Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
December 8th 2012
Panhandle Poultry Club Winter Show
APA/ABA Double Show
&
Junior APA/ABA Double Show
At the Pensacola Interstate Fairgrounds (MAP)
6655 W. Mobile Hwy
Pensacola, FL 32526

Also STATE MEETS
for the following clubs:
NEW HAMPSHIRE BREEDERS CLUB OF AMERICA
UNITED ORPINGTON CLUB
PLYMOUTH ROCK FANCIERS CLUB OF AMERICA
RHODE ISLAND RED CLUB OF AMERICA
WYANDOTTE BREEDERS OF AMERICA
And SPECIAL MEETS
for the following clubs:
AMERICAN SILKIE BANTAM CLUB
COCHINS INTERNATIONAL CLUB

OLD ENGLISH GAME BANTAM CLUB OF AMERICA
(List will update as we confirm more clubs.)
REGISTRATION DEADLINE NOVEMBER 28TH!

Judges for Open Show
Arthur Rieber
Steve Jones
Tim Bowles
Eric Englesman
Judge for Junior Show
Marty McGuire
~AWARDS~

Grand Champion $75

Reserve Champion $50
Champion Bantam $30

Champion LF $30
Reserve Bantam $20

Reserve LF $20
Champion Waterfowl $25

Reserve Waterfowl $10
Champion Turkey $25

Reserve Turkey $10
JR Grand Champion $20

JR Reserve Champion $10

$10 for each Class Champion Bantam and LF with ten or more entries in the class.

Champion Display and Champion Trio
will receive a plaque.

For more SHOW INFORMATION Call
James Blum at 850-232-0729
or Matt Ulrich at 251-942-8555

For Registration information please go HERE.
The following hotels will have a discounted rate for the winter show attendees:

Red Roof Inn Pensacola West
2591 Wilde Lake Boulevard
Pensacola, FL 32526
850-941-0908
$49.95 for single room
$59.95 for double room

Best Western Plus Blue Angel Inn
2390 W. Detroit Boulevard
Pensacola, FL 32534
850-477-7474
$69.95 and includes a free hot breakfast.

We look forward to seeing you there! Please feel free to share this info to all of your poultry friends.

We just had our meeting last night and up the prize money equal to any show in the South East. We will have a winter show second to none for this region and all ready have people wanting to drive down to show with us from up to 600 miles away. The judges are fantastic as well and I can't wait to have one judge look over my Bantam Buff Brahmas to help me pick my breeders for next year. Enclosed is the web site address please come if you can. If you can't show just come to see all the top large fowl and bantams in the South. Make it a vacation as the kids will love to see our White Beaches. Birds also, will be for sale in the building for you to take home.

Bob Blosl Vice President

oooooh, wish I could go!
hit.gif
I would love to go to some of those East Coast shows, they look amazing!

I'm hoping this is an approved topic, but I have a question. What would you guys do if you wanted to start a breed club? I have started a chat group on yahoo that no one talks on anymore, that is about it. I really have no clue what to do,
idunno.gif
and Campines need a club to support the breed if they are going to rise in popularity. Any advice would be appreciated.

The white rocks are Jeremy Woeppel's birds. I don't think he his home yet (computer access). His Barred Rocks did well, also. This laptop isn't letting me upload any more pictures - darn it.

The male on the left was Champion Large Fowl also

WELL alrighty then and double congratulations then ol boy,
clap.gif
you'd think more folks on here would show a bit more elation to a fellow BYCer or showman huh?
hmm.png

Jeff

Y'know, I must have been a bit brain-dead, maybe worse than right now. But I didn't put all this together. Thanks for pointing it out Jeff!

Jeremy... excellent looking birds! Congratulations on your wins! Those white rocks have always held a pretty big wow factor for me! Love to see them!

NYReds - I guess I'll ask you the same question that the late Alex Duffy asked me after I rattled off a list of seven breeds & varieties: What will you call your string?
thumbsup.gif

I'm in your same boat, without an oar or rudder....

