Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just made up a batch of dewormer here for our chickens and pigs. 4 butternut squashes cut up and cooked down to mash with skins on. I took seeds out before and put aside. Into squash I added cedar leaf and berries, garlic and red hot pepper seeds. After cooled I added the squash seed and fed everyone. We free range her but I had babies this year penned up for a few months to protect them from spring hawks migration. So since they have not gotten yet up to where our cedars or our pines I went head and made a mix since the pullets are getting close to laying.

So where does a guy like me who lives in Mobile Alabama area send his stole specimens for testing. I have never heard this before from cockers or breeders. They just give them some worming medications in the water or stick a pill down their throat or a shot of water with a one cc of dope in it and its a done deal. I look forward to your reply. Its for a new guy I never wormed my chickens in 25 years. bob
I put some samples in a baggie and my horse vet takes them to the clinic and checks it out for me. I think he charges about $15.00 and he tells me if any what type of worms my chickens have. I would think you could drop some off at most any large animal vet clinic for testing.

Granted I'm a newcomer to chickens, but so far I have never had a sick chicken, nock on wood. Crushed a chick moving a coop, and have lost 2 to hawks, but that would be the price I pay for my managment system. So far it has been more than worth it. If a chicken is anything it is Born To Run.

Thank you for this information. I have a friend whos wife is a vet I might be able to send them to him and see if there is anything in them.

I will tell him about this as well.

Good ideas. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I guess you are treating round and tape worms? bob

Okay...so this may be just a bit off topic so I changed the recipe title...useful for those with 'harvested' culls etc.
wink.png

Enjoy!!!

CHICKEN (HERITAGE LARGE FOWL) & DUMPLINGS CASSEROLE

The secret of this is not to stir anything. That's what makes your dumplings. When you dish it out, you have your dumplings on top.

INGREDIENTS:
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded

2 cups chicken broth

1/2 stick of butter
2 cups Bisquick (or any brand all purpose biscuit/baking box mix)
2 cups milk
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 teaspoons of chicken flavor granules (I use Wylers jarred)
1/2 teaspoon dried sage or poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt (or more to taste)

***can add some corn or peas or both if desired too**
***During the last 5 minutes of baking I've added grated parmesan cheese sometimes too***

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Layer 1 - In 9 x 13 casserole dish, melt 1/2 stick of butter. Spread shredded chicken over butter. Sprinkle black pepper and dried sage over this layer. Do not stir.

Layer 2 - In small bowl, mix milk and Bisquick. Slowly pour all over chicken. Do not stir.

Layer 3 - In medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of chicken broth, chicken granules and soup. Once blended, slowly pour over the Bisquick layer. Do not Stir.

Bake casserole for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown

I won't use chemical wormers on my chickens. I also have a microscope and know how to do my own fecals. I've never seen a worm overload in my birds nor have I seen any live worms during processing but I live in a dry dessert and feed wormwood.

You can use herbal "wormwood" powder: 1 Tablespoon in the feed for 7 days.

OR

You can effectively use acidified copper sulfate temporarily in the water as a wormer for poultry. It's used on other livestock as an effective wormer as well....not just blackhead.
No blood sucking parasite likes the taste of copper in the bloodstream of it's host. Mites, lice, mosquitos etc. You don't have to be a parasite expert.
Directions are on the package...
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/acidified_copper_sulfate.html

Neither options have an egg withdrawal nor meat withdrawal period.

~G

I won't use chemical wormers on my chickens. I also have a microscope and know how to do my own fecals. I've never seen a worm overload in my birds nor have I seen any live worms during processing but I live in a dry dessert and feed wormwood.

You can use herbal "wormwood" powder: 1 Tablespoon in the feed for 7 days.

OR

You can effectively use acidified copper sulfate temporarily in the water as a wormer for poultry. It's used on other livestock as an effective wormer as well....not just blackhead.
No blood sucking parasite likes the taste of copper in the bloodstream of it's host. Mites, lice, mosquitos etc. You don't have to be a parasite expert.
Directions are on the package...
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/acidified_copper_sulfate.html

Neither options have an egg withdrawal nor meat withdrawal period.

~G
hmmmmm....almost makes me wonder if I could take the acidified copper sulfate as a deterrent to mosquitos, especially during deer season! Sprays are smelled by the deer, but the darm mosquitos eat me alive otherwise

Do you know if its safe for humans?

I just made up a batch of dewormer here for our chickens and pigs. 4 butternut squashes cut up and cooked down to mash with skins on. I took seeds out before and put aside. Into squash I added cedar leaf and berries, garlic and red hot pepper seeds. After cooled I added the squash seed and fed everyone. We free range her but I had babies this year penned up for a few months to protect them from spring hawks migration. So since they have not gotten yet up to where our cedars or our pines I went head and made a mix since the pullets are getting close to laying.

You left out the eye of Newt.

I do not buy all of these natural recipes. Never seen a proof that they were effective. It doesn't make any difference to me what compound might be in what. Generally stomach acid is not very friendly to them. Maybe you can isolate the compound and inject it directly into the bloodstream. Who knows. Maybe I am the fool. Heck, dish soap is pretty cheap.

I do not buy all of these natural recipes. Never seen a proof that they were effective. It doesn't make any difference to me what compound might be in what. Generally stomach acid is not very friendly to them. Maybe you can isolate the compound and inject it directly into the bloodstream. Who knows. Maybe I am the fool. Heck, dish soap is pretty cheap.
Everyone has their own method of worming I guess

I use Ivomectin "pour on".....2 drops from a plastic syringe directly on the skin. One drop at the base of the neck and one drop along the back OR under a wing (if you get a cooperative bird)

I do this twice annually.....once prior to breeding season and once early-mid summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom