Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that the rubber dishes are overly expensive, but they're made out of what appears to be tire cord.

Handy in the winter, but I don't bother with them in the summer. A simple re-purposed ice cream bucket works better. We must have a dozen, assorted small plastic pails collected over the years. These also work great when set in a heated dog dish in the winter. Just swap them out, dirty for clean, empty for full.

Once those fortex pans get a little age on them, mine don't mind water or whatever out of them at all. But at first, they do keep away from them. I guess they do smell at first a make whatever is in them a little "off." But later, even with a green slime coating they just drink away. yuk. Yeah they do need scrubbing especially if the sun hits them. Sunlight makes that green stuff grow so much better.

I use them Fortex tubs also and really like them. It seem that if I use them in the summer for water the birds do not like the water from them. They act like it tastes bad. Anybody else notice that?

Not here. I always keep fresh water in the "proper" watering buckets, but when it's hot enough to have wading pools, the chickens will drink out of the wading pools first, and only go to the real water drinking buckets if the wading pools are empty. I have also been surprised at how cool the tubs keep the water even when it's over 100*.

Once those fortex pans get a little age on them, mine don't mind water or whatever out of them at all. But at first, they do keep away from them. I guess they do smell at first a make whatever is in them a little "off." But later, even with a green slime coating they just drink away. yuk. Yeah they do need scrubbing especially if the sun hits them. Sunlight makes that green stuff grow so much better.
I haven't had a problem with slime in ours. I use apple cider vinegar in the water and that has helped to control slime no matter the type of container the water is in.

Quote:

I use these Fortex rubber pans too. It's easy to kick out the ice in the winter. In the summer those rubber pans make great chicken wading pools. Haven't had one tip over or break yet. Been using them for a couple of years now.

Sarah
I also use Fortex, been using the same ones for about six years. They last a LONG time! Since Chickens don;t drink as much water in the winter in my area, I have three small ones, and they work for me. I check their water twice a day, morning and night. I have them in different areas of the chicken yard, and if they freeze they are easy to turn over, and pop the ice out. Some mornings the ice is solid, I usually step on them, and it loosens enought to be able to pop the ice out. I use the metal waterers too, but in winter Fortex is the way to go in my area!

Not that the rubber dishes are overly expensive, but they're made out of what appears to be tire cord.

Handy in the winter, but I don't bother with them in the summer. A simple re-purposed ice cream bucket works better. We must have a dozen, assorted small plastic pails collected over the years. These also work great when set in a heated dog dish in the winter. Just swap them out, dirty for clean, empty for full.
Which kind of heated dog bucket are you using? You don't find they melt in the heat?
I considered this but worried the buckets couldn't handle the heat.
Thanks
Karen

Two Christmas' ago, I bought the parts for the home made chicken water heater. I put the parts (cookie tin, lamp kit, insulation, tube of silicone, 25w bulb) and the instructions on how to make it in a bag and told my husband to give it to the boys and to oversee the construction. Then they could give it to me for Christmas. They did a great job and it works great. Here in the south, I don't use it much, but this year, I will use a thermocube and forget it!

Last edited:
I have a 40 year old Fortex pan. How's that for longevity ? The fibers are all over the surface now so I use it to elevate a waterer in my brooder. The black pans will grow crud, if in the sun in the summer, but heat up the water in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom