Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building new breeding pens and would like some opinions...

What is the minimum breeding pen size per pair/trio? (lg breed fowl)
I have seen Chris's breeding pens (beautiful btw), and each pen is 6x4 I believe.
Will 4x4 work? 6x3?
I don't want to crowd them, but would rather not go bigger than necessary.

Thanks for feedback...

Sheri

Mine are NO WHERE as nice as Chris's....but here is a pix before it was painted

It is a 4ft wide x 6ft long "run area" attached to a 4ft wide x 2ft long "coop" with roost. Works well for breeding pairs (I haven't tried trios, but I think it would be ok if you are rotating the cockerel/cockbird out of the pen). I also use it as a broody pen after hatching season.

these are 6X3 and trios work well in them. 4 chickens is too crowded. 4X4 hoop house work good for pairs. i like to move them daily to fresh grass and they stay fairly safe from predators.

I'm building new breeding pens and would like some opinions...

What is the minimum breeding pen size per pair/trio? (lg breed fowl)
I have seen Chris's breeding pens (beautiful btw), and each pen is 6x4 I believe.
Will 4x4 work? 6x3?
I don't want to crowd them, but would rather not go bigger than necessary.

Thanks for feedback...
I use the standard ratios of 4 sq. ft. inside and 10 sq. ft. outside for each large fowl bird. ( 1/2 all measurements or bantams) They have served us well and we don't have issues with feather picking. Plus, no stress markers I can find if the birds need to be cooped 24/7 during foul weather, even for weeks at a time in the winter. A 3x4 coop works well for a trio and gives the cock enough room to turn around without ratting his tail feathers. I think for a pair I would use 3x3 for the same reason. With a nest box attached to the side to make it easier for me to check it. If one orients the coop so the 4 ft. side is mated to the yard, that's an easier math to work with when cutting wood and wire. Plus the yard doesn't need to be as long. A 7 or 8 ft. attached yard will suffice for a trio. I also make my yard sides vertical, not a tepee, for the sake of the cock's tail feathers.
For a breeding pen that is only going to be used during warm weather, I count the sq. footage of the coop in when calculating the 10 sq. ft. per bird in the yard. But not if I am making a coop/yard where birds will be kept enclosed for days or weeks at a time.
Best,
Karen

Can some of you experienced breeders put picks up for us newbies!!! Were just putting up our coop and i will have 5 barnies and 3 buckeyes one seabright and 3 buff brahmas
I am breeding each trio seperately!!! So ideally i would need 3 pens

Can some of you experienced breeders put picks up for us newbies!!! Were just putting up our coop and i will have 5 barnies and 3 buckeyes one seabright and 3 buff brahmas
I am breeding each trio seperately!!! So ideally i would need 3 pens

Ditto, I would love to see photos of other breeders set up.

Here a photo of my breeding pens. Initially the coops were built to be mobile but got too heavy so if you are looking for fixed position coops these work well.

They coops are 4 X 8 divided into 2 so each interior space is 4X4 with and attached nest box. . The 4X 8 works well economically since it is the size of a sheet of plywood. I used new plywood for the floor and dismantled old garage doors for the sides. Any garage door company would love to give you doors. Mine were even delivered for free since the company would rather give them away than pay to dump them.

The runs are 8' X 16' X 8'. They are way too tall. I should have gone 6'. I buy the stucco wire instead of poultry wire cuz it is sooo much cheaper. Yes it is galvanized. A 150' X 3' roll cost $50 at Home Depot for the light weight stuff and $65 for the heavy weight. I prefer the heavy weight. If you have weasels you may want to use hardware cloth as weasels can fit through the holes of the heavy weight stuff. The 6' height would have saved me a strain of wire.

The runs are currently covered in shade cloth. I am planning on replacing the shade cloth and installing a corrugated metal roof when the budget allows. The shade cloth was a mistake. It cost $500 and only lasted a year before starting to tear. I doubt it will last through the winter.

For those of you looking for mobile coops, you could easily make cut these in half and have smaller runs.

Edited to add: a customer is planning to use this design but she is going to put the doors side by side so she can use 1 automatic door for both coops. Brilliant. Wish I thought of that.

Last edited:
Ditto, I would love to see photos of other breeders set up.

Here a photo of my breeding pens. Initially the coops were built to be mobile but got too heavy so if you are looking for fixed position coops these work well.

They coops are 4 X 8 divided into 2 so each interior space is 4X4 with and attached nest box. . The 4X 8 works well economically since it is the size of a sheet of plywood. I used new plywood for the floor and dismantled old garage doors for the sides. Any garage door company would love to give you doors. Mine were even delivered for free since the company would rather give them away than pay to dump them.

The runs are 8' X 16' X 8'. They are way too tall. I should have gone 6'. I buy the stucco wire instead of poultry wire cuz it is sooo much cheaper. Yes it is galvanized. A 150' X 3' roll cost $50 at Home Depot for the light weight stuff and $65 for the heavy weight. I prefer the heavy weight. If you have weasels you may want to use hardware cloth as weasels can fit through the holes of the heavy weight stuff. The 6' height would have saved me a strain of wire.

The runs are currently covered in shade cloth. I am planning on replacing the shade cloth and installing a corrugated metal roof when the budget allows. The shade cloth was a mistake. It cost $500 and only lasted a year before starting to tear. I doubt it will last through the winter.

For those of you looking for mobile coops, you could easily make cut these in half and have smaller runs.

Your set up must work well--The hatching eggs I got from your hatched very nicely!

Your set up must work well--The hatching eggs I got from your hatched very nicely!

Hi Ron. glad you had a good hatch.

Yeah the birds like em. I discontinued raising Swedes but kept two of my favorites which now live in the adjacent layer field which is a 1/2 acre. You would think the hens would be happy out there but after a month of being moved they still hover near the gate to their old pen wanting back in. I guess that says something.

Conditioning cages for bantams. (above)

4'x4' male cages (pic above)

16X8' growing pen with conditioning cages on walls

16X8'

row of 8'X8'X4 pens

Large conditioning barn

Inside of gray barn showing the 4X8X8 cages

All of these can be opened up to free range within fenced area's.

Walt

I like the barn I have been studying on how to do my roof like that when I re-roof it one of these days It would serve well here and to draft the barn better and add extra lighting. good design I like it everytime you post it on here.

Jeff

Conditioning cages for bantams. (above)

4'x4' male cages (pic above)

16X8' growing pen with conditioning cages on walls

16X8'

row of 8'X8'X4 pens

Large conditioning barn

Inside of gray barn showing the 4X8X8 cages

All of these can be opened up to free range within fenced area's.

Walt

Officially jealous. What a fantastic set up. I love the locks. Great way to save $. I cannot believe how expensive hardware gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom