Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I belong to a mailing list that has, as part of their requirements that "You must own at least one book about poultry, and you are expected to have read it".
roll.png

I "got my start" in chickens with a mixed batch from cackle hatchery. I had one or two of several breeds they offered that I thought would be fun to have, including 'easter Eggers". 9Stillhave descendants of those EEs in my yard flock) when we moved to a large farm a couple years later, I was ready to try my hand at 'raising a breed" and selected the Anconas over 20 years ago by ordering them from McMurray. I had Dalmatians at the time, and thought the contrast would be nice. It was, and I've enjoyed the birds so much they outlasted the dogs. Now, McMurray might have had pretty good birds in the 60's but by the time I ordered my birds, they were just average hatchery stock. Not complete "junk", but nothing that would be competitive beyond the local county fair. It's been fun and challenging breeding them up. I just added rosecomb genetics to my Anconas, so it's a bit like starting all over again with them.
big_smile.png
Anyway, about 6, maybe 7 years into the Anconas, I was in an online conversation with Mark Fields about breeding chickens in general, and eventually, Dominiques specifically. He met me at a show in Guthrie and *gave* me a fine trio to start with. I joined the breed club, looked up another local breeder Jack Bloomer and went to his house to swap a poultry book for another trio. We hit it off so well, I ended up bringing home about 15 birds. He kept saying "if you take that pullet, you need that male to go with her..."Just a super nice man.

Note: at that point I had already learned how to keep chickens alive longer than one year,
and I had already been selectively breeding and improving a flock of purebred birds for several years before I felt ready for the challenge of taking on a second breed.

When I decided I was ready for a third breed, I chose the Buckeye, both for it's interesting back story, and the fact that it was such a good contrast (type and color) to the birds I already had.
I spent no small amount of time on the internet. Remember, Poultry Neophytes, "Google is your Friend".
I sought out the actual breed club, not just an informal yahoo mailing list, and contacted Laura at Pathfinder's Farm about hatching eggs, which seemed like an inexpensive way to have a few around to "try them out". By that time, I had two decades' worth of experience with raising all kinds of poultry, but especially bred to standard chickens. LSS, I enjoyed the Buckeyes so much I've since ordered chicks from Urch and again, from Laura, and am feeling confident enough with my breeding them that I've got a few entered in the show in Shawnee. It will be good to see if I'm developing an "eye" for the Buckeyes.
wink.png

My advice for anyone starting out: if you're still at the point where everything looks good, indulge, get one or two of whatever and get it out of your system. You'll quickly decide if you want to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the breed are worth it, and in the meantime, you'll be getting the basics of poultry keeping down. You'll loose birds to cocci and learn about worming and parasites and predators and housing and hatching and chicken shows and the NPIP on your starter birds. When you've got *that* part down, join the breed club, and start contacting breeders of whatever rare/heritage breed has captured your heart. If your intentions are on the mark, a good breeder will recognize it.
Great information!! I agree with the "get one or two of whatever". Right now I have 6 chickens and they are a handful, but I love that handful. I've had to deal with deformities and culls, but I haven't had any parasite issues or predator issues (yet) because of where we live but I'm sure I will in time...there are both of those things in virtually any environment. No cocci yet, but again, I think that's due to the fact that they're inside a house with a neurotic human parent who keeps their bedding fresh every morning (don't like them having to walk in their own poop and I especially hate it when they get it in their food and water). Thanks for the information and the life experience! I actually really like the Buckeye even though it's a solid color and solids really aren't my "thing", but it's such a pretty mahogany colored bird (or dark maroon or whatever color is the appropriate term) I like how rich it is. They're kind of a dark red velvet cake color. lol!
I'm not sure why it keeps doing this - it's quoting "something" you said but nothing is in the body of the message. Thank you for telling me all of that! I definitely don't live in a hotbed of poultry either, that's for sure (I didn't really know that until I started poking around though). There are LOTS of people with chickens, don't get me wrong, but I have found thus far that most of them are barnyard chickens kept strictly for eggs and meat and not any specifically geared toward breed preservation (there are some though). The state line that rests closest to where I live happens to be a state that is very strict with poultry laws and ordinances and not many areas within that state allow for poultry keeping. That being said, I'm sure there might be some areas that have meetings, I just hope I can find them. lol

With regard to your separate pens for egglayers and others - thank you for sharing your experiences, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I mean...*when* I get involved with this full time (not if), I want to keep the fertilized eggs and hatch them out - the thought of eating something that might have been a quality chick, really gets to me. lol! It's nice to know I can keep some culls for eggs and meat, etc. Your Ameraucana sounds lovely by the way. I really like that breed and their fluffiness from the neck up. Granted, I chose easter eggers instead of Ameraucanas because I wanted a "Surprise" in what their appearance would be as they grew, but still...I do like Ameraucanas a great deal. They may end up being a non-heritage breed I keep "just because".

I found my state's APA Rep and wrote them a letter outlining my intentions and seeking any information they would be willing to share with me that might be pertinent to my endeavors..a snail-mail letter, not e-mail. I also asked for a meeting of some sort.

Now granted, I don't know if 2010 state reps are the same now as they were 2 years ago, but the state rep in 2010 is still sure to have information that is beneficial to us I would think. http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APAState_ProReps2010.pdf

I also went to the master exhibitors page http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/Assigned Master Exhibitor Number thru 20111231.pdf and scrolled to the most recent (2005-2011) list and scanned like crazy until I found someone in my own state that was a master exhibitor (in order to be able to have the possibility of being within driving distance). I then googled and found a contact number (and found some for other states as well). WOW do they know people...they know breeders, showers, judges, and people who have a lot of knowledge about chickens. Even if they *don't* show or own the breed you desire, they are almost certain to know someone who does or know someone who knows someone that does.

There are so many more aspects to owning and raising (and breeding) chickens than I thought...and that is just from one DAY talking on the phone with people! I would imagine I'm going to need to attend these "in person" meetings and introductions with a three ring binder full of blank paper. I also feel like the next 2 years are going to require me to have a lot more than just 1 three-ring binder.

Where this man lives and works is only a 2 hour drive from where I live, and I'm very excited to meet with him face to face.
Newbies like me: When you contact these people - have a notebook ready with a pen or pencil (trust me on that).
ep.gif
Speaking with these folks even over the phone is a real eye popper.

Last edited:
This is something I heard today from someone I spoke with who is highly involved with the APA. We were talking about genetics and quality and breeding and such and he popped out with this sentence that I didn't expect.

"It's not just about the genes. Crap in, crap out. Lots of folk stuff their birds so fulla garbage that there's no way they're ever gonna get quality chicks. Feed 101 should be a mandatory class, because even if ya can feed your birds table scraps that don't mean ya should. And even if the feed has a pretty label chances are that's crap too."

I'm sorry if the sentence is offensive but I am quoting and that is not something I said, lol. I don't know if the EXACT word for word is correct but I'm almost positive the quote I put there is 99% close to exactly what he said.

I'm just wondering if the more experienced people here can say whether or not that sentence is accurate? And if it is accurate, how are you supposed to know what feed is good and what is 'crap'? He went on to another topic and at the time I was just busy absorbing what he was saying that I didn't think to interrupt to ask that question...so maybe someone here can answer it.

Last edited:
This, I think, is closest to what my story is going to be -- I hope. I'm still just at the stage where I've acquired the best I can get my hands on after moving all the junk into the layer pen. F1s will be laying in the spring so we'll go for F2s and hope for the best!!!

Was just given a copy of "Practical inbreeding" (for the pedigree livestock breeder) by W. Watmough. First published in 1955 in the UK. A quick scan: it looks very interesting. (This guy sounds just like you, Walt, in his approach to the value of genetics in poultry breeding!!!)

When geneticists start producing birds that all look similar and are a 80 on the APA scale of points, I'll be on their side. 80 wouldn't get you far in any decent show class.
Chickens seem to be a lot harder than many other animals that people raise and show. My wife has shown Corgi's for over 25 years so I can tell you that getting a champion chicken is a lot harder than getting a Champion dog. Genetics is only valid if you know exactly what you are dealing with...and the geneticist don't always agree.......??

It is science and I respect that part, but I'm sorry, you have to know what genes you are dealing with to apply genetic laws with any kind of accuracy. Heck..Bob could improve a breed before these guys finished writing all the formula's down. One last thing...they only seem to want to talk about color....how do we get the genetic info to improve the body?

That's all.......

Walt

This is something I heard today from someone I spoke with who is highly involved with the APA. We were talking about genetics and quality and breeding and such and he popped out with this sentence that I didn't expect.

"It's not just about the genes. Crap in, crap out. Lots of folk stuff their birds so fulla garbage that there's no way they're ever gonna get quality chicks. Feed 101 should be a mandatory class, because even if ya can feed your birds table scraps that don't mean ya should. And even if the feed has a pretty label chances are that's crap too."

I'm sorry if the sentence is offensive but I am quoting and that is not something I said, lol. I don't know if the EXACT word for word is correct but I'm almost positive the quote I put there is 99% close to exactly what he said.

I'm just wondering if the more experienced people here can say whether or not that sentence is accurate? And if it is accurate, how are you supposed to know what feed is good and what is 'crap'? He went on to another topic and at the time I was just busy absorbing what he was saying that I didn't think to interrupt to ask that question...so maybe someone here can answer it.
Highly involved with the APA can mean most anything and could describe many members of the APA.

I use 20% flock pellets for everything except babies hatched in an incubator. Chickens and waterfowl. Management is a strange thing. What works for me here with my flock might not work for anyone else. As Bob says....walk down the middle of the road. See what works for you at your location and climate. I have 500 birds here so I don't have time for a lot of fancy mixes etc. I have the management working very well at this location with my birds. I also believe that feather quality, sheen etc can be obtained through good feeding, but I also know that it can be obtained through good breeding. My white leghorn bantams shine.with this diet. My Indies are well known for their green sheen.

It works for me, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Do what works for you at your location. Feed is a way to accomplish various good things..I just don't have the time.

Walt

I don't think I'm relying on the genetics to help me improve my birds, per se. I think I'm relying more on genetics to help me understand when it is going wrong so I can try to eliminate it. When I have a good thing, I don't question that. I run with it.

There are many ways to achieve ones goals.........use whatever works for you. Spend as much time with those crazy Canadian judges as you can.........they know their stuff. Don't ever tell them I said that!

Walt

Quote:

There may be some breeders who interview prospective buyers & have a litmus test of some sort that must be met before they sell birds but there are also pleanty of good breeders who sell to whoever comes along. I know many of the better breeders here in the Northeast & I see them selling birds at shows on a first come, first served basis. Never seen any of them quizzing prospective buyers.

Highly involved with the APA can mean most anything and could describe many members of the APA.

I use 20% flock pellets for everything except babies hatched in an incubator. Chickens and waterfowl. Management is a strange thing. What works for me here with my flock might not work for anyone else. As Bob says....walk down the middle of the road. See what works for you at your location and climate. I have 500 birds here so I don't have time for a lot of fancy mixes etc. I have the management working very well at this location with my birds. I also believe that feather quality, sheen etc can be obtained through good feeding, but I also know that it can be obtained through good breeding. My white leghorn bantams shine.with this diet. My Indies are well known for their green sheen.

It works for me, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Do what works for you at your location. Feed is a way to accomplish various good things..I just don't have the time.

Walt

Good point with regard to the "highly involved". He told me he was highly involved, but it didn't sound vain, just conversation.

20% flock pellets you say? 20% what? o.o I'm assuming protein? Would you mind sharing the brand name and formula? :D

I can see how having 500 birds would give you a lot less time to make fancy-dancy feed mixes. lol

I know there are crap parakeet feeds out there because I own a parakeet and I know about them...but I'm brand new to chickens and it would be silly of me to apply my knowledge of parakeets to chickens.

Okay...I feed our chicks this stuff:

http://www.mfa-inc.com/Portals/0/Feed/Chick and Fryer A Crumble Medicated.pdf

would you say that is a "crap feed" or would you say it's a good feed for them?

I also have a bag of this for when they are 8 weeks:
http://www.mfa-inc.com/Portals/0/Feed/Chick Grower A Crumble Medicated.pdf

And *had* planned on the layer for when they are POL as well, but if this brand or type or ingredient list is not good for them I would rather know now...than later.

This is the feed I was planning on for my hens: http://www.mfa-inc.com/Portals/0/Egg Producer Crumble.pdf

The main reason I'm asking his here instead of other forum areas is because of 4 of the definition of heritage chicken as set forth by the ALBC:

4. Slow growth rate. Heritage Chicken must have a moderate to slow rate of growth, reaching appropriate market weight for the breed in no less than 16 weeks. This gives the chicken time to develop strong skeletal structure and healthy organs prior to building muscle mass.

wouldn't feed have a lot to do with this criteria?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom