Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYReds - I guess I'll ask you the same question that the late Alex Duffy asked me after I rattled off a list of seven breeds & varieties: What will you call your string?
thumbsup.gif

I'm in your same boat, without an oar or rudder....

Buff Leghorn Bantams
BBR Cubalaya LF
Dominique LF (several courtesy of you..)
Old English Game LF in 3 varieties
Silver Spangled Hamburg LF
White Cornish LF
Leghorn LF in White, Dark Brown and Buff
Golden Campine LF (again, enabled through you)
A trio lf WFB Spanish LF
RC Ancona LF
Red Naked Neck Bantams

Yes, intervention might be needed...

Sam

If I were to name my string I guess I'd have to call it "Chicken A.D.D.".
I was down to SC Red large fowl, Brown Red Old English large fowl & Golden Campine large fowl.
This year I added the following:
Brown Red OEGB
Black Modern Game Bantams
Black Rosecombs
Partridge Wyandotte Bantams
Blue Andalusians
Blue Golden Duckwing Old English large fowl
oh and
Cayuga Ducks-almost forgot them.

What happened to the Malays Sam? The guy I sold that flock to is doing well with them. Saw him & them 4 times on Champion Row this year. That's another thing I keep doing. Spending a few years improving a line & then handing them off to someone else.

NYReds - I guess I'll ask you the same question that the late Alex Duffy asked me after I rattled off a list of seven breeds & varieties: What will you call your string?
thumbsup.gif

I'm in your same boat, without an oar or rudder....

Buff Leghorn Bantams
BBR Cubalaya LF
Dominique LF (several courtesy of you..)
Old English Game LF in 3 varieties
Silver Spangled Hamburg LF
White Cornish LF
Leghorn LF in White, Dark Brown and Buff
Golden Campine LF (again, enabled through you)
A trio lf WFB Spanish LF
RC Ancona LF
Red Naked Neck Bantams

Yes, intervention might be needed...

Sam

We have a thread to help.... well not much.... Incubators Anonymous

If I were to name my string I guess I'd have to call it "Chicken A.D.D.".
I was down to SC Red large fowl, Brown Red Old English large fowl & Golden Campine large fowl.
This year I added the following:
Brown Red OEGB
Black Modern Game Bantams
Black Rosecombs
Partridge Wyandotte Bantams
Blue Andalusians
Blue Golden Duckwing Old English large fowl
oh and
Cayuga Ducks-almost forgot them.

What happened to the Malays Sam? The guy I sold that flock to is doing well with them. Saw him & them 4 times on Champion Row this year. That's another thing I keep doing. Spending a few years improving a line & then handing them off to someone else.

Anytime you feel like sharing some pictures, I would love to see them! Do you have a lot of each?

The white rocks are Jeremy Woeppel's birds. I don't think he his home yet (computer access). His Barred Rocks did well, also. This laptop isn't letting me upload any more pictures - darn it.
Thanks for the message. Jeremy had some pretty birds a few weeks ago. The male came from the East Coast but did the females come from Derick in South Dakota??

Also what show was you clerking and attending?

He is a very nice male and I like his top line it looks like a Rock as many have a Wyandotte slope to them and are short in body.

Are you going to cross these onto your Delawares and come up with a new Breed?

Thanks for the pictures it is nice to see good stock shown on this Tread.

Sam thanks for coming on board. We have made it for over two years and still plugging away.

bob

Quote: YAY - long trip, but I am home from Iowa and Nebraska now!

I was at the Nebraska State Poultry Show in Lincoln. I wasn't really clerking. I was just "bothering." Butch was kind enough to tolerate me and explain the things he was looking for. It was GREAT! What a nice guy!

I don't remember where Jeremy got his White Rocks. I think he had 2 different strains when he started working with them. Now, he has his own strain.

Ohhhh, yes - another new breed! Just what we need - right?
gig.gif

Heck no! I'm gonna have me some nice White Rocks! I am really liking these old breeds - Plymouth Rocks, New Hampshires, and New Hampshires. (And don't even try to get me to tell you about a couple side projects that I am working on with some great friends I have!
cool.png
Nope - I won't tell ya.)

Last edited:
Yeah, the ON is not a place for kids. For more than about 20 minutes. I took my son last year and two hours was just enough for me to get a taste and him to be bored to tears. And he was 12. Can't imagine little ones wanting to hang around that long.

For egg layers I'd recommend Golden comets, Golden buff, Red sex-link, or whatever it is that they sell near you. If you're in Ohio near a TSC, they usually get Golden comets from Mt. Healthy hatchery. They are reliable layers and my GC lays the biggest eggs of the flock. (Had six chicks to start with until the neighbor's dog came over and got them, half my Barred rocks and Buckeyes and all my turkeys. No 4-H this year.) They're calm chickens, don't cause any problems and look nice in the yard. If all I wanted to do was raise eggs, I'd probably have mostly Golden comets or Golden buffs from Meyer up in Polk, OH.

If you want Heritage birds that lay slightly smaller eggs, but just as dependable, I'd say go with a good line of Barred rocks or Buckeyes. Mine have been laying like clockwork since they started a couple months ago. Between the 4 laying Buckeyes, 2 BRs and the GC, I've been getting 7 eggs a day. This is my first year with chickens. We'd been raising market turkeys the last few years, so it's a little different having birds I have to winter over. If you want to read up on the Buckeye breed, the American Buckeye Club has a blog up here: http://americanbuckeyeclub.blogspot.com/ They also have a Breeder Directory so you can see if there is anyone near you raising Buckeyes.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll definitely check out the Buckeye blog!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom