Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to get a couple of these to guard the house! Man alive! Nobody would mess with that thing!
If you'll notice he is holding the bird away from his body which makes it appear bigger. Plus, the bird itself is stretched out to a great length than it would normally stand.

The bird is either of Shamo origin or Kulang type Asil.

Does anyone have any experience using the 250W (there are others as well in lower wattage) Ceramic Heat bulbs that are in the pet stores for reptile use? With the slow phase out of incandescent bulbs, I'm wondering what to use in place of the 250W light bulbs I currently use in my brooders.

These ceramic bulbs are kind of expensive (around $30 each) but they seem to have a much longer life expectancy than light bulbs

Any advise? Experience?

I can't brood chicks in the basement any longer due to allergies the boys and I have to dust....we did that one year and we REALLY paid the price. Can't do that again

Thanks all
I've used them. They work great. They definitely are pricey but I still have one that I've had for at least 5 years and it still works. It's best to have a ceramic socket for them as their heat will definitely dry out and crack the plastic encased ones.
If you'll notice he is holding the bird away from his body which makes it appear bigger. Plus, the bird itself is stretched out to a great length than it would normally stand.

The bird is either of Shamo origin or Kulang type Asil.

wink.png

Quote:
We are in our third hatching season with our Genesis and no issues yet. Have had great hatches.

1588%202012.jpg

3260%20Control%20Center.jpg

3260%20humidity.jpg

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77

The GENESIS Hova-Bator is TUV LISTED. This certification along with the safety afforded by its 12 Volt system makes it perfect for use in classroom and laboratory settings. It is pre-set for bird eggs. Simply plug it in, then add water for humidity and eggs. While the thermostat set temperature can easily be fine tuned, most users won’t find it necessary. The LCD will display set temp, actual temp and humidity percentage in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. The pre-set microprocessor based thermostat digitally regulates itself. The digital technology in this thermostat means the command setting is never affected by changes in humidity, temperature or dust. Built in sensors prevent the “burn up” of eggs. Like all incubators, the GENESIS requires a stable room temperature and should not be used in areas like sheds or barns. Excellent for classrooms, novices, and experts. Thermostat can be set to any temperature required for bird eggs and can also be set for all reptile eggs down to 60F. (room temperature has to be 50F for the 1588 to regulate 60F.). Includes picture window & plastic bottom liner. TURNER SOLD SEPARATELY. 1588 - 12 Volt DC power supply operates on 100 to 240 Volt AC . Only U.S. plug & cord set supplied. Input: AC 100-240V 50/60 Hz 1.5A Output 3000mA 12Volt Without an automatic turner in place, the incubator will hold 50 duck or chicken eggs or 130 quail eggs. Dimensions 18 1/2” x 18 1/2” x 9 1/2”

Does anyone have any experience using the 250W (there are others as well in lower wattage) Ceramic Heat bulbs that are in the pet stores for reptile use? With the slow phase out of incandescent bulbs, I'm wondering what to use in place of the 250W light bulbs I currently use in my brooders.

These ceramic bulbs are kind of expensive (around $30 each) but they seem to have a much longer life expectancy than light bulbs

Any advise? Experience?

I can't brood chicks in the basement any longer due to allergies the boys and I have to dust....we did that one year and we REALLY paid the price. Can't do that again

Thanks all

Fifteen years ago I bought two 60 watt ceramic heat bulbs. One bulb died way too quickly and it was still under warranty but I had lost the receipt. The other one still sees intermittent use keeping my water lines from freezing. The brand I have does not seem to be available any more and the ones available today are slightly different. I see Zoo Med is advertising their ceramic heat bulbs as having a "lower rate of failure" due to a specially insulated neck, so maybe the bulbs have improved over the years. I've been considering their 150 watt heat bulbs for the new brooder I'm building. I'm thinking a 250 watt infrared blaster will fry most of the chicks in my new setup, except maybe on the coldest nights. Am going to do some experimenting with different bulbs as soon as construction is complete.

Sarah

We are in our third hatching season with our Genesis and no issues yet. Have had great hatches.

1588%202012.jpg

3260%20Control%20Center.jpg

3260%20humidity.jpg

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77

The GENESIS Hova-Bator is TUV LISTED. This certification along with the safety afforded by its 12 Volt system makes it perfect for use in classroom and laboratory settings. It is pre-set for bird eggs. Simply plug it in, then add water for humidity and eggs. While the thermostat set temperature can easily be fine tuned, most users won’t find it necessary. The LCD will display set temp, actual temp and humidity percentage in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. The pre-set microprocessor based thermostat digitally regulates itself. The digital technology in this thermostat means the command setting is never affected by changes in humidity, temperature or dust. Built in sensors prevent the “burn up” of eggs. Like all incubators, the GENESIS requires a stable room temperature and should not be used in areas like sheds or barns. Excellent for classrooms, novices, and experts. Thermostat can be set to any temperature required for bird eggs and can also be set for all reptile eggs down to 60F. (room temperature has to be 50F for the 1588 to regulate 60F.). Includes picture window & plastic bottom liner. TURNER SOLD SEPARATELY. 1588 - 12 Volt DC power supply operates on 100 to 240 Volt AC . Only U.S. plug & cord set supplied. Input: AC 100-240V 50/60 Hz 1.5A Output 3000mA 12Volt Without an automatic turner in place, the incubator will hold 50 duck or chicken eggs or 130 quail eggs. Dimensions 18 1/2” x 18 1/2” x 9 1/2”
wow this one is much nicer than mine. what would you say your average hatch rates are? Have you tried hatching shipped dark eggs? If so how was the rate?
Thanks

Ah, I wax poetic about the bantam Speckled Sussex Jackie created by melding Mongold and Overton into her Skytop strain. Just stunning and she became a Master Breeder in them. Then changed breeds and sold them to Adam Loeffel in KY. Last I heard, Adam shipped eggs.
Karen

Following up on this muse, I just received this month's Poultry Press in the mail. The first pic on the front page is one of Jackie's Speckled Sussex bantams: Grand Champion Bantam, a hen,at the Ohio National. Beautiful bird. What's great when you handle her stock is that they're such dense little roasters.

Following up on this muse, I just received this month's Poultry Press in the mail. The first pic on the front page is one of Jackie's Speckled Sussex bantams: Grand Champion Bantam, a hen,at the Ohio National. Beautiful bird. What's great when you handle her stock is that they're such dense little roasters.
Yes. http://www.skytopbantams.com/sussex.html I just drool over "Lilly".
Karen

re the anti-fungicide in feed oats. never mind. If you think it's not an issue. I just use Plotspike because I know it is pure.

PlotSpike
2122.png
Forage Oats was scientifically developed and tested for use in food plots. Forage Oats yield a tender, highly palatable, cold and drought-resistant crop that attracts deer throughout the Fall.
•Pure, Premium, Proven
•No fillers
•No chemical coatings
•Guaranteed to attracts deer throughout the Fall
Planting Instructions:
For best results, plant in a well-prepared bed. < BR>Plant seeds from 1/4 inch to 1-1/2 inches deep
Adequate moisture is required for proper germination
Lime according to soil test and fertilize periodically with high nitrogen fertilizer
Plant 50 lb. per 1/2 acre
More planting information available at www.plotspike.com
NOTE: PlotSpike
00ae.png
Forage Oats are very cold-tolerant, but no oat is freeze-proof or drought-proof. Planting done in northern or desert climates will normally result in loss of crop. Freeze out frequently occurs when sudden, extreme temperature drops follow warm, late fall or winter growing conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom