Bob white quail thread!!

I am new to quail of any kind. I received 39 free Bobwhite eggs with my incubator (bought for hatching chicken/duck/guinea eggs) I didn't really want them but they were free so I figured "What the heck" and put them in the incubator. About 15 candled clear early on. 15 hatched last night...1 more zipping right now and about 7 have done nothing yet. I have gleaned enough info to know they need game starter to begin with, plenty of space when young and eat and drink a lot. I am waffling between selling them and raising these for meat. If I decide to sell them, what is a reasonable price to ask? Are they good for meat? How long until they are processing size? What whould they weigh at processing time?

OH MY GOSH! I was laughing so much a bit ago. My day consists of finding BIG peafowl (peacock) eggs. I walked in the aviary holding the 9 White Bobwhite quail I was thinking must be all males. I found my first ever quail egg, LOL!!! What a delight. I guess I have at least 1 female, haha! It's probably fertile and had no intentions of hatching any but now it's tempting. I'll see if anymore can be found in the next week. I sure don't want 1 chick to be momma to.

I am new to quail of any kind.  I received 39 free Bobwhite eggs with my incubator (bought for hatching chicken/duck/guinea eggs)  I didn't really want them but they were free so I figured "What the heck" and put them in the incubator.   About 15 candled clear early on.  15 hatched last night...1 more zipping right now and about 7 have done nothing yet.  I have gleaned enough info to know they need game starter to begin with, plenty of space when young and eat and drink a lot.    I am waffling between selling them and raising these for meat.  If I decide to sell them, what is a reasonable price to ask?  Are they good for meat?  How long until they are processing size?  What  whould they weigh at processing time? 

I don't have answers to your questions. New at it myself but you will need to grind the gamebird crumbles (get at lease 20% protein). I use my blender.

I'm one that could never eat my birds so will eat the quail eggs and let my precious little quail die of old age.

Here are some of my bobwhites, I have white, snowflake and Northern Love the pictures. It would be great having more then the 9 White Bobwhite but my passion are peafowl. Only have these because given to me by lady that didn't want them eaten, LOL!! They will live out a good life here. I enjoy having them in such a huge aviary on the ground and they love it as well. I really enjoy them.

Thanks for the response.  The Game Bird starter looks preety small and they seem to be able to eat it,   Does it need to be powdered?  

Well rats....mine acted like it was to large of pieces so I ground it up more. If yours is eating it it's ok. Just don't let them go hungry. Maybe the crumble you have is finer the Purina.

Quote:
I'm not sure what brand it is. Someone gave me some to feed her duck hatchlings and it was just in a Ziplock. I may crush some anyway just to be safe. I have them in qwith 3 guinea keets that are just a few days older and maybe it's them that are making the level in the dish go down.

Does anyone what know what a good price for day olds would be?

I have some of mine in an aviary and some in wire cages. I am trying to focus on topknot quail like valley, scaled, gambel, mountain, and benson.

Have you had any problems with snakes getting quail in the aviary? What size openings are in your wire? I'm going to pick up some minnow traps in the next couple days. Have seen they are great for catching snakes. Only problem is I'll have to protect the trap if outside the aviary. Raccoons will tear them up getting to the egg. I'd rather catch the snakes before they go in where the quail are. Neighbor and friend not too far away called this morning and said "Be forewarned...the snakes are out in full force". He has a lot of birds and eggs so has killed some really big rat snakes. Often finds them after they've swallowed chicks.

I looked up pictures of the quail you mention. Love the way some of them look. LOL, all pets to me.....know you are looking at having them for different reasons. I'm tempted to hatch the quail eggs I'm getting. What temp., humidity and how long?? Peafowl is 28 days at 99.5, humidity 60.

Back
Top Bottom