Buff Leghorn Bantams
BBR Cubalaya LF
Dominique LF (several courtesy of you..)
Old English Game LF in 3 varieties
Silver Spangled Hamburg LF
White Cornish LF
Leghorn LF in White, Dark Brown and Buff
Golden Campine LF (again, enabled through you)
A trio lf WFB Spanish LF
RC Ancona LF
Red Naked Neck Bantams

Yes, intervention might be needed...

Sam

Sam!

You are the first person I've found that has an interest in SSH LF. Everyone I run into is into bantams. My son wanted to show Fancy Poultry at the county fair this year and I let him pic the breed. He wanted SSHs and so I ordered a dozen from Meyer since I could not find a single breeder online that had any birds available when I was buying. I went to the ON last year to try and find someone who bred them, but wasn't successful in hooking up with the only exhibitor of SSH LF that appeared to be present.

Is there any chance that you'll be selling chicks next spring? I've really fallen in love with these little guys. They are sharp looking, energetic, and the most independent foragers of any chickens I have. I thought they'd be delicate little wallflowers based on their size and fine appearance, but they have proven to be some of my toughest chickens. Only lost two to our dog and that was when they were little. We have a golden retriever who is normally pretty harmless, actually serves as LGD, but just didn't know how to manager her bulk around little chicks and stepped on a couple playing with them. Fatally, it turns out. But of the 10 I have left, 4 are pullets and one of those is SC.

I don't necessarily want to breed show stock, but at the same time I don't want to raise unfit chicks or worsen the breed. What should I be looking for and what should I cull ruthlessly? I would like to keep one roo over the winter, but am not familiar enough with these guys to know what's a DQ trait that puts them in the pot and what are minor faults that are just hard work to get rid of or watch for. Is there any advice you can offer a novice Hamburg keeper?

oooooh, wish I could go!
hit.gif
I would love to go to some of those East Coast shows, they look amazing!

I'm hoping this is an approved topic, but I have a question. What would you guys do if you wanted to start a breed club? I have started a chat group on yahoo that no one talks on anymore, that is about it. I really have no clue what to do,
idunno.gif
and Campines need a club to support the breed if they are going to rise in popularity. Any advice would be appreciated.

The American Buckeye Club Facebook page is really hopping. You might try using Facebook to start a group for your breed club.

rick

Melody -

I'm thinking about it, although they are all still pretty young. Might have a Dominique pullet or two old enough to try. Do you have need of any cockerels? I'll have 4-5 spares I could bring for you and/or others.
Sam

Last edited:
Hi Bill - not to worry over the Malay bantams... I opted to pass them along to a poultry judge acquaintence with more room (well, ANYBODY would have more room than I have at this point)....

Anyway, he raised quite a raft of them, and we should be seeing a couple here and there at the shows.

Sam

Ok all you long-timers in the hobby....

I have a question regarding tails on my male birds. I have a Columbian Rock cockerel that was hatched "early to mid-March" 2012 (blue band). He's a great improvement over my 2011 cock bird...much better chest, excellent color, good overall width and super length to his back. Only "major" fault was that his tail had relatively little lift, more like a Red than a Rock.

I had planned to keep him and just breed him with 2 pullets who had slightly higher than standard tails, hoping to get a few with his overall build, but better tails.

Now, I've been traveling a quite a bit the past 2 weeks with work and haven't seen the birds much. I was out trying to divide up birds Sunday into breeding pens and WOW, suddenly this guy is a getting a great tail....and oddly the one I had selected as my main cockbird (#26), has developed a tail that's TOO high. This actually makes me extremely happy as the one with a blue band is a much looking bird overall.

My question to all you experts is this...do Rocks take 8-10 months (or more) to develop their tail? I could have made a serious mistake and culled this one, only to be kicking myself later!! If this is the case, then I need to hang on to more males for a longer period going into next year.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom