Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
---------------
I am in western Pennsylvania. Near Johnstown. Outside a small town called Ligonier. Despite my careful planning 'n hopes, I have stumbled my way thru this breeding season. with march going broody 2x , sigh. I really didn't want to read your counsel, but deep down, I have been wondering if I missed the last window for another hatch. I lost the whole month of May for the best of reasons, because didn't want chick neonates when we went to older son's wedding the end of May. So we will see how it goes. I have 2 which are iffy now. Three taken. That leaves 12 to choose from. I have room to grow out 7. Hopefully I will have several for next year.
Best,
Karen

Keep hatching.

About the hatching season and etc. The Hatching season in the US Stops now so that the Breeders can get ready for the Shows. Chicks hatched now will be the same as ones hatched later. Johnstown PA is about 50 miles further north than I am in Woodland CA and I notice no difference in chickens hatched in August compared to ones hatched in February.

There are other reasons as well--Keeping too many chickens over the winter is one of them. If a person is willing to spend the extra on feed, then hatching all year round is fine. If the light is the problem then give them light.

Last edited:
The bird is not a total loss, but would need a pretty nice male influence to get ahead anytime soon. I asked what breed because I saw the white lobes and it is slim like a hatchery Polish.

Walt

Thanks, yes, I don't think anything will happen anytime soon, LOL. Hopefully I'll get some stock before the year ends. It's ok, though, I'm just starting out, and have a lifetime ahead of me, LOL :) Thanks again.

I have couple of questions about the poultry shows; which is a brand new world for me. I am looking forward to the day which I will be able to show some of my birds. The only show world I am familiar with is the dog shows, and have a feeling that it's protocols does not apply to the poultry shows.

What are the class divisions?
What is the youngest age one can start showing a bird?
Are there classes equal to puppy classes, and if so, what are the age limits?
Can a chick attain Ch. title?
Do the birds compete against the official breed standard individually, or against each other? For example; if there are two birds completely equal in their virtues, do both win points, or the judge must decide one over the other?
How many points does a bird need to complete his/her Champion title?
Are the points awarded depend on how many contestants a bird is competing against?
Once a bird is a champion, is there a class just for the champions to compete against each other to continue their show career?
Does a show bird required to learn to "stack" for the judges to go over their bodies?
If a breed temperament is naturally shy, flighty, or pugnacious, are the exhibitors or handlers permitted to assist the bird during the presentation to the judge?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I have couple of questions about the poultry shows; which is a brand new world for me. I am looking forward to the day which I will be able to show some of my birds. The only show world I am familiar with is the dog shows, and have a feeling that it's protocols does not apply to the poultry shows.

What are the class divisions?
What is the youngest age one can start showing a bird?
Are there classes equal to puppy classes, and if so, what are the age limits?
Can a chick attain Ch. title?
Do the birds compete against the official breed standard individually, or against each other? For example; if there are two birds completely equal in their virtues, do both win points, or the judge must decide one over the other?
How many points does a bird need to complete his/her Champion title?
Are the points awarded depend on how many contestants a bird is competing against?
Once a bird is a champion, is there a class just for the champions to compete against each other to continue their show career?
Does a show bird required to learn to "stack" for the judges to go over their bodies?
If a breed temperament is naturally shy, flighty, or pugnacious, are the exhibitors or handlers permitted to assist the bird during the presentation to the judge?

Thank you!
Class divisions are Large Fowl (broken into: American, Asiatic, English, Mediterranean, Continental, and All Other Standard Breeds), Bantam (Single Comb Clean Legged, Rose Comb Clean Legged, All Other Comb Clean Legged, Feather Legged, Old English/American Game, and Modern Game), Waterfowl (Heavy Duck, Medium Duck, Light Duck, Bantam Duck, Heavy Goose, Medium Goose, Light Goose), Turkeys and Guineas. Beneath that it's breed and then variety, which are also divided by cock, hen, cockerel and pullet.

Edit: For an example let's say I've got a Black Langshan cockerel entered at a show. First he is judged against the other Black Langshan cockerels and places 1st, then he is judged against the other Black Langshans and is placed Best of Variety, he then gets compared against the other Best of Variety Langshans and say he wins that for Best of Breed. He would then be judged against the other Best of Breed winners in his class, (in this example Asiatic, so the Best of Breed brahma and Best of Breed Cochin), he is judged best there and wins Best Asiatic, now he is compared against the other Large Fowl Class winners, again in this example he is judged best and becomes Champion Large Fowl. Now he is judged against the Champion Bantam, Champion Duck, Champion Goose, Champion Turkey to determine Champion of Show.

No age restriction. Most breeds are mature and show ready between 6-8 months for chickens, with some outliers.

No "puppy" classes. Birds are entered as cock (males over a year), hen (female over a year), cockerel (male under a year), pullet (female under a year).

No individual bird titles. Both APA and ABA have points systems as do most breed clubs, these go by exhibitor, not individual animal since there is no registry. The points vary by organization, but are based on numbers of birds entered in the respective classes.

Birds aren't "shown" by exhibitors (well adults, youth do showmanship but that's different), but can be trained to pose and pay attention, and show off for judges. I personally try to acclimate my birds to being handled and get them used to show cages so that they present themselves instead of plastering themselves to the wall or hiding in corner of cage.

Birds are judged out of their cages and not "presented". I'd get your birds used to handling so that this process is easier but temperament isn't judged. Entries are anonymous so I don't think a exhibitor would be allowed to handle their bird like you've suggested.

Last edited:
About the hatching season and etc. The Hatching season in the US Stops now so that the Breeders can get ready for the Shows. Chicks hatched now will be the same as ones hatched later. Johnstown PA is about 50 miles further north than I am in Woodland CA and I notice no difference in chickens hatched in August compared to ones hatched in February.

There are other reasons as well--Keeping too many chickens over the winter is one of them. If a person is willing to spend the extra on feed, then hatching all year round is fine. If the light is the problem then give them light.

It's the temperature, which in PA is not CA. Our late hatches never reach their full potential, although, in fairness, I have raised good birds fro late hatches. They just don't finish the same.

Class divisions are Large Fowl (broken into: American, Asiatic, English, Mediterranean, Continental, and All Other Standard Breeds), Bantam (Single Comb Clean Legged, Rose Comb Clean Legged, All Other Comb Clean Legged, Feather Legged, Old English/American Game, and Modern Game), Waterfowl (Heavy Duck, Medium Duck, Light Duck, Bantam Duck, Heavy Goose, Medium Goose, Light Goose), Turkeys and Guineas. Beneath that it's breed and then variety, which are also divided by cock, hen, cockerel and pullet.

Edit: For an example let's say I've got a Black Langshan cockerel entered at a show. First he is judged against the other Black Langshan cockerels and places 1st, then he is judged against the other Black Langshans and is placed Best of Variety, he then gets compared against the other Best of Variety Langshans and say he wins that for Best of Breed. He would then be judged against the other Best of Breed winners in his class, (in this example Asiatic, so the Best of Breed brahma and Best of Breed Cochin), he is judged best there and wins Best Asiatic, now he is compared against the other Large Fowl Class winners, again in this example he is judged best and becomes Champion Large Fowl. Now he is judged against the Champion Bantam, Champion Duck, Champion Goose, Champion Turkey to determine Champion of Show.

No age restriction. Most breeds are mature and show ready between 6-8 months for chickens, with some outliers.

No "puppy" classes. Birds are entered as cock (males over a year), hen (female over a year), cockerel (male under a year), pullet (female under a year).

No individual bird titles. Both APA and ABA have points systems as do most breed clubs, these go by exhibitor, not individual animal since there is no registry. The points vary by organization, but are based on numbers of birds entered in the respective classes.

Birds aren't "shown" by exhibitors (well adults, youth do showmanship but that's different), but can be trained to pose and pay attention, and show off for judges. I personally try to acclimate my birds to being handled and get them used to show cages so that they present themselves instead of plastering themselves to the wall or hiding in corner of cage.

Birds are judged out of their cages and not "presented". I'd get your birds used to handling so that this process is easier but temperament isn't judged. Entries are anonymous so I don't think a exhibitor would be allowed to handle their bird like you've suggested.

Thanks for taking the time to answer her questions. Good job!

Walt

It's the temperature, which in PA is not CA. Our late hatches never reach their full potential, although, in fairness, I have raised good birds fro late hatches. They just don't finish the same.

We can hatch all year long in most of CA. The only thing I have noticed over the years is the late hatches are usually smaller if they are bantams or large fowl. It is great for bantams, but not so good for large fowl. Cali weather is probably one of the best places in the US to raise chickens. There is a big difference in the weather from the socal and norcal though....but still nothing like you folks experience.

Walt

Great informative and specific post !

One thing I have noticed is that too few people know how to properly pick up a chicken, especially a large fowl. You do NOT pick them up like a rock, and clutch them to your bosom, leaving their feet dangling, and the poor chicken unable to breath. No wonder they struggle. !

It's a simple matter to scoop up a bird with your hand supporting their keel.You can hold most birds' thighs between the fingers of that hand. Big birds will require the second hand to steady them. Watch the judges at the shows, and see how little the birds struggle when someone knows how to pick them up.The birds who give the judges a hard time are usually those owned by novices who have never been picked up, or scared to death by their owners inept handling.

You wanna weigh in on this one Walt ?

I am going to try a fall hatch. Would not consider it during the heat of our summer. I am going to try to get some pullets coming into lay as the daylight is increasing, and I am still looking for a Catalana cockerel that does not have a smutty under color, has a decent tail angle, good dark slate legs, and a more buff color over all in the same bird.
I have some Catalana pullets that will come into lay soon. Maybe by September they will be ready, and the two hens that I will use be laying well still. This is going to be a numbers game, so a fall hatch would help me get those numbers up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom