Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Bobby!
It was a wonder full show and we tore it down and cleaned it up this moaning and it was a great success. As you can see from the pictures it was a nice well lighted show. I hope this winter show in December will have double the bantams and will have double coops on top. One judge said this club has the potential to have a semi annual APA show here some day. We got the space, the good members to put it on we just need our own coops.

I am glad you like the Red Bantams I tough about the width of body on the bantams and how they where able after 20 years maintain that from the Large Fowl cross. I hatched three white rock bantam chicks today so looks like my old line may keep going. I lost my two best hens to a Pitt Bull dog who pulled the wire right off the side pens and they got out and he killed them. Only such a dog or a black bear could have done this.

I am glad you also like the pens and I got a request from the Cornish guy to put a Cornish bantam on a pen. So the girl that took the pictures is going to send me his Poultry Press picture of his pullet dark Cornish and I am going to make a decal and put it on a pen for him. Then a guy said can you do a Modern Game Bantam. So maybe its going to be pictures of birds on the pens that will make a big splash. I got some plastic blanks coming in this week to also make Foot Ball Team pens and can use the white plastic to make pictures for the decals for the guys who want their favorite breed on it. I have a judge who was also the past president of the APA and I am going to try to make a pen for him with just APA and Past President on the side of the pen. Will make a nice gift for him. I enjoyed watching him judge the show. His little checks and notes was OLD SCHOOL judging.

I took some pictures of the show and the nice flower and hanging baskets which made this show so special. It looks like the shows in Germany if you ever saw pictures of videos of their shows. Not just chickens in cages.Thanks for all who came and for you who live 400 miles or so from Pensacola Florida you need to try to come this coming December. We will treat you to a great show and nice birds to look at. bob

Thanks Matt!
You know I have as much fun hanging out with you guys as I do playing with the birds themselves and you know we always have a good time at your show!!!! Sorry that your dad couldn't make it....he is also a great guy to hang out with and talk to, hope to see him at the next one!!! You know every time I see you at a show, you teach me something new....I just got lucky at this show, your birds are killer and everyone that has seen them knows it....By the way....are you still going to sell me some White Rocks or do I need to find a new source for them, LOL!!!!

Thanks again for everything,
Chris

I finally have hetitage RIR (single comb, large fowl). I think they have very pretty markings snd coloring at 3 weeks. Does anyone disagree with their coloring or have any insight into their coloring?

here are a couple more pics from the show...

I just realized that most of the pics i took were of bantams and not large fowl. hopefully someone else will be able to post more. i would like to second and third what was said before about what a great time it was at the Pensacola show! Had lots of fun and I always learn a little more every time I attend. Congrats to our own Chris and Matt....and the Panhandle Poultry Club for putting on a great show. If you ever get a chance to go...do it because meeting Bob is worth the trip!

Brad

Great pictures posted. My wife even said WOW. Can you visualize this room with double coops and maybe 900 bantams and in the large fowl room 200 large birds this December?

That is what I think can happen and in two or three years we could have a major meet of some sort. The labor to put on such a show by our club members is something that many would not understand however, this weekend as I walked around the show I did not see one mix up or slow down event. It worked like clock work for the judging, presentation of the awards on champion row and the raffle. We tore down the show started about 8:30 am and was done about 1 pm.

Its like a big family of people working together in harmony and getting better at each show. Then the exibitors they are so much fun to see and then the new people asking new people questions. Heck I got one lady who wanted a poultry press and got to send her my copy so she can read it. They will come back if they like the show and are treated nicely.

Our gang from Louisiana are great people and are going to be super stars in raising and showing chickens. I am so happy to share my Red Bantams with them as I have partners and you got to have that if you want to be a good breeder.

Chris the wood you gave me worked out fine. I had to drill my holes perfectly and made two pens with Alabama logos on them and going out to finish them off in a few minutes. If the Maple wood is 3/4 or even 1 inch square it would be so much easy er and a must for the larger pens. I got enough of the wood you gave me to make maybe 25 pens as I only use about five inches of wood per pen.

I hope these pictures will encourage some of you to take your family's to a poultry show just to visit for a half a day. Maybe you can purchase some birds that you been wanting to own or make arrangements to pick up birds from a good breeder. Many of the kids find it fun and when they see a junior show may get interested and want to show themselves in the future. We had about 40 entrees of very nice birds in our junior show this spring about double last December. I had a fellow who lives in West Virgina ask me about a poultry show what they provide for the exhibitor. They provide the cages to put the bird in, water cups and feed cups and shavings. Some shows you have to furnish your own cups and many of us bring clear plastic cups for water and feed some bring little plastic black cups that you buy from a poultry supp yer. You bring the birds in and put them in the chicken cages the night be for or early in the moaning about 7 to 8 am be for the judging starts which is about 9 am.

Maybe next time I will take a video of the show and then put it on Utube and then you can see one live. bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom