Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love my Brinsea Eco-glo's but they are not cheap either. I have a 20 and two 50's. I believe the manufacturer recommends not using them in temps under 50deg. but I use them all winter in my brooders in a horse stall outside.
Yes, I have seen this coming for awhile. Mostly, I will use broody hens so I will not need the bulbs. When I have chicks in the winter (as now), I too have been using the Brincea Eco-glo -- I have one 20 and one 50. One thing about them, the chicks jump on top of them and poop all over them & pain to clean every day. I thought of putting a pice of cardboard the size of the top. Any other ideas? I agree they are not cheap. The chicks love them (I call them an artificial hen) & I like the fact there is not a light on 24/7 & they are safe.

this is true to a point but when you break down the genus they are technically chickens , a better way to lay it out is the wild mallard as an example: it is Genus : anus/cairina species : ana platyrhynchos and the domestic duck which all but the (muscovies) are from is ana platyrhynchos domesticus and we all know that a mallard is a duck . Well on the same comparison chickens and junglefowl both are of genus: Gallus , species Gallu Gallus with the scientific name for the domestic sub species is Gallus Gallus Domesticus so they are the same species
Chickens are a sub-species of a Jungle Fowl just like the domestic dog is a sub-species of the Gray Wolf. (Do you call the Gray Wolf a Dog or a Wolf?)
If you call the Jungle Fowl a Chicken do you call the Pheasianidae's a chicken also?

Chris

What type of brooder do you have?
If you have the metal box brooders then they might have the heating element box in them, if so then all you need is a heating element like what they use in the sportsmen incubators.

Chris
I have the home-made wood box type, lol! I'm just going to use lights until I can't anymore and by then someone will have come-up with a clever alternative I'm sure!

I do like that one you posted, just a little pricey for me at the moment. Right now all my extra money is going into my pens and I've already spent to much.....I need to take a break, I have a new baby that's going to be here in about three months so I can't be getting to, to crazy with my chicken "fetish" right now!!!!

Chris

Originally Posted by Zanna

Quote:

Quote: cgmccary I have an Eco Glow 50 that I use for my meat chicks. I love it...as stated, no light burning and they love to "hide" under it. Worth the investment to me. I use broodies for hatching and raising other chicks but 35-50 meaties at one time is more than I'm willing to ask of them.
Cleaning the poop off the top is made easier by cutting old sheets, towels, curtains, etc into pieces that fit the top and making four holes that the "legs" can go through (kind of like a bed skirt and you can leave it hang around the edge a bit to simulate feathering). I make several and when one is dirty, take it off and hose it down and dry on the fence.
I have to admit that I have stocked up on some incandescents to have around. I like the CFLs for energy savings but still like to have "instant light" in a cold barn when I want it.

Yes, I have seen this coming for awhile. Mostly, I will use broody hens so I will not need the bulbs. When I have chicks in the winter (as now), I too have been using the Brincea Eco-glo -- I have one 20 and one 50. One thing about them, the chicks jump on top of them and poop all over them & pain to clean every day. I thought of putting a pice of cardboard the size of the top. Any other ideas? I agree they are not cheap. The chicks love them (I call them an artificial hen) & I like the fact there is not a light on 24/7 & they are safe.
Contact paper that you line kitchen drawers with, sticky but peels right off. You buy it in a roll and just cut to size. I found it at Walmart where the kitchen towels/oven mitts are sold. I also use a car window ice scraper to scrape the poop off.

http://www.brinsea.com/prod-EcoGlow_50_Chick_Brooder-256.aspx

The two 60 watt light bulbs have worked so well for me for the past 20 years. I have a wooden box say about 2 feet by 3 ft. a socket and a bulb in it about 8 inches from the corner. If one bulb goes out the other will keep them going till I check on them.

One bulb will last almost a whole season the only other thing is stock up for ten years but the goverment may come and get you if they know you have them.

Mr. Silkie may have to be used with the scrub white rock bantam hens. Get ten sitters that will go broody then you dont need light bulbs

Here is a question will a Jungle Fowl make a good sitting hen?

if not what are your top picks in the chicken world. bob

If we are going to loose these old fashion light bulbs for our brooder boxes we are going to have to figure out new ways to heat our chicks.

Any suggestions ?
Been thinking about this. Brinsea makes a 50 chick hover heater for about 100. Ya know those white Enviro/EVO panel heaters that cost about the same? http://www.eheat.com/ What if we used one of those to heat a brooder? Maybe use it on a side wall behind a wire screen that the chicks could get warm, but not touch the panel? Who says the heat has to come from the top? Maybe use that silver thin insulation for a roof, that has some adjustable vents built into it so the interior temp can be adjusted by sliding them open and shut.
Hum,
Karen

Last edited:
Yes, I have seen this coming for awhile. Mostly, I will use broody hens so I will not need the bulbs. When I have chicks in the winter (as now), I too have been using the Brinsea Eco-glo -- I have one 20 and one 50. One thing about them, the chicks jump on top of them and poop all over them & pain to clean every day. I thought of putting a piece of cardboard the size of the top. Any other ideas? I agree they are not cheap. The chicks love them (I call them an artificial hen) & I like the fact there is not a light on 24/7 & they are safe.
=======================================
Take a look at this: http://woodworking.rockler.com/hardware/Big-Gulp-Dust-Collector A bunch of makers produce collectors like this. Big and small. I don't know about overheating issues if you put a cover like this on top an Eco Glow. It does have a hole in the top for a chimney. Maybe set it up on 4 corner risers about 1 inch above the Eco Glow so some heat can also escape around the edges.
Karen

Last edited:
Been thinking about this. Brinsea makes a 50 chick hover heater for about 100. Ya know those white Enviro/EVO panel heaters that cost about the same? http://www.eheat.com/ What if we used one of those to heat a brooder? Maybe use it on a side wall behind a wire screen that the chicks could get warm, but not touch the panel? Who says the heat has to come from the top? Maybe use that silver thin insulation for a roof, that has some adjustable vents built into it so the interior temp can be adjusted by sliding them open and shut.
Hum,
Karen
this is the econo heat unit I have heating the woodshop. no vents like the new one. Just a flat panel. It does get hot to the touch, unlike the newerer model. But if one put it behind a wire screen, the chicks couldn't get against it and still would keep warm. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=econo+heat+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom