Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I'm feeling fortunate today....
I just found out that Tom Roebuck is sending me @ 18+ LF BUFF ROCK eggs.
bow.gif
woot.gif

He usually does not sell eggs, chicks or started birds...But he's breaking up his Rock breeder pens next week and has collected/saved some this week ...too hot to ship birds now, so he offered me hatching eggs. He reported good hatches. He's expressing them like 'lives' to reduce air cell damage and hopefully increase hatch rate...I've have decent hatches with shipped eggs even done with priority only shipping..fingers crossed. He says he will most likely have adults available in the Fall and will be able to ship then.

Thanks to everyone that referred me etc....
highfive.gif

P.S. Tom says his Buffs may not beat the Whites right now, but they are getting close in comparison...size and body are there...just fine tuning some 'details'.
Congratulation's not many people have his buff rocks and they are I think the best out there. At least you are not remaking the wheel like some strains.

I think shipping these eggs that way is a good idea. I have thought about shipping the eggs in a single nest box with good backing and then ship them two day priory mail like sending chicks. bob

Congratulation's not many people have his buff rocks and they are I think the best out there. At least you are not remaking the wheel like some strains.

I think shipping these eggs that way is a good idea. I have thought about shipping the eggs in a single nest box with good backing and then ship them two day priory mail like sending chicks. bob
thanks for all your guidance and help!!
I will keep you posted....
wink.png

I'm wondering if any of you are struggling with earlobe color. My birds are Crevecoeurs and it seems that many in the USA have white earlobes. In fact, though I'm waiting for eggs to start my project, the two breeding birds I currently have have some white in their lobes. Especially the hen. From what I've read, there are several genes that make white earlobes / lack of white (red) and that the way to breed is comulative. There is also the possibility that some of the genes are sex linked, but I don't understand in what way.

So I'm wondering, what can I expect with a hen with white earlobes and a cock with mostly red, yet a bit of white. I'm wondering if the hen is most likely to pass it down to her pullets and/or cockerels, or if it's more likely to be wiped out by the cock's genetics?

The only advice I've read to breed out the white, is to take your reddest birds and breed together. But what if you don't have a choice, and have to use a white ear-lobed bird?

Thanks for your opinions :)

I'm wondering if any of you are struggling with earlobe color. My birds are Crevecoeurs and it seems that many in the USA have white earlobes. In fact, though I'm waiting for eggs to start my project, the two breeding birds I currently have have some white in their lobes. Especially the hen. From what I've read, there are several genes that make white earlobes / lack of white (red) and that the way to breed is comulative. There is also the possibility that some of the genes are sex linked, but I don't understand in what way.

So I'm wondering, what can I expect with a hen with white earlobes and a cock with mostly red, yet a bit of white. I'm wondering if the hen is most likely to pass it down to her pullets and/or cockerels, or if it's more likely to be wiped out by the cock's genetics?

The only advice I've read to breed out the white, is to take your reddest birds and breed together. But what if you don't have a choice, and have to use a white ear-lobed bird?

Greetings!

Thank you for taking Crevecoeurs on! That's a brave undertaking, but worthy, indeed.

My general understanding of earlobe genetics is that it isn't very well understood. In dealing with Dorkings, I have a breed, like the Creves, tht is supposed to be red earlobed yet to lay white eggs--an unlikely combo.

I'd concentrate on your cocks. Select for the reddest possible.

In the long run, I think that a truly dedicated, long-term project in Creves will probably necessitate a process of out-crossing to an appropriate breed and then grading back.

I have just started breeding La Fleche and like they are supposed to have, my La Fleche mostly have white ear lobes but with some, I have an opposite problem: some of the earlobes have touches of red. I have been told that earlobe color is difficult to correct so I want to make sure I select only the whitest earlobes.

This first year, I am selecting my breeding birds by choosing males with the whitest lobes and best V-combs (I am told the combs are difficult to correct too) and alternately, selecting my hens mostly for larger, better shaped bodies. I have ordered some La Fleche chicks from Sandhill Preservation where I could only order 15 but had to have a minimum order of 25 chicks to ship. I had to come up with a filler breed. I initially chose Buckeyes as a filler but Sandhill indicated that Buckeyes were severely back ordered and that would delay my shipment. Since the Buckeyes were mere filler that I thought I could integrate into my flock if I saw any trait worthy, I told Sandhill to fill the 10 with Crevecoeurs with the idea I would sell, give away or eat the Creves. I will let you know what their earlobes are like. I have no idea what the quality will be like but if I have red earlobes, cluck-cluck, you are welcome to them. Good Luck with your Crevecoeurs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom