built and has a $65. therastate alone. I have thought about buying the theramstate and puting them in my home made wooden Red Wood inncubators I use to hatch my call ducks in.

Thanks for your inforamation. You all who have been rasiing chickens remember when you started using a incuabotor it can be frustrating. I did not think that alot of people who read these threads are beginners and only go to the feed store each year to get new stock and hear I am trying to get them into some old fashion Heritage Breeds that are so rare the owners wont ship any chicks say at five weeks of age or let alone sell them hatching eggs. Our experience with hatching eggs has been poor over the last four years.

So here is the next lession we need to learn from you. How do you properly ship your hatching eggs if a person wants to share their Rare Heritage breeds to a friend on this board. That is much harder than putting the eggs into a incubator and hand turning them two or three times aday.

Look forward to your replies.

You are some very smart poulty people who read and respond to this thread. You are going to do very well with your old fashion blood lines and as I look into my crystal ball I can see you sharing and promoting these rare breeds just as Frank Reese hoped you might do..

I also, think the leaders of the American Poultry Association who have are interested in getting you into the Old fashion breeds are proud of your efforts also. One thing you should do if you havent is to join this organization The American Poultry Assc. like you have Joined the PLymouth ROck Fanciers Club.

Do you know that you who have joined our Plymourth Rock Fanicers Club have put us to the 200 Mark. Something that has not been done in over 10 years or more.

We wil keep pluging away with this tread. We have a lot to do and that is teaching the few of you who are starving to learn.

For all the old timers who shared their phone interviews with me over 20 years ago I promised them that I would share their secrets with the future beginners. This is my way of doing it.

They where the pioneers of the Heritage Breeds in the 1920s and 1940s.

We must keep thier old breeds going for the future generation in our hobby. bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom