Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Chris! Nice to hear from you again! It's been awhile since I've been on to the coop, so I'm afraid I don't get to speak to you as often as I would like!

I wish we had alternate feed sources around here. Unfortunately, Southern States or TSC seems to be the only thing available. There are mills nearby, but for some reason, all of their mixed feed is in mash form. It just goes everywhere and is so dusty. Then there's the fact my birds like to choke on it.

Unfortunately, I had to give up my Minorcas. I simply didn't have the facilities to keep them from getting frostbitten at my house. So, in the interest of breeding, I sold the male and the best female to another breeder in Oklahoma. I took Forrest up on his bet that "anyone can breed Langshans" to prove him wrong. And I was stuck! So much calmer than the Minorcas and I don't have to worry about frostbite as their combs aren't as large!

I'm doubtful than anything else could take as long as a Langshan to grow. 18% seems to be the best protein percentage that I have found. Otherwise, they simply grow too fast and their legs get too spindly. With my Minorcas, I kept them at 20-22%. Once they were past 4 or 5 months, I switched them to a 16% layer pellet. For some reason, they did better on the pellets. They just grew a bit more. I'd have males that looked "complete" at 9 months and ready to show and breed. My Langshans, not so much. I'll be lucky to get a male completely grown at 10-12 months and looking "complete." I just don't see how the other breeders do it? If mine grow too fast, they don't look as good and I feel as though they lose something if I have them grow faster.

All of mine are on 18% layer/breeder crumbles after they get to 6 months old. They just don't waste the crumbles like they do the pellets. I also have it as a free choice. If mine had access to the outdoors it would make it so much simpler, but thanks to predation, not gonna happen anytime soon.

Here's "Junior and his Junettes" !!
wee.gif

http://tinyurl.com/d76sjwk

Last edited:
Hello Chris! Nice to hear from you again! It's been awhile since I've been on to the coop, so I'm afraid I don't get to speak to you as often as I would like!

I wish we had alternate feed sources around here. Unfortunately, Southern States or TSC seems to be the only thing available. There are mills nearby, but for some reason, all of their mixed feed is in mash form. It just goes everywhere and is so dusty. Then there's the fact my birds like to choke on it.

Unfortunately, I had to give up my Minorcas. I simply didn't have the facilities to keep them from getting frostbitten at my house. So, in the interest of breeding, I sold the male and the best female to another breeder in Oklahoma. I took Forrest up on his bet that "anyone can breed Langshans" to prove him wrong. And I was stuck! So much calmer than the Minorcas and I don't have to worry about frostbite as their combs aren't as large!

I'm doubtful than anything else could take as long as a Langshan to grow. 18% seems to be the best protein percentage that I have found. Otherwise, they simply grow too fast and their legs get too spindly. With my Minorcas, I kept them at 20-22%. Once they were past 4 or 5 months, I switched them to a 16% layer pellet. For some reason, they did better on the pellets. They just grew a bit more. I'd have males that looked "complete" at 9 months and ready to show and breed. My Langshans, not so much. I'll be lucky to get a male completely grown at 10-12 months and looking "complete." I just don't see how the other breeders do it? If mine grow too fast, they don't look as good and I feel as though they lose something if I have them grow faster.

All of mine are on 18% layer/breeder crumbles after they get to 6 months old. They just don't waste the crumbles like they do the pellets. I also have it as a free choice. If mine had access to the outdoors it would make it so much simpler, but thanks to predation, not gonna happen anytime soon.

Langshans won the record for the amount of feed consumed out of all the breeds I have kept here......they eat an incredible amount of feed.

Walt

Bob: I have had Buckeyes for some years now and done well with them. My starting stock was decent on the female side (Urch sent me a nice starter female, the male not so much), and I later crossed a superb male I got from Schrider over my Urch hens & pullets (in 2007). That cross really beefed up my line, and I have run with it for the last five years & had a lot of success.

I have just acquired a trio of La Fleche from Urch (which I picked up at Ohio National from him) and am getting another trio next week that is a few years Urch removed. The problem I see with them is their size. The cockerel (they are 9 months old) is only about 4 lbs 5 oz & the pullets are not quite 4 lbs (like 3 lbs 14 oz); the pullets are laying very well. I know that Duane Urch has repeatedly said that he has NEVER crossed Minorca or anything else into his La Fleche (I know some breeders did this to get their size up) & I believe Duane on this (and I asked him personally again). I do not plan to cross anything into mine as I don't want to mess them up. I do want to get their size up though. Is their any words of wisdom or advice about selecting (other than keeping the ones that weigh the most) that you can impart on me that would help me with SIZE? Anyone else too with some wisdom {i.e. Chris09, Walt, NYReds, KathyinMO,Yellow House (Joe), Fred's Hens}. I have heard size is a problem elsewhere with La Fleche. Everyone tells me not to keep any that show a white feather & I am wondering, "what if that is my largest bird? Do I keep him then?"

I am interested in talking about feed too. La Fleche grow slower than Buckeyes and probably should be fed differently? This is something I can experiment with.

P.S. I am coming to the Panhandle Poultry show in Pensacola with some of my Buckeyes so will see some of you there! Will be nice to meet you.My brother is coming over to meet me (he lives in Mobile).

Chris McCary
Chris,

Try throwing Calf Manna, Boss, and wild bird seed at those birds in addition to a 20% diet with free range.It has increased the size of my Orps wonderfully. Pullets at 8 Mos. from 8 1/2 - 9 1/2 lbs, laying up a storm, and not fat. Herb Holtz told me how to feed these big birds 35 years ago, and it works.

Your input is invaluable. Because I am who I am, and because I have my own "strange and absurd and illogical" opinions (and because people continue to publicly say that) I will no longer be posting on the forums, not just this thread but everywhere else apart from the Swap Threads (You have to post on those in order to participate). This will cut down on the amount of people I annoy with my views and backwards logic. In this way I can still learn a lot from all of you, without irritating and annoying you at the same time, and causing "rudies" to be slung in my direction. I have very strong opinions that have nothing to do with learning proper chicken raising (like why I won't eat fertilized eggs). I've been very clear in the fact that I'm clueless when it comes to chickens...that doesn't mean I'm not allowed an opinion or knowledge in other areas, and I don't feel it's proper etiquette to slam someone for any reason.

Like I said, I will read and 100% apply the information given on this thread and many other threads, but due to the fact that I do not have thick skin and have no desire to have thick skin, it's best that I simply not post. I don't like the bitter, frustrated, mouthy person I become while posting at BYC. I like the old me...the sweet me, and I'm anything but sweet here at BYC lately (I've become ugly with my words and I refuse to do it any longer).

I wish everyone the very best in all things, particularly BIG blessings in 2013 regarding the heritage flocks you're putting so much effort into preserving. I'm very excited to see what 2013 will bring to all of you, and I particularly enjoy seeing pictures of your amazing birds. Good health to everyone and their flocks, and thank you again...I will continue to soak up information and I will continue to be very appreciative of those who choose to share your knowledge with everyone here. I still fully intend on beginning my heritage preservation in 2015 and I have decided on the Chantecler (I will start with the white only and move on to partridge after I learn type properly). I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Chris,

Try throwing Calf Manna, Boss, and wild bird seed at those birds in addition to a 20% diet with free range.It has increased the size of my Orps wonderfully. Pullets at 8 Mos. from 8 1/2 - 9 1/2 lbs, laying up a storm, and not fat. Herb Holtz told me how to feed these big birds 35 years ago, and it works.
When you say Calf Manna, what exactly is it? Seems there are several things labeled Calf Manna when I see it at TSC

Sorry for the goofy question...

Thanks

When you say Calf Manna, what exactly is it? Seems there are several things labeled Calf Manna when I see it at TSC

Sorry for the goofy question...

Thanks
Calf Manna comes in 25lb and 50 lb sacks, and is a vitamin-mineral supplement for darned near any critter. It works wonders especially in growing large frames on birds. I've fed it for years to horses, cows, pigs, goats, rabbits, dogs, and birds. My son , who is now 6'4" used to munch on it when he was little...well not really LITTLE, as he weighed 11 lbs at birth. It is great stuff. I feed 1/4 cup a day to growing Orps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom