Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Brian Decker in Toledo WA has LF whites... but idk if he will have any to sell in the spring or not... im still on his list from this spring... pm me 4 his email address...

P.S. there is all so a yahoo group for cornish

Last edited:
Thanks. I was affard of this. I think this guy would be better off odering large fowl cornish from Ideal and then he will at least have something to croos onto what ever he wants to cross onto. I do not think he want to breed them up and show them. Anyone who ask for hatching eggs for a breed as rare as this does not know how few there are in the country. You will have to pay a good price for adult birds say $50 a bird plus shiping for three which could go to about $200. They want some eggs and think they will get into the breed cheap. Just will not work for this guy. Thanks again

I am picking up my Dark Cornish tuesday night. Got five adults and fiveteen three to four month olds to play with.

bob

Do you guys think that it is possible to have a true Purebreed bird that can be used for production that will produce as many eggs per year as a hatchery "purebreed"

Quote:
it depends about your focus in your breeding... if your main focus is egg laying ability then other traits tend to suffer... it is better to have a well rounded bird IMO... but if thats all you want is eggs you can breed for it and get better production over time... it takes a while egg laying ability is only 25% heritability(sp?) so expect it to take a few years... but its proably better to just chose a breed that lays more eggs... the problem with alot of hatchery birds is that instead of breeding them ''up" to better egg production they have crossed the birds and then sell them as purebred...

I want to have a good dual purpose breed that is good for eggs, meat, and mothering. Im looking for a sustainable breed that lays enough to pay for its self but also has a carcass that has enough meat that its feasible to butcher.

Cool, so the blue wyandottes are better layers then the other colors? How many eggs a year do they lay do you think? Also do you know what they tend to dress out to?

Quote:
We have an australorp hen that laid 302 eggs last year..The genes for record egg laying were in those birds..somone with some deep pockets inported all of the record egg laying australorps way back in the 20s and 30s to america,,wouldnt you think that somone would have taken better care ? they like the rest got lost in time and left behind for the commerical breeds..When people went out to the work force and off the farm , many of these breeds were nearly lost..The worlds record is 364 eggs in 365 days with no artificial lighting, it was an australorp hen...one after another australorp hens set world records that stand unbroken...I have 10 aussie hens at this moment its the end of october and 20 degrees tonight and today I picked up 9 eggs...thats pretty good for this time of year, they let up just like every breed in winter and they didnt make the commercial list because they will go broody and sit eggs unlike the commercial layers that wont..so the commercial farms didnt want to deal with that..they dont always go broody but they make great moms when they do.Im sure that had our hen not gone broody for a short time she would have laid more than 302 eggs..weve been watching them closely , one group is at our other farm and the show australorps are at our house farm... a few are shown thier eggs are shown and bred to both show roosters and roosters known to produce good egg layers..they spend part time at the other farm and part time up here then out to free roam for the rest of summer..

It was the egg laying performance of Australorps which attracted world attention when in 1922-23 a team of six hens set a world record of 1857 eggs at an average of 309.5 eggs per hen for a 365 consecutive day trial. It must be remembered that these figures were achieved without the lighting regimes of the modern intensive shed. Such performances had importation orders flooding in from England, United States of America, South Africa, Canada and Mexico. Well looked after Australorps lay approximately 250 light-brown eggs per year. A new record was set when a hen laid 364 eggs in 365 days.They are also known to be good nest sitters and mothers, making them one of the most exceptional large, heritage utility breeds of chicken.

The australorp is a black feathered white skinned dual purpose bird

A show rooster at the house farm
35675_chicken_pics_246.jpg

This is butter cup, she got 1st place at the APA show and is just about to lay her egg at the show. she went to county fair also laid an egg every day there except monday. shes in partial molt so the timing wasnt the best for the show, she neverlet up on the egs even in molt.Ive found that a lot of our australorps do a partial molt and never stop laying eggs..
35675_chicken_pics_209.jpg

I would like to have the delaware added to the farm also for the meat and egg dual purpose of the breed..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom