Bob white quail thread!!

Have you had any problems with snakes getting quail in the aviary? What size openings are in your wire? I'm going to pick up some minnow traps in the next couple days. Have seen they are great for catching snakes. Only problem is I'll have to protect the trap if outside the aviary. Raccoons will tear them up getting to the egg. I'd rather catch the snakes before they go in where the quail are. Neighbor and friend not too far away called this morning and said "Be forewarned...the snakes are out in full force". He has a lot of birds and eggs so has killed some really big rat snakes. Often finds them after they've swallowed chicks.

I looked up pictures of the quail you mention. Love the way some of them look. LOL, all pets to me.....know you are looking at having them for different reasons. I'm tempted to hatch the quail eggs I'm getting. What temp., humidity and how long?? Peafowl is 28 days at 99.5, humidity 60.
We dont have snakes any bigger around than a nickle....too cold up here! So I cant help you there!

But yes, I am having a blast with them! And they arent as hard as people say....I havent had any problems with any but coturnix.....they are a handful when you have a whole bunch of pens. Incubation is easy.....All quail except coturnix varieties take 23 days to incubate at 99.5 and I do a 40% humidity until lockdown then I do about 65%

I now have 4 snowflakes that are 12 weeks old (blue bands) and 2 that are 8 weeks old (yellow bands).

They all look the same to me and it looks like I may have all hens. What luck!!

They are hard to take a pic of and I don't think any yellow bands are easily seen. Will anyone give an opinion on the sex of these guys that I did get a pic of?

I have 3 others that are only 3 weeks old and no pics yet.

I'm not sure what brand it is. Someone gave me some to feed her duck hatchlings and it was just in a Ziplock. I may crush some anyway just to be safe. I have them in qwith 3 guinea keets that are just a few days older and maybe it's them that are making the level in the dish go down.

Does anyone what know what a good price for day olds would be?
I know this is an older post but I just saw it. I too raise white bobwhite. Someone gave me 9 eggs and I hatched them. All but one hatched, one died in the shell during hatch and two drowned! One was born doing somersaults and ended up drowning as well. The rest are doing well and I love them. They are completely feathered and really sweet. I keep them with red golden pheasants.

I feed regular game bird crumbles but when they were hatchlings, I used a spray bottle and misted the food just enough so that it didn't get soggy, just moist. My little ones scarf the softened food. (learned that from my peachicks)

Finally, I can tell my boys and girls apart!!
One Rooster and two hens here. I had awful luck with my hatches and lost quite a few that did hatch.
The USPS played kick ball with my egg shipments (5 in all).

Ended up with 7 girls and 2 boys, both of which hatched from Gunrunner eggs. Very happy with that.
Ages 12 wks - 20 wks. No eggs yet.

7 girls and 2 boys couldn't be a better match. If I get anymore bobwhites they will surely have color so I can sex them. Of the nine I had I think 3 were female but not sure. They died after breeding season. Broke my heart since they are pets. I only have 5 left and believe them to be males. Since I keep them on the ground in an 8 by 28 foot pen with 9 foot ceilings with 2 Red Golden pheasant I think worms killed them. I'm worming every month to 2 months now instead of every 6 months. The last 5 seem to be doing well. Love your picture!

7 girls and 2 boys couldn't be a better match. If I get anymore bobwhites they will surely have color so I can sex them. Of the nine I had I think 3 were female but not sure. They died after breeding season. Broke my heart since they are pets. I only have 5 left and believe them to be males. Since I keep them on the ground in an 8 by 28 foot pen with 9 foot ceilings with 2 Red Golden pheasant I think worms killed them. I'm worming every month to 2 months now instead of every 6 months. The last 5 seem to be doing well. Love your picture!
Thanks, I was so stressed and disappointed with how the hatches went. I was so confused with what sexes I had and it turned out my two boys were from the last hatch of only 3 chicks. I could finally see the difference at @ 10 weeks, it was almost overnight. I had pics at 8 weeks and all of them looked alike. Then BOOM, the collar showed up and the head was white-white.

Back
Top Bottom