Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yard full o' Rocks I found some information that may be of use for you.

This is in regard the hackle feathers in the cock bird (Columbian). It is from my 1919 APA Wyandotte Standard and Breed Book.

It says, " The females picked to produce strong black stripes in males are those with sound stripes and dark under-color in neck plumage. A light hackle may be improved in two ways: (a) by breeding a male with very black hackle (b) by employing females with hackles that are laced well up toward their heads, even though they possess an excess of black, which shows on the surface of their backs in black ticks and spots. A white under color in the back is rarely found in combination with the right quality of black in the neck, wings and tail."

Thanks, Melissa

Last edited:
Bob is always telling folks to go slow, start small and shoot for right down the middle. He also repeats that if you start out with outstanding stock, there is so much less work and the need to hatch out huge numbers isn't required. Much of that advice is noteworthy and worth holding onto, especially for those just starting out.

If you have to stay small, and let's define "small" as hatching out less than 30 chicks per year, then perhaps, just perhaps it is going to take bit longer to achieve your goals if you are working with birds that are far less than ideal. Alright. So be it.

(snipped)
Great post, Fred! I only hatched out 21 this year from this inbreeding of my trio. Got some surprises and some expectations fulfilled. Of my 2 hens, March threw most of the surprises and her 1/2 sister May ( my avatar) turned out to be the rock star in the nesting box. March is currently broody, silly girl, wrong time of the year. I keep stealing her egg every day, smile.
My best are going to another breeder so for me this year is a wash for keepers for me. That's ok. I will keep some of the non-breeders for an egg flock. Then next year start again with more inbreeding and an exciting outcross (which Walt. B. has approved). And no, you don't see pics of my birds because I learned the hard way in the dog world never to share pics of my intermediate generations.

Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Quote: Yup.
big_smile.png

Good Morning,

Is there a list of LF Heritage Breeds? if there is one, would you please post it? Also, could you possibly indicate the rarity of the breeds as well? Or I should say; the breeds who are in most need of recovery?

Thank you,

Lual

Good Morning,

Is there a list of LF Heritage Breeds? if there is one, would you please post it? Also, could you possibly indicate the rarity of the breeds as well? Or I should say; the breeds who are in most need of recovery?

Thank you,

Lual

The ALBC, the American Livestock and Breed Conservatory is probably as good a place to find such information as any. It is entirely up to you to judge the veracity of their statistics and to understand their point of view.

http://www.albc-usa.org/heritagechicken/

Last edited:
Here are some photos of 2013 Ancona pullets. The older birds in runs are the F2 of a project mating. They're color is weaker than the "pure" Ancona group, but they have some nice infused size. The younger pullets on range are non-project birds and have stronger markings. They're type is also fairly strong. Unfortunately, as with the Dorking photos, we had just thrown wheat, which killed them for poses. The Anconas are so tame that I could hoot and holler until the cows come home, but if there's wheat on the ground, it's a bit, "Yah, whatever farmer-man." I does give a great view of their fluff....
hide.gif
. I guess it shows them being industrious, which I guess is what Anconas do best.

Lovely birds...
love rose combs...
The Ancona's color pattern is very striking....especially when viewed with a few of those gorgeous, snow white Dorkings 'sprinkled' in. I have really enjoyed your photos! One of my favorites (from awhile ago is the one where all your Dorking males are roosting...what a sight to behold each evening!

Cindy

Good Morning,

In addition to the ALBC, the SPPA is one of the best places for information on historic poultry breeds:

http://sppa.webs.com/

Here is my two cents:
I only know of 2 - 3 other folks here on BYC breeding Columbian Wyandotte. I have seen only one other breeder at the Show in Shawnee Oklahoma two years ago.
We could use some more folks interested in breeding and improving the breed. They have a rosecomb, lay 3 - 5 eggs a week and dress out as a nice meat bird at 4 - 4.5 lbs. The make good brooders and great mothers. Pleasant disposition and love to forage.

Young birds from this year's breeding pens

2 cockerels and various pullets

And the breeding parents. Started with a rooster and 4 hens three years ago..... Rooster with hen 1, then hen 2 and hen 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom