Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Cedavid.

Hope you can make the ON. I went last year before I got chickens and it really was an eye opener. What Karen said - Finish your coop, load a couple pet carries or big plastic totes lined with shavings and bring a wad of cash. You'll have your coop stocked in no time. WARNING: Only bring as much money as you intend to spend. If you bring more, you'll spend it too. LOL.

Another important point - the earlier you get there, the better chance you'll have of getting what you want. There will be a bazillion people selling chickens off the backs of pickups, vans, and trucks, so get ready to be amazed by all the choices. That's why it's important to decide on a breed before you get there. Otherwise, you'll want "one of everything."

I'm hoping to make it next week. Look for the guy in the red American Buckeye Club t-shirt and the fedora and that's me.
that is totally true!

Hey, Cedavid.

Hope you can make the ON. I went last year before I got chickens and it really was an eye opener. What Karen said - Finish your coop, load a couple pet carries or big plastic totes lined with shavings and bring a wad of cash. You'll have your coop stocked in no time. WARNING: Only bring as much money as you intend to spend. If you bring more, you'll spend it too. LOL.

Another important point - the earlier you get there, the better chance you'll have of getting what you want. There will be a bazillion people selling chickens off the backs of pickups, vans, and trucks, so get ready to be amazed by all the choices. That's why it's important to decide on a breed before you get there. Otherwise, you'll want "one of everything."

I'm hoping to make it next week. Look for the guy in the red American Buckeye Club t-shirt and the fedora and that's me.
There, see, Cedavid? Not even there yet and already got Marengoite to meet! Chicken people are so helpful and friendly!
Am so looking forwar to all the post show reports
Have fun!
Karen

I was looking at my pictures today for a breed and saw this guy. This is a great picture of a White Face Black Spanish. I may have to stand corrected on your males tail. Look at the angle it comes straight up and so does his. At least you have a picture of a male to study and compair your male to. Print it out to a five by seven on your printer and take it out side and compair it to your bird. Great breed and I hope you get more like him. bob

Thanks for the info. When you measure for the 45 degree angle, you are measuring the angle of the top sickle from a horizontal line, not from the angle of the back, correct?

I was looking at my pictures today for a breed and saw this guy. This is a great picture of a White Face Black Spanish. I may have to stand corrected on your males tail. Look at the angle it comes straight up and so does his. At least you have a picture of a male to study and compair your male to. Print it out to a five by seven on your printer and take it out side and compair it to your bird. Great breed and I hope you get more like him. bob

Thanks for the info. When you measure for the 45 degree angle, you are measuring the angle of the top sickle from a horizontal line, not from the angle of the back, correct?
Also, he has 6 points on his comb instead of 5. How serious is this? Not a DQ, just a point deduction? He really is a good natured mellow guy. Thanks so much.

I got to watch Butch judge today. I asked if he would mind and he agreed to let me tag along and he explained (judging Plymouth Rocks).

White Rock won Champion American.

PS.... I brought home some white rocks.
celebrate.gif

I got to watch Butch judge today. I asked if he would mind and he agreed to let me tag along and he explained (judging Plymouth Rocks).

celebrate.gif

White Rocks now? You need an intervention or at least to stay away from Traders Row. I wish there was someone to keep me from going there. I have the same problem you do-I like them all & keep bringing home something new.

Quote:
This was all arranged ahead of time. I was just waiting for the show, to go pick them up.

Hey, I'm doing pretty well..... I joined that club you recommended ..... the12 step program. Nice little group we have.
I have reduced to just a few breeds.... Plymouth Rocks, New Hampshires, and Delawares. That's all !
The few other birds I have are purely ornamental (colored eggs, etc).... no plans to work on them.

It is the angle from the back to the beginning of the tail. The angle of the tail in that illustration is more like 60-70 degrees.

Walt

celebrate.gif

Is the owner of the Champ requesting anonymity or is he holding out to see what is said first, do tell please? I figure I got a good idea who these ones belong to and figure your stock you brought home is very closely related to them too,LOL am I in the ball park here LOL I recognize them guys and I'm not even an expert (yet) LOL

ETA as a matter of fact I have that bird on the left picture up as a screen saver had it there since Friday as I took off the Halloween one and I was looking thru some pics I saw that white bird and said that is a good one for a model to stare at for a while and I too figured it was good Karma for him as I thought he might do very well at the show this weekend (intuition?) maybe or just knowing so? LOL

Jeff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom