Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the same as Walt. I worked ten days as a snot nose kid picking blue berries and took my pay check and bout seven Light Brahma large fowl from a guy my dad said paid a dollar per egg .

After I went to the Fall Show in Multaoma Oregon with a friend of my dads Vern Sorenson I saw Bill Sheeres Light Brahmas. It was the second most heart breaking experience I ever felt next to finding out there was no Santa Clause. Most kids would have given up. Not me I went out to find out what Standard Breed Chickens were all about.

I purchased the best I could afford and had them shiped to me from Custer Park Illinois. They where the George Underwood trio of Rhode Island Reds. A $50. trio for $25. George said there is something about you I like and I want you to have better birds so its on me. Also, he said do your best to promote Rhode Island Reds when you grow up.

I think I have kept his promise to him.

Start with what you have and start with good stock. Dont waist time with Junk or Scrubs like most people do. If that is what you like then do so. Not part of the scope of this thread.

Keep kicking the can down the road. It takes for ever to read what you guys have wrote in 24 hours.

Last edited:
Is this for any breed or a certain breed? I mean, I only ask because I thought mahogany was a desired color in certain breeds? I know there is a mahogany orloff...and I thought a Buckeye's coloring was called mahogany too?

[Edited to add] Completely off topic from the purple feather, but I wanted to know if the Partridge Chantecler is a heritage breed? I see white is another variety but I'm not fond of completely white chickens. The white one was recognized in 1921, and the partridge was 1935 so according to dates... should be a heritage breed right?

Yes, the Partridge Chantecler is a heritage breed and a lovely bird to have around and work with. It is tough to find good ones, but they are out there. The feather quality and type of many of the hatchery birds is not there, but I have seen some of John Blehm's birds and they were nice.

If you are looking for top quality fowl to start by,
1. asking here;
2. check ads and compare show stats in Poultry Press;
3. contact national breed club and browse breeder directory while comparing show stats.
--------------
Good educational starter package for novice breeders;
1. APA SOP,
2. subscription to Poultry Press;
3. Book, Genetics of Chicken Colours-The Basics; 4. book, Genetics of Chicken Extremities;
(or similar books, these are the best in the field)
5. Join your chosen national breed Club and utilize their educational opportunities;
6. The classic breeder-authored book on your breed.
All of these things can be found by a quick search on the Net.
Do not ask me for URL's. If one doesn't start gathering these educational materials,
esp. the SOP, how can they be expected to be taken seriously?
So over pointless questions on this list,
Karen

It's not hard to find top quality fowl. What's difficult is to convince the breeder you are serious. If one doesn't start showing the poultry world they are seriously educating him/her self, how can they expect the breeder to take them seriously? That education involves more than a constant barage of questions which don't result in conclusions, just more questions. One needs to show the poultry world they are moving in a direction, not just swirling around in endless conversation.
karen

Last edited:
Gonna take some time off the list. Gotta go make last minute ..check everything is fine for Junior and his Junettes arrival. Think I will turn on the electricitty in the coop even tho it is 40 outside, smile. Nothing too good for my boy and his girls.
Best Success,
Karen

Last edited:
Gary Overton has some lovely Call ducks.
 karen

I was down to gary overton's recently and did not see any calls. If someone was looking to get serious into raising show caliber call ducks I would suggest contacting people like art lundgren, evy avery, lou cunnningham, or dustin wilson. Mr blosl has nice grays.

I was down to gary overton's recently and did not see any calls. If someone was looking to get serious into raising show caliber call ducks I would suggest contacting people like art lundgren, evy avery, lou cunnningham, or dustin wilson. Mr blosl has nice grays.

Evy has had some great calls in the past but has pretty much retired. She still keeps a few for herself but hasn't shown in some time & as far as I know hasn't sold any for years. Art Lundgren is usually a great source but he sells out quick so you should contact him early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom