Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is too bad that I didn't pose this guy next to a ruler, but that black hen weighs 9 lbs to give you a point of reference.

A young Shamo male and female

Walt

When I increase light, I follow the commercial laying industry's protocol. I increase it 15 minutes a day, until I achieve the desire total light hours. Studies seems to indicate that it is the increasing light that is most effective, rather than just snapping on an extra 4 hours all at once. FWIW.

It's a bit of a pain doing it gradually, but it certainly pays dividends, I guess.

I can get you the link to that, if you wish.
THank you!!

Yes I planted a couple of 50 lbs sacks of re-cleaned race horse oats this fall in my green plots for my animals to feed on this winter. anti(against)- fungal(mold)? correct?

Jeff
Around the feeders is the thickest greenest area on my whole property with all the corn, wheat, oats, boss, and everything else growing there from the livestock being picky at times.
The second thickest greenest spot is around the hay feeders.

Chris

It is too bad that I didn't pose this guy next to a ruler, but that black hen weighs 9 lbs to give you a point of reference.

Walt
That's a big boy, how high is the roost in the first picture? About 18 inches?

Chris

Walt
THis was a teaching moment for my kids!! THey pulled out the measuring tape to see 30 inches, then held it up to them selves---They were yelling and whooping over the birds were well over their waist. I big change from the hatchery hens.
ep.gif

Bob-- I hope someday my kids will remember having chickens and come back to it!!! KISS

The Shamo is a huge bird. there were some at the Shawnee show in December and they had to bring out the BIG exhibition cages! They are regal fowl for sure.

Thank you on the bator answer. Made my decision for me.

Heading over to CSU now.

Does anyone have any experience using the 250W (there are others as well in lower wattage) Ceramic Heat bulbs that are in the pet stores for reptile use? With the slow phase out of incandescent bulbs, I'm wondering what to use in place of the 250W light bulbs I currently use in my brooders.

These ceramic bulbs are kind of expensive (around $30 each) but they seem to have a much longer life expectancy than light bulbs

Any advise? Experience?

I can't brood chicks in the basement any longer due to allergies the boys and I have to dust....we did that one year and we REALLY paid the price. Can't do that again

Thanks all

Does anyone have any experience using the 250W (there are others as well in lower wattage) Ceramic Heat bulbs that are in the pet stores for reptile use? With the slow phase out of incandescent bulbs, I'm wondering what to use in place of the 250W light bulbs I currently use in my brooders.

These ceramic bulbs are kind of expensive (around $30 each) but they seem to have a much longer life expectancy than light bulbs

Any advise? Experience?

I can't brood chicks in the basement any longer due to allergies the boys and I have to dust....we did that one year and we REALLY paid the price. Can't do that again

Thanks all
I use red flood lights. They work great. Less than $9 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom