Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well maybe you didn't exist either, but lockdown is not more than ten years old...probably more like 6 years old and just because it is used on two places on the internet does not make it the correct usage of a word.... nor an indication of a language trend.
It is a good description....just sounds more important than it really is. Again .....I believe diet is far more important than a half click on the thermostat or humidity controls.

Chicks that are hatched and brooded under a hen always seem a cut above the incubated chicks. In both disease resistance and breed type. I have no idea why type would be affected, but I have seen it enough times to believe it is so.

I'm still waiting for you to post the pic of you with static hair.

w.

I do not even believe in the meaning of the term "LOCK DOWN". I incubate with no water, and frequently open the bator to remove the eggs shells from early hatches. It does not matter. They hatch out just fine. I stuff my foamy incubators with up to 85 eggs and use a beer can to prop up one end of the bator one day then level it off and prop up the other end the next day.
"LOCK DOWN" to me is more of a term used on campuses to protect our youts from being blown away by gun toting idiots who go to schools who mean to harm our kids.

I'm still waiting for you to post the pic of you with static hair.

w.

I was that kid they used as a example of static electricity with the scary straight, thin, blond hair that stood straight up as soon as I touched that metal ball. I'm fairly certain no photos of me looking that way exist!
ep.gif
Me and my electric personality!!! (And I did exist 45 years ago, just barely.
wink.png
)

Just one comment; while Silkies are often brilliant and frequent sitters, they are not necessarily fabulous moms. I'm much more inclined to give my standard fowl the Silkie's eggs to hatch and raise than the other way around.
I am definitely open to suggestions. What breed/mix would you suggest as both broodie and mother hens?
Thanks,
Karen

I keep the Dominique as well as the Delaware all the time and a good friend keeps the RIR. The Delaware is not the best layer but a very striking bird to look at. I have several pure breeds.

I do not even believe in the meaning of the term "LOCK DOWN". I incubate with no water, and frequently open the bator to remove the eggs shells from early hatches. It does not matter. They hatch out just fine. I stuff my foamy incubators with up to 85 eggs and use a beer can to prop up one end of the bator one day then level it off and prop up the other end the next day.
"LOCK DOWN" to me is more of a term used on campuses to protect our youts from being blown away by gun toting idiots who go to schools who mean to harm our kids.

I'm with you Bill. While important, I don't think all of this incubator folklore is necessary. I have forgotten to turn the incubator back on for over 8 hours and still had a normal hatch...more than a few times. People incubated and hatched quite well before all this solid state electronics were used. If anyone really watches...many hens are not all that great about sticking to the nest and they still have great hatches.

This is a very general statement based on what I have witnessed here, but we are blessed in Cali with very moderate climates here in Napa/Sonoma. Luther Burbank called this "God's chosen spot" and used this area to do his plant experiments.

In other areas of the country temp and humidity could very well be crucial.......I don't know. Last season the woman incubating my eggs had the temp too high and the only thing I saw was that the chicks hatched a couple days early......they were fine otherwise. She "locksdown" too, but most everything she has learned has been here on BYC.......so she is using the BYC lingo. I don't feel the need to correct her word usage, so I just grind my teeth and go on. I was asked what words are annoying to me...it is certainly no reason to stop using the word if it works.....just saying that if you read it a couple places online, it does not mean it is universal in the poultry world.

Walt

Quote:
My absolute best broody so far was/is a Black Ameraucana. She is a superb sitter and mom. I actually have to wean her chicks off her usually long after 12 weeks. I've heard that Marans are good moms but so far, that hasn't proven to be the case with my birds. However, I'm betting that changes this summer because that Black Ameraucana raised 4 female Marans last summer that I'm convinced are going to follow in her footsteps. I've had unexpected hens prove to be the best moms, including a hatchery Red Star.

I am definitely open to suggestions. What breed/mix would you suggest as both broodie and mother hens?
Thanks,
Karen

Phoenix is one of the best. Many exotic gamefowl are hatched under Phoenix hens. They also do a great job with hatching waterfowl..and no I don't spray the duck eggs with water to increase the humidity. Hens don't have any problem hatching ducks and geese....other than some of my goose eggs are too big for most chickens.

w.

Phoenix is one of the best. Many exotic gamefowl are hatched under Phoenix hens. They also do a great job with hatching waterfowl..and no I don't spray the duck eggs with water to increase the humidity. Hens don't have any problem hatching ducks and geese....other than some of my goose eggs are too big for most chickens.

w.

I agree I have 6 phoenix hens that are great broodies and to me my very best and ultimate guaronteed to set, is my American Game hen you don't even have to let her clutch a setting of eggs to go into set mode. It seems she automatically goes there after a certain number of eggs are laid or days IDK but frequently is what I'm saying here and she is the best with the biddies and the most protective too she will kick the crap outta anything that she feels is a threat some of my youngins'(adolescent chicks) here get an @$$ thrashing and don't even have a clue why or what hit them sometimes. I laugh and they soon learn to steer clear of her whereabouts for sure.

Jeff

Thanks,
Karen
Cochins are as broody as silkies and I understand they are also great moms. I'm yet to find out. I acquired 2 silkies and 3 cochins last fall, planning to have them do my brooding for me this year. I have one broody silkie now but the cochins haven't started yet. (They are young though).

Walt, what is it about diet that you think makes the difference?

I agree about the relative hardiness of hen-raised chicks over brooder-raised chicks. I would venture a guess that in the brooder they are at a more or less constant temperature all the time, and eating the same food for every meal. Hen raised chicks spend an amazing amount of time out exploring, even on cold days, and only duck under Mama Hen once in a while to warm up. Plus, they are tasting bugs and grass and anything else Mama Hen suggests they try, right from the beginning. I believe it is the variety in both diet and conditions that lends to their being more hardy, but that is only a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom