Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Might be a long list for a poll. I don't know if anyone else here raises dorkings- I know a few others have favs (Henry is a big supporter and there is a thread here.) I posted about my red dorkings on #1100 but either nobody else has hints/tips, or the feedback is so bad it can't be repeated on the forum....
tongue.png

Yep there is a growing Faverolles group for sure! After college I plan to start raising and breeding Faverolles duel purpose qualities up as well as keeping them close to standard. Hopefully I can get a good salmon flock started after college. I want to get stock from Dick Boulanger, Ron Patterson, and possibly Peter Merlin as well.

Henry

Quote:
I have received and sent hatching eggs a number of different ways. I will just talk about the way that worked best for me every customer I sent eggs to using this method got higher then a 50% hatch and I never had a broken or cracked egg.

First you wrap the eggs in bubble wrap individually wrapping once around the bottom and once around the top. Then you put all the eggs together and bubble wrap them as a group and tape the bubble wrap up. Then you stuff a medium sized box with bunched newspaper on the bottom sides and top. Make sure you add lots of newspaper so the eggs cannot shift around and have their aircells broken or damaged.

This method is very expensive because you use a lot of tape and bubble wrap but most of my customers were ok with paying a few more dollars if they received there eggs in good shape and had a good hatch rate.

Henry

Just some pointers...

No matter which incubator you decide to use or what size you decide to buy, you must be dedicated to the hatching. Don't set eggs knowing that you will be away on your annual fishing vacation when they are due to hatch. I see this too many times resulting in abandoning the hatch or canceling the vacation.

Rather than spending all that money for a small premium incubator that will only hatch a few chicks, go for one of the larger cabinet models if you see yourself hatching a larger number of chicks in the near future. They are not that much more money.

Find someone who has an incubator like you have just acquired and see if they will mentor you the first hatch or two if you have never hatched eggs before. It will go a long way and save you the aggravation of trial and error with the particular unit or hatching in general. I have a Dickey Incubator and a Dickey Hatcher. If anyone needs advice on setting them up or using them just PM me, I'll be glad to share my experiences with using them.

Another thing to keep in mind is to have somewhere to properly brood the chicks and have it ready before setting the eggs. Remember the eggs you set will be living creatures in just a few days that must be properly cared for. I get calls all of the time about what to do with all of these chicks that are in the incubator? Do you have somewhere to grow out the chicks after they come out of the brooder?

Don't strain your budget. Folks all the time get so caught up in hatching that they "over hatch". If you can't afford to house and feed 50 chicks, then don't hatch them. I spend approximately $200.00 monthly to house and feed the 50 Heritage RIR's that I have. The enjoyment that I get from them is priceless though.

Last edited:
Quote:
Might be a long list for a poll. I don't know if anyone else here raises dorkings- I know a few others have favs (Henry is a big supporter and there is a thread here.) I posted about my red dorkings on #1100 but either nobody else has hints/tips, or the feedback is so bad it can't be repeated on the forum....
tongue.png

Yep there is a growing Faverolles group for sure! After college I plan to start raising and breeding Faverolles duel purpose qualities up as well as keeping them close to standard. Hopefully I can get a good salmon flock started after college. I want to get stock from Dick Boulanger, Ron Patterson, and possibly Peter Merlin as well.

Henry

Peter Merlin has awesome birds...

Walt

Quote:

Henry

Peter Merlin has awesome birds...

Walt

I know best Faverolles around but he doesn't generally sell anything.

Quote:
I know best Faverolles around but he doesn't generally sell anything.

I don't think he raises many.

Walt

Nope he doesn't I am trying to talk him into breeding some more so he can sell some.

I got a strange or difficult request this mourning from a person who lives in the Northern California region who wants to get eggs from a Cornish breeder. I presume he wants White or Dark Cornish large fowl. He also stated he wishes to use these birds to cross on some other breed to make eating type fowl.

First I dont now many Cornish breeders in bantams let alone in large fowl. Do any of you out there have any clues? Shipping large fowl Cornish to some one from across the United States say from South Carolina would be very costly.

Any suggestions for this this west cost want a be Cornish Breeder on this very rare Heritage breed? bob

Last edited:
Well Bob- I am not sure who breeds them over this way. Yet, if he hasn't found any by The Stocton show. There is bound to be someone there. In fact, I think it was a bantum that was up on winners row this year. I believe there were a decent amount of large fowl represented. Maybe someone there can of help.~ Tacey

Quote:
There are only two people that I know of that raise LF Cornish and they will not sell eggs or chicks. There are several of us that have Cornish bantams and no one I know will sell eggs or chicks. There were 100 bantam Cornish at Stockton.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom