Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/wazine.html
8oz Wazine Wormer

This what I see sold in the local feed stores.
WormGuard Plus with Flax Seed - 2 lb pkg
Holistic Health Care examines the impact that disposition and environment have on your animals overall health. It differs from conventional care because it doesn't just treat symptoms but rather seeks the underlying causes of an illness. The main wormer in WormGaurd is a more concentrated form of FDA approved Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth which consists of tiny phytoplankton's mainly composed of amorphous hydrated silicates, of less that 1%. This is packaged especially for poultry (with whole flax-does not need refrigeration). WormGuard Plus is safe for use in all poultry of all ages.

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

good article on round and tape worms.
One drug that is effective for eliminating gapeworms is fenbendazole
Tapeworm infections can be controlled by regular treatment of the bird with fenbendazole or leviamisole

Prevention of the disease involves efforts to prevent the birds from ingesting the secondary hosts in the first place. But it is, of course, impossibly difficult to stop the birds from coming into contact with every insect that might be carrying the worm larvae. But certainly improved biosecurity and hygiene can very much improve the chances of avoiding an infestation in a flock. Anthelmintics are drugs that can be used to expel infesting worms. But drug treatment for tapeworms is of questionable efficacy. However, one possibility is the use of fenbendazole, which is a broad-spectrum benzimidazole anthelmintic. Another possibility is levamisole, which is an antibiotic

some stuff I found .

Last edited:
Ivermectin is really a poor wormer, I've used it and that's why I think this. But if it works for you, then that's good! I too dont' hold much stock with "natural" wormers. Thing is, without a fecal test you don't know if they have worms or not unless they are so horribly overloaded with worms that you are seeing it in the feces. Once it gets to that point, it's a really bad infestation. They aren't like horses and other large animals where you generally know they're wormy because you see worms.

Everyone has their own method of worming I guess

I use Ivomectin "pour on".....2 drops from a plastic syringe directly on the skin. One drop at the base of the neck and one drop along the back OR under a wing (if you get a cooperative bird)

I do this twice annually.....once prior to breeding season and once early-mid summer
is there an egg withdrawal time on the Ivomectin? I've seen it at TSC but didn't stop and read the label; it was with the cow stuff, not with the chicken stuff. I sell eggs so really don't want to have to do a withdraw at least until after Oct 5 when my farmer's market closes. The only worms I know we've had were the tape worms because of course I saw them in the manure. After reading and checking around some I got some fenbendazole paste they sell for horses and used that. That was last summer. So far I have not seen anyone with such a heavy load of worms that they were visible in the manure, but am thinking I should probably worm a little while before my market opens and again after it closes

There is no withdrawl time for Ivermectin but I tell my egg customers about it anyway and give them the choice. Some are very "organic" minded and I think they should be given the choice to refuse them just after a treatment even if it is considered harmless. Ivermectin is used in Africa to kill worms in humans by the way.

There is no withdrawl time for Ivermectin but I tell my egg customers about it anyway and give them the choice. Some are very "organic" minded and I think they should be given the choice to refuse them just after a treatment even if it is considered harmless. Ivermectin is used in Africa to kill worms in humans by the way.

Thank you for the info.

Ivermectin is really a poor wormer, I've used it and that's why I think this. But if it works for you, then that's good! I too dont' hold much stock with "natural" wormers. Thing is, without a fecal test you don't know if they have worms or not unless they are so horribly overloaded with worms that you are seeing it in the feces. Once it gets to that point, it's a really bad infestation. They aren't like horses and other large animals where you generally know they're wormy because you see worms.
I occasionally use Wazine as a secondary wormer, but my birds primarily free range and are only cooped at night....in 8+ yrs I have not seen a "visible" worm

Bob Blosl did it again!
I have Buff Brahma large fowl ordered and he was extremely helpful in giving me names to call and or write. I hope I can help preserve the breed.
Now to order my copy of the SOP

I appreciate Bob's help !!!!

sincerely,
John

Thank you for the info.
also check out cydectin pour on (moxidectin, quest wormer for horses) and prohibit (levamisole), both off label use for poultry in U.S. (levamisole is labelled for poultry in Australia and says no egg withdrawal or problems for hatching eggs on the label). Assumed no withdrawal time for either as there is no milk/slaughter withdrawal time for cattle listed on the label. Cydectin is also supposed to kill mites/lice. I have not used either of these but have found this info. in my research to what to use if I ever need..............

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/wazine.html
8oz Wazine Wormer

This what I see sold in the local feed stores.
WormGuard Plus with Flax Seed - 2 lb pkg
Holistic Health Care examines the impact that disposition and environment have on your animals overall health. It differs from conventional care because it doesn't just treat symptoms but rather seeks the underlying causes of an illness. The main wormer in WormGaurd is a more concentrated form of FDA approved Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth which consists of tiny phytoplankton's mainly composed of amorphous hydrated silicates, of less that 1%. This is packaged especially for poultry (with whole flax-does not need refrigeration). WormGuard Plus is safe for use in all poultry of all ages.

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

-

some stuff I found .
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is not effective as a wormer per Julie Gauthier , DVM - she is the author of " Chicken Health for Dummies" with your own Rob Ludlow founder of BYC - It however is good for the lice,mites etc.- doesn't suggest regular routine deworming- some may even boost immune system- when you do use Albendazole , Fenbendazole , Ivermectin , or Piperazine as directed by DVM depending on pest
At least thats what it says .

Last edited:
Bob Blosl did it again!
I have Buff Brahma large fowl ordered and he was extremely helpful in giving me names to call and or write. I hope I can help preserve the breed.
Now to order my copy of the SOP

I appreciate Bob's help !!!!

sincerely,
John
John I am glad I could help. Look forward to helping you breed them up. I hope you can meet Mark Peterson sit down with him buy him dinner and pump his brains out on this color pattern.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